📚📚 Read every day challenge - Summer 2021 🏖🏖

Skipped reading yesterday because I remembered it about the time I was going to bed. And this is about reading more overall, not hitting every day like clockwork. I’d much rather skip a day and happily read the next day than making reading a chore to check off a to do list. ^^

Today I read about half of part 4 in the Ask Graded Reader lvl 4 vol 1. The story was quite interesting to start and I found myself reading further than I had first meant to, despite the text being quite dense. Like not hard dense, but it definitely felt meaty to read.

7 Likes

It’s pretty horrible. I hate the lag when you switch to the app. Text selection for me picks up the correct word with just the long press, however, so that’s not that bad. Very rarely do I have to manually select it.

June 3rd: Read chapter 29 of Yotsuba. Also read chapter 10 of Digimon V-Tamers
June 4th: Chapter 30 of Yotsuba
June 5th: Chapter 31 of Yotsuba

I do notice my reading and comprehension getting faster just from forcing myself to read more consistently. While still fatiguing, I feel my stamina getting better.

10 Likes

Main post

Day 5:
Satori Reader: Kiki-Mimi Radio, Episode 8.
Final Fantasy III: 2h.

6 Likes

:ballot_box_with_check: Day 5

I tried to reach my goal (to finish chapter 1), and was two pages away around midnight — BUT FELL ASLEEP! haha

So I woke up early this morning, and finished the first chapter of カラフル. So much drama!

Today's interesting words/phrases

影の薄い = inconspicuous
やけ酒 = drowning one’s cares in a drink
もったいぶる = to withhold (juicy) info on purpose
ふさわしい = cut out for

10 Likes

Summary post

Day 5: June 5th
What did I read?: 不可解なぼくのすべてを Vol. 1
How much did I read?: 1 chapter and a little because I wanted to see what the very dramatically announced 提案 was xD (27 pages)
How long did it take me?: 34 min

Man, I had a hard time getting myself to open up a book and read today. Procrastination station over here. Now I’m tired. But I like this manga so far, I’m enjoying getting to know the characters better. Which begs the question, why was I struggling so hard to open it? :upside_down_face: sigh Why am I like this… struggling to stop myself from being even more negative
…I did do the thing eventually, though. I suppose that counts for something.

11 Likes

Summary post

June 6th reading からかい上手の高木さん chapter 3
I finished the end of page 6 (which I started yesterday), and then also got through pages 7, 8, and 9.

I only got through so many pages as a few of them were quite light. It probably took me like an hour but I wasn’t great at keeping track of time today.

Edit: I went to a cafe and read some more, chapter 3 page 10 was rough so took me quite a while and I only made it partway through. Was super fun though!

6 Likes

Finished my book and decided to read 変身 before bed just to see what it was popular for. Maaaaaan…what the hell. I wish I didn’t now

8 Likes

I used ebook Japan until they got bought by yahoo. Then bookwalker, but I’m honest sick of reading on my phone or tablet even with dark mode on, so I’ve been slowing switching to Amazon Japan for books and keeping manga on bookwalker.

I bought a cheap Kindle just for my jp reading. I’ve been pinged once or twice by Amazon, but a VPN and a Japanese address (my tenso one) have so far made that go away.

I know other people have used booklive and honto but I’m not personally familiar with them.

1 Like

Wiki post

June 5 Update

Today’s reading came from からかい上手の高木さん. I ended up reading all of chapter 6, so I can check off this week’s reading for that book club. Took about 15 minutes, give or take, and I only had to look up a few words. The range of difficulty, compared to the manga I usually read, is both refreshing and greatly desired.

I think you and I were the same person today. Almost “forgot” to read until I realized the day was nearly over, and then I immediately reached for the easiest thing I could read and still check this off.

Thank you for this synopsis, and also how it relates to you! I know what you mean about cis authors focusing on the trauma, and it was a large part of the reason I stopped reading LGBT works a while ago. It’s good to find authors who can focus on other aspects of the queer experience. It’s good to know that this story decides to explore relationships with friends.

I do think Naruto does a good job repeating many of the new words that come up fairly frequently rather than just throwing a ton of vocabulary at you (which is what Haikyuu decided to go with).

8 Likes

Main post

How come I always found time to read each day and as soon as I decided to join this challenge it’s been ridiculously busy… :sweat_smile:

June 3 - was so busy, had to stay up past midnight just so I could get 3.5 pages of 夏目友人帳 read.
reading

June 4 - another busy day, also had to stay up late to get some reading in, 4 pages of 夏目友人帳 this time.
June 5 - rinse and repeat, busy day, managed to read 3.5 pages of 夏目友人帳.
At this point I was getting really discouraged since my reading speed was so slow. Excluding my past attempts at reading No. 6 and Durarara!! 7+ years ago this is my first serious attempt at reading a light novel. The lack of furigana and the author’s penchant for using less common vocabulary isn’t helping with the speed either. It was late, I was tired, but I also wanted to get some more reading in so I decided to read some manga. Read 21 pages of 乙女ゲーム without much trouble. I think I’m going to mix up my reading a bit - read the light novel when I have a lot of free time and the mental enegery needed to tackle it and stick to manga when I just want to get the bare minimum reading in.

10 Likes

Where did you find it? I was looking for it some time ago but it wasn’t on Bookwalker or anywhere I checked.

1 Like

If it is this book… 『変身』|本のあらすじ・感想・レビュー - 読書メーター, it can be found on Amazon and Rakuten.

2 Likes

Nah, it’s a manga, an eromanga to be specific.

1 Like

oh… :laughing:

3 Likes

Main post

June 5 update yesterday was a bit of a write off. I had my covid vaccine on Friday and ended up being exhausted and fevery all day yesterday. Thankfully feeling back to normal today! Anyway, because of this, I didn’t achieve my goal of 1 manga chapter (or 2 light novel pages) of something that isn’t a re-read daily, but I did still read something so still counting it. I re-read the weeks ハイキュー chapter for the bookclub readalong (which I ended up feeling too tired to attend) and then read about 14 pages spaced out over the whole day to finish off the chapter I was on of やがて君になる. It’s maybe been a month since I last read やがて君になる and I was pleasantly surprised to find that it felt very easy to read (which tbh probably the only reason I could make it through). I definitely wouldn’t have read anything if not for this challenge, I was very much powered on stubbornness alone. Looking forward to getting back to ボーイズ・ラン・ザ・ライオット today! It is a bit on the tricky side and has minimal furigana so it was too much for my brain yesterday but I really want to read more!

13 Likes

Just googling, I could find a manga called 変身 on cmoa and comic walker but it doesn’t sound ero, so maybe it’s different?
(I don’t want to check the content, just in case).

1 Like

Yeah, I don’t think it’s it. So this eromanga is called Metamorphosis in English and has become sort of a meme.

I don’t know much about it except it supposedly has a depressing storyline where the main character goes through tough life situations and changes (hence the title).

It’s a one-off manga. May even be a doujinshi.

I saw it’s sold on FAKKU but it’s an English version.

1 Like

Oookay nope that’s too much info for me. I’m going to back off slowly from this conversation.

6 Likes

Looked it up on Wikipedia…
Yeah, I’d rather back off slowly from this converstation too :sweat_smile:

3 Likes