📚📚 Read every day challenge - Summer 2021 🏖🏖

I finished volumes 1 and 2 of One Piece and started volume 3.

I finished volumes 3 and 4, started volume 5.

I didn’t have anything much going on on Sunday, so I read a bunch of One Piece, finishing volumes 5 to 10. The I remembered that I wanted to read a chapter of 1Q84 over the weekend. :woman_facepalming: I read half a chapter before bed and left the rest for today.

11 Likes

The next manga I started is 虫籠のカガステル. I don’t like bugs therefore it’s not that fun reading a manga about giant bugs. But I will endure somehow.

10 Likes

In last two days I’ve finished about 12-14 pages of Forbidden Scrollery(2). Can’t say for certain, as Bookwalker is being nasty with bookmarks. I’m pretty sure it silently deleted my fresh bookmarks at some point as the most recent lead to page which I definitely read. Chapter of abstract dancing is complete and so is 68% of the volume.

10 Likes

Summary post
July 26

・Read Re:ゼロから始める異世界生活1(11% → 15%)

11 Likes

Last week was rough. Mental health not so great - having lots of feelings. Not particularly motivated during the week, so I picked up volume 8 of Chi’s Sweet Home to put in at least a chapter or two before bed each night. It wasn’t much reading, but at least I kept going (and Chi is always adorable). I’m so glad that I have some ‘light’ reading available to keep things moving forward.

Yesterday I was curious enough to pick up a light novel (パパのいうことを聞きなさい) that I bought a few years ago after enjoying the anime and see where I was at as far as being able to read it. It was still a slog, but my grammar and kanji have clearly improved, since I could get the gist of most sentences. and looking up the kanji was definitely less painful than in the past (I know more of them - although I still have mixed feelings about the very limited furigana - it’s nice for practicing my recall and a bit of a confidence boost when I see and know characters, but pain in the butt for unknown kanji). Reading is very slow, 2-3 pages yesterday and another 2-3 today.

I know I’m missing things, and having moments where I recognize all the grammar but can’t seem to make it into a coherent whole, but it was very satisfying. Not sure if I’m in the right place yet to really take on reading the whole thing, but it did help get me out of my slump and into some focused studying/learning, so I’ll take it.

11 Likes

Summary post

Day 56: July 26th
What did I read?: シメジ シミュレーション Vol. 2
How much did I read?: 20 pages (2 chapters)
How long did it take me?: 1 hour

Sooo this manga was definitely on my to-do list at the beginning of this challenge but I 100% forgot that I had planned to read it until just now. This is another one that I fully intended to read with the book club but then I just…didn’t xD Hoping I can mayyyybe squeeze in the rest of this volume before the official end of the challenge? I love these first 2 chapters, especially chapter 12. I want the murder cactus to be my new best friend lol

10 Likes

Home post. July 27th Chapter 7 of チーズスイートホーム (1). Too exhausted to do anything else.

10 Likes

7 more pages of Forbidden Scrollery(2). In the new chapter books are moving on their own. Who would you call? A ghost buster? Nah, just place a rock on books. What can possibly go wrong. Also I’m somewhat busy with my pet programming project, so I probably will reduce pace significantly.

8 Likes

I have not done an update in a while as moved into a new job and been overwhelmingly busy. But I have read something everyday! Satori reader has saved me on some days, and I only managed about a page of NO. 6 yesterday before getting too sleepy but still, I’m glad to still keep doing a little bit at least :slight_smile:

9 Likes

Summary post
July 27

・Read Re:ゼロから始める異世界生活1(15% → 20%)

Started another book too but it doesn’t count :caught_durtling: And an English one as well

11 Likes

I only have the first chapter of 虫籠のカガステル finished it today. Then I started 魔法少女は恋しない which I also only have the first chapter of. This time it’s a magical girl manga. Only read the first half of the chapter.

It makes me sad that the challenge ends Saturday, I would love to continue.

10 Likes

1Q84 Book 3: 25 Pages, up to page 97.

