Satori Reader: Kiki-Mimi Radio, Chapters 5 and 6.
June 3nd. Time: 30+ min. Manga Pages: 4
What: Manga からかい上手の高木さん (Volume 1), current pick of ABBC. Chapter 5, Pages 5-8.
Again, lots of pictures, and they are funny, highly recommend.
Day 3 brings my novel reading from the 9% mark up to the 11% mark, for an increase of
2%. I’m actually still on track!
Although it may be premature to say, I’m feeling this will for sure be the first novel I actually finish. The reading experience is quite different from my three prior attempts with other novels.
Today’s learning intersection:
1. I’ve been struggling a bit with 促す as a recent WaniKani lesson, and it came up in today’s reading:
子どもたちはコナンに 促されて 香春電話ボックスを見た。
I’ll still have trouble remembering the reading, though.
Today’s manga reading:
俺物語!! Volume 8 (first chapter)
Sometimes I think it’s much easier to include the furigana in the reading mnemonic. Like, “When the leader urges an unagi with his feet, una-gas comes out.” Or something?
I’ve had about a 5% success rate using mnemonics.
Thankfully for now everything I read has furigana. But I’ll be seeing the word in WaniKani for a long time to come.
Day 3: June 3rd
What did I read?: 不可解なぼくのすべてを Vol. 1
How much did I read?: 1 chapter (28 pages)
How long did it take me?: 45 min…ish (man am I bad at time)
I caught up with the Yotsuba book club yesterday, so I thought I would revisit this book club pick today. (And it looks like I’m not the only one ) I started it with the book club, read exactly one chapter, and then just never…really…read the rest of it for some reason xD …Looks like the book club started mid-February, so I’m guessing the reason was work stress running me into the ground. I have a few of these unfinished book club books/series hanging around in my book piles. I think I will make it my mission to whittle that list down during this challenge.
Also added some fancy calendars to my first post
Started reading 1Q84, a book by Haruki Murakami. A friend of mine started reading it and recommended it to me so I gave it a shot. I quite enjoy it but it’s a bit out of my reach kanji-wise so I can’t read a lot of pages everyday. I manage maybe 10-15 pages before I take a break, so around an hour per day of reading.
I read another 70 pages yesterday, making me reach 300 pages, with 150 left (so 2-3 more days I guess).
Continuing my rant, we now figure out where the deadly virus comes from.
… of course. Well, after that AI thing, you know, whatever I guess?
Gotta love how they sent it to Earth: in a bioengineered mammal that came out of an egg made of carbon fibers (to resist both the heat of atmospheric entry and the impact; thermal isolation is provided by fur, and the heat+impact is just right to crack the egg open, allowing the creature outside). Boy, that’s such an elaborate technical feat for, basically, no purpose? Couldn’t you just use your crazy tech to simply spread the virus everywhere at once? Or a single place, anyway, if you want to give humanity enough time to adapt to the virus and live in symbiosis with it instead, as seems to be the case.
I’m based in Sydney, so I had a similar thought process, it went from “my summer vacation is quite a while away…” to “oh wait, I’m not a student anymore, so I don’t actually have summer vacation…”.
Count me in. I’m currently part of an/the ABBC so I’m nominally reading most days. I will be taking a few days vacation soon, and at some point soon I have to move houses, so pretty much impossible that I’ll actually read every day.
(Calendar stolen from @naevyah above!)
Updates / Log
- June 1st 高木さん finished chapter 2
- June 2nd 高木さん started chapter 3, pages 2 and part of 3
- June 3rd 高木さん chapter 3 pages 3 & 4
- June 4th 高木さん chapter 3 page 5
- June 5th 高木さん chapter 3 most of page 6 (spent most of the day flat hunting, exhausted)
- June 6th 高木さん chapter 3 finished pages 6, 7, 8, and 9. Started page 10.
- June 7th 高木さん chapter 3 finished page 10, was a long & difficult one.
- June 8th 高木さん chapter 3 page 11.
- June 9th 高木さん chapter 3 pages 12, 13, 14, 15, and 16.
