📚📚 Read every day challenge - Fall/Autumn 2021 🍁🍂🦝

So sorry to hear about your cat, that absolutely sucks.

7 Likes

Thanks :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: I knew she was a little old lady cat when I adopted her and she got to have a comfy last few years but always sad to lose a pet. Appreciate the well wishes :slight_smile:

13 Likes

:fallen_leaf: :raccoon: :full_moon: :: TANUKIDATE 20211020 :: :full_moon: :raccoon: :fallen_leaf:

Day L: この音とまれ! pg.89-93 & 亡霊の恩返し :sake:

4 pages today!

Read today’s world-folktale, which this time is from China, about the ghost of a river. I kept getting confused with the use of “許” here but it turns out that’s the guy’s name, “Xu” (in Mandarin, at least, that’s what my searching tells me).

Today is also リサイクルの日, recycling day!

~ New Words ~
山東省 (さんとうしょう) - Shandong Province, China
さかずき (杯) - Sake cup
川岸 (かわぎし) - Riverbank
身代わり (みがわり) - Substitution (for someone else); Scapegoat; Sacrifice
守り神 (まもりがみ) - Guardian Deity

I hope you get better soon and get some time to rest!

Those lingering moods are always the worst, I hope you feel better soon!

I’m so sorry to hear this! :crying_cat_face:
Though it sounds like her last few years were very happy ones!

It’s sad to hear many of you have it rough lately, all the best to you all! :raccoon:

OH NO they’re all so pudgy!!

14 Likes

Home post

Day 49:

日本語: I read some of パノラマ島綺譚, a bit of それでも歩は寄せてくる, and a bit of 魔王城でおやすみ.

中国語

中国語: I read 计谋.

12 Likes

:jack_o_lantern: My tiny summary post :ghost:

October 20 re: no time, even the teachers are saying “the total workload for your courses is greater than that of a full-time job” :skull_and_crossbones:
・Honzuki 6. (62% → 63%).

Good thing I read a bit just before sleep and after waking up. Feels kinda weird. I’m too stubborn to take a break, definitely not recommended. Get yo sleep, I say, while not getting enough sleep

14 Likes

:house_with_garden: home post

What did I read:

:heavy_check_mark: Day 42(10月 20日) :sparkles:
暁のヨナ , chapter 42, read-aloud with bookclub.
歴史366, 3 stories, ~20min

13 Likes

thank you so much, you’re so kind…;; i tried, today I was better, but the past few hour, not so much again…

I can’t believe it… the cutest penguin has made it here asdjsakdj

I hope you feel better soon!

the futon song is my jaaaaam, it’s an everyday mood

9 Likes

Just 30 more pages of エデンの檻. Still very busy so no vocabulary list today.

11 Likes

Summary post

Day 50: October 20
What did I read?: コウペンちゃん :penguin:
How much did I read?: 25 pages
How long did it take me?: 9 min

I need this on my wall tbh, by my desk

My favorite word today is さておき - setting aside; leaving to one side​. This is why

Polar bear to penguin: Did you know that polar bears live in the north pole and penguins live in the south pole?
Penguin: Ohhh, I see :o Then where are we now?
Polar bear: …
それはさておき, did you know that Venus has really fast wind
:rofl:

On another note, I’ve made a decision, and that decision is that I’m going to pause my challenge streak for the next few days. I have family coming to visit and I may or may not have time to read, but I don’t want to be stressing about it either. I’m feeling a little stressed out and overwhelmed by work other stuff anyway. So I’m going to pause intentionally from Thursday to Sunday, and add those 4 days back on at the end. As long as I resume something on Monday, I’m considering my streak not broken. I am making up my own rules now xD But intentional/predefined pauses are ok, I think. It’s the undefined ones that turn into permanent breaks lol

Thanks :heart: I think I will feel a little better when I take a few days away from work with my family. …I hope

Thanks and same to you! :heart:

Omg, that manga looks so cute, definitely going in the shopping cart (I was just thinking of placing another order for more books haha, what good timing)

Oh nooooo it’s so cute D: D: D:
I wanna snuggle that smol fluffy bird so bad, omg
Do I, a quote “adult,” need more cute fluffy things in my apartment…no. …But also yes :rofl: I definitely didn’t already just buy a squishy red panda last week - absolutely no regrets, he’s so soft and I love him so much
…Omg, there’s a mug. And a hand towel. And a phone case
Ahhhh

Omg, I think it is :joy: how cute

:frowning: Sorry to hear that!