10 Likes

Summary post

Day 57: July 27th
How much did I read?: 20 pages (2 chapters)
How long did it take me?: 35 min

More casual weirdness :heart: Not gonna lie, I really want Majime’s big stuffed salamander, it’s cute as heckkk. (But honestly, オオサンショウウオ? What kind of a word is that lol, it’s so many vowels xD)

10 Likes

Home post July 28th read chapter 8 of チーズスイートホーム (1) and translated 1 difficult panel from からかい上手の高木さん (2). Another day of being way too tired for anything more, and even feeling too tired for this.

12 Likes

Forbidden Scrollery (2), 14 pages in one day, end of chapter 第十二話. Not bad considering I wanted to slow down.

Word of last two days is 付喪神

Tsukumogami - Wikipedia
For only reason I wrote it down yesterday and today I remembered both its reading and meaning.
I’m playing with a format for writing down unknown interesting words, current one is

付喪神 【つくもがみ】[n] artifact spirit; in folk belief, long-lived objects (household objects, living beings, nature, etc.) become inhabited by a spirit
 付 Kun: つ-> つく; adhere; attach; refer to; append
 喪 Kun: も; miss; mourning
 神 Kun: かみ; gods; mind; soul

喪 is hard to remember, but I remember that deepl believes 付喪神 is a mourning god, and since neither 付 nor 神 are about morning, 喪 is the only candidate for grieving.
Today there were no word that seemed to be worth writing down.

9 Likes

Unfortunately weird things in my life turned into bad things in my life after all, and my reading speed slowed down to a crawl, but I still did something every day.
What’s more, at this point I ambitiously would like to try to do a 100-day streak. :thinking:

Summary post

Day 30
July 25

• カラフル (25 → 30%)

Day 31
July 26

• 乙女ゲームの破滅フラグしかない悪役令嬢に転生してしまった…5 (37% → 39%)

Day 32
July 27

• 乙女ゲームの破滅フラグしかない悪役令嬢に転生してしまった…5 (39% → 42%)

Day 33
July 28

• 乙女ゲームの破滅フラグしかない悪役令嬢に転生してしまった…5 (42% → 44%)

Thank you for your response :heart:

11 Likes

Summary post
July 28

・Read Re:ゼロから始める異世界生活1(20% → 21%) Just a few pages, was probably less than 1% :eyes:

Not Japanese stuff

I finished English book :caught_durtling: Great book! Has interesting format - quite the visual experience. Reminded me that I like sci-fi, totally forgot. It’s called “Illuminae”, and is written by Amie Kaufman and Jay Kristoff. I won’t write about the plot - not good at not spoiling stuff, but one thing I can mention is that it is set in the future and outer space. (Which means there are futuristic words. I enjoyed those.)

I’m super impressed at how much work must have been put into every detail of the story and the format/layout. Very design, much wow :ok_hand: I’ll probably start the sequel tomorrow, bought that one too years ago. I feel like I’ve read these before but I can’t remember xD

Anyway, did non-Japanese stuffs today:P

10 Likes

I finished the 2nd half of chapter 10 of 1Q84 book 2-1. :partying_face: I also read One Piece volumes 11-14.

Yesterday I read another 3 volumes of One Piece, 15-17, and finished off volume 5 of the 電子版 of 異世界妹. Volume 6 gets released on the 30th! :slight_smile: Wonder if it’s going to be part of unlimited right off the bat…

Today I read yet another few volumes of One Piece, 18-21, and chapter 11 of 1Q84. which means… I’m actually caught up the next chapter is the one we’re currently reading. I’ll try to finish the last chapter by the weekend and then devote some time to 人間失格 on the weekend itself.

9 Likes

1Q84 Book 3, 18 pages. 37% complete

9 Likes

Summary post

Day 58: July 28th
How much did I read?: 24 pages (2 chapters)
How long did it take me?: 1 hour

Enjoyable chapters, as always. What a great cactus pun :joy: Also, I love this weird image of ancient civilization they arrive at in Chapter 16, with the mosasaurus that wears glasses :joy:

10 Likes