- June 10th 高木さん started chapter 4, pages 2 and most of 3.
- June 11th 高木さん chapter 4 page 4 panel 1
- June 12th 高木さん chapter 4 rest of page 4
- June 13th 高木さん chapter 4 page 5 panel 2
- June 14th 高木さん chapter 4 rest of page 5 (panels 3, 4, and 5)
- June 15th 高木さん chapter 4 page 6.
- June 16th 高木さん chapter 4 page 7.
- June 17th 高木さん chapter 4 started page 8.
- June 18th 高木さん chapter 4 page 8 panels 4 and 5
- June 19th 高木さん chapter 4 page 8 panel 6
- June 20th 高木さん chapter 4 page 9 panel 1
- June 21st 高木さん chapter 4 page 9 panel 2
- June 22nd 高木さん chapter 4 page 9 panel 3
- June 23rd 高木さん chapter 4 page 10 panel 3
- June 24th 高木さん chapter 4 page 10 panel 4 and ~30-60 minutes of Super Mario Odyssey in Japanese
- June 25th 高木さん chapter 4 page 10 panel 5 and ~30-60 minutes of Super Mario Odyssey in Japanese
- June 26th 高木さん chapter 4 page 11 panels 1 and 2 and ~30-60 minutes of Super Mario Odyssey in Japanese
- June 27th 高木さん chapter 4 page 11 panel 3 and ~30 minutes of working through Super Mario Odyssey screenshots I took during play over the other days.
- June 28th からかい上手の高木さん chapter 4 page 11 panel 4
- June 29th からかい上手の高木さん chapter 4 page 12 panel 2
- June 30th からかい上手の高木さん chapter 4 page 12 panel 3
- July 1st からかい上手の高木さん chapter 4 page 13 panel 1, and チーズスイートホーム chapter 1 (8 pages)
- July 2nd からかい上手の高木さん chapter 4 page 13 panel 3, and チーズスイートホーム vol 1 chapter 2 (8 pages)
- July 3rd からかい上手の高木さん chapter 4 page 13 panels 4 and 5, all of page 14, all of page 15, and half of page 16. 8 non-trivial/difficult panels in total.
- July 4th からかい上手の高木さん chapter 4 page 16 one panel.
- July 5th からかい上手の高木さん last remaining panel from Chapter 4 (page 16)
- July 6th からかい上手の高木さん chapter 5 first 6 pages =O
- July 7th からかい上手の高木さん chapter 5 pages 7 and 8.
- July 8th からかい上手の高木さん chapter 5 final EIGHT PAGES - finishing chapter 5 in 3 days \o/
- July 9th からかい上手の高木さん started chapter 6, most of first 3 pages despite work and packing boxes.
- July 10th からかい上手の高木さん 2 panels from page 5 of chapter 6.
- July 11th からかい上手の高木さん Chapter 6 1 difficult panel and a few trivial ones.
- July 12th からかい上手の高木さん 2 difficult / non-trivial panels from Chapter 6.
- July 13th からかい上手の高木さん chapter 6 page 7 (3 difficult panels, 1 noop, 1 easy).
- July 14th からかい上手の高木さん 3 pages from chapter 6.
- July 15th からかい上手の高木さん 2 pages from chapter 6.
- July 16th からかい上手の高木さん final 4 pages to finish chapter 6.
- July 17th からかい上手の高木さん started chapter 7 and read 4 non-trivial pages (pages 2, 3, 4, and 5).
- July 18th からかい上手の高木さん chapter 7 pages 6, 7, and 8.
- July 19th からかい上手の高木さん chapter 7 - pages 9 and 10.
- July 20th からかい上手の高木さん 9 pages - chapter 7 pages 11,12,13,14,15,16 and chapter 8 pages 2,3,4.
July 21st からかい上手の高木さん translated 2 pages from chapter 8, and then wrote out another
5 pagesmake that 7 pages.
- July 22nd からかい上手の高木さん translated 2 pages from chapter 8, and then wrote out another 3 pages from the start of chapter 9.
- July 23rd からかい上手の高木さん (1) 2 and a bit panels from chapter 8, チーズスイートホーム (1) chapter 3
- July 24th からかい上手の高木さん (1) wrote out remaining 17 pages from this volume, 1 page from (2), and then read チーズスイートホーム (1) chapter 4.
- July 25th chapter 5 of チーズスイートホーム (1), and 2 pages of からかい上手の高木さん (2)
- July 26th chapter 6 of チーズスイートホーム (1), and 1 page of からかい上手の高木さん (2).
- July 27th chapter 7 of チーズスイートホーム (1).
- July 28th chapter 8 of チーズスイートホーム (1) and 1 difficult panel from からかい上手の高木さん (2).
- July 29th ~6 panels of catch-up from chapter 8 of からかい上手の高木さん (1) + a few panels from chapter 9 of チーズスイートホーム (1).
- July 30th 4 pages of からかい上手の高木さん (2) broken down
- July 31st One page from からかい上手の高木さん (2)
You might want to mark it as a spoiler because we don’t get to this point until about 40% in
So far they had 3 mysteries. And while the first one was ok (how come Chitanda got locked in the classroom?) the next one about girls borrowing a book every Friday was so anticlimactic. But even that wanes in comparison to the mundane situation: “senpai didn’t want others to know he was smoking”. So it all wentdownhill. I don’t care what the uncle told little Chitanda that made her cry…
Oopsy. You’re right. I edited my post.
Actually the one about smoking was the only one that felt like a big deal to me, since he would be expelled for that and, since high school isn’t mandatory in Japan, good luck finding a new one and passing the university entrance exams. That could break that guy’s life. Not that I personally care about it (since, meh, it’s his fault), but it’s still a big deal (for him).
Now the spoiler is in your quote .
Yeah, I know, fixed it
I didn’t think about it this way. Where I’m from half of the boys in class where doing it since middle school anyway.
Not sure how strict Japan is regarding it but the situation itself felt so common in real life that I couldn’t care reading about it in a novel.
It’s illegal for people under 20 to smoke, so it will depends if the police gets involved or not. If they do, the parents and the teacher in charge may be heavily fined and even go to jail. If possible, the school will keep things quiet though.
The minimum would be to exclude him for one or two weeks, assuming he would not do it again. That being said, he has implemented an elaborate plan to not be found out, which is an aggravating factor, so it could be a month or more (again, depending on the school). In any case, the teacher in charge of the club is probably in troubles if it’s found out.
Started chapter 1 of カラフル！I felt like I read a lot, but then realized it had only been like 5 pages haha. Taking a break, but will read more later to get to my goal – which is half a chapter everyday. 16 chapters total means a little over a months worth of reading.
Today's Interesting Words/Phrases
金切り声 = shrill voice, piercing cry
肩をいからせ = to square off one’s sholders
スカする = to act indifferent, cocky
睡魔 = drowsiness (an external force)
Extremely new here, but this sounds like a great first thread to be a part of! I’m still in the early stages on WaniKani (though I have lived in Japan so recognise quite a lot without knowing the exact readings etc.) so I’ll just be doing NHK News Easy and some graded readers!
I updated the summary table and added the links to the summary posts I found in the thread:
I think it could be nice place to find all of them.
Now I need to create a summary post for myself too
Read Japanese novels every day during the summer (June 1 - Aug 31) to:
- develop a reading habit
- improve reading speed
- pick up new vocabulary
- practice kanji recognition
Completed days: 30 / 30
Completed days: 4 / 31
This list only includes books that I plan to read in advance. Online articles and random manga I read on a whim doesn’t count.
- 214 / 214 pages
蜘蛛ですが、なにか？ Vol 5
- reading now (329 pages)
蜘蛛ですが、なにか？ Vol 6
蜘蛛ですが、なにか？ Vol 7
メイドインアビス Vol 7
- finished but need to re-read the last chapter
メイドインアビス Vol 8
- want to read before Vol 10 comes out
メイドインアビス Vol 9
- want to read before Vol 10 comes out
メイドインアビス Vol 10
- not out yet but should be coming out this summer