Yay yay yay!! :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: I hope you love it (and that my spoilery updates/commentary didn’t/don’t ruin the experience for you :rofl:)

17 Likes

I find that when I read anisongs, I can actually sort of parse the meaning when they use kanji that I know and they don’t sing too fast. It means that I am slowly and steadily inching towards my goal: the ability to read manga in its original language with fluent comprehension.

9 Likes

Summary Post

October 20th
Final Fantasy XIV

Random words
  • 済み = ずみ arranged, taken care of, settled, completed, finished. (suffix)

Same vibes as yesterday: proper and long practice, but didn’t feel like adding many words today. Also I have cancelled my Satori Reader subscription for now, because I saw that the bill was coming tomorrow and I haven’t been using it frequently this last month, and it doesn’t look like I will in the short term. So now that makes video games my main resource for studying, which I’m hyped about, but I need to mix it with other resources to avoid speaking like a fictional character. I’ve been thinking for some time already about studying lyrics of songs that I like, might be a good idea with the audio reinforcement and the repetition every time I listen to them. Other than that perhaps some blogs or sites with everyday vocabulary would be great, but they need to be about something I’m genuinely interested in or it will be boring and futile. I’ll look into it. Also unrelated to reading but I’d like to find some cool podcasts too, and hopefully start writing somewhere. I need to apply somehow the stuff that I’m learning.

I’m so sorry to hear, that’s unfortunate :pensive: . Such is the cycle of life, I hope that you are able to recover soon and remember your little fluffy friend with a smile on your face :slight_smile: .

14 Likes

Summary post

Day 50: Today I read 4 pages of よつば&!and 2 pages of ツバサ Reservoir Chronicle

14 Likes

I, also allegedly an adult, am firmly in the ‘yes’ camp here and I think perhaps I need one too.

I have managed another couple of days of ズッコケ山賊修業中 thanks to being in the office, which gives me a bit more time to study. It was finally too cold to sit and read in the park before work today though.

As I’m reading, I add words that I don’t know to a list on my JP dictionary app (Takoboto) and then export them into my flashcards at the end after sorting them into various different categories. I added 595 words from the first volume that I began this challenge with! Now I’ve started on a second volume by the same author, I’ve noticed that the words I’m looking up are often the same as the words I looked up in the first volume, so there’s a chance I might learn them naturally through repetition in these books before I get round to them in my flashcards (where I still have a backlog of 764 words from the novel I read in the summer…)

Although the first story has already thrown up some new words like わら頭巾 :

which is this type of hat

Where the last volume had A LOT of different words for clusters of trees, this story has a lot of words for caves. Words that I’d previously thought they were synonyms but now I realise they signify different type of caves since the story described a 空洞 as being like a 洞窟 so I guess I’ve got some fun times ahead of me trying to determine the difference between them.

10 Likes

:fallen_leaf: :raccoon: :full_moon: :: TANUKIDATE 20211021 :: :full_moon: :raccoon: :fallen_leaf:

Day LI: この音とまれ!pg.93-95 & 京河さま :snake:

Just 2 pages today, these past few pages have been rather dialogue heavy.

Read today’s Japanese folktale, from Gifu prefecture, about the snake god of a pond.

A huge, snake god unexpectedly rises from a little pond, it says that the villagers are surprised but their reaction is this:
「だっ、大蛇だー!」 :laughing:
(the audio is very much more enthusiastic but I just found the literal exclamation amusing)

~ New Words ~
ムカデ (百足) - Centipede - also 蜈蚣, same reading.
来る日も来る日も (くるひもくるひも) - Day after day
雨乞い (あまごい) - Praying for rain / Rainmaking ritual - don’t think I’ve ever seen that kanji before (乞)
大蛇 (だいじゃ) - Big snake, but can also be read おろち which is a giant snake of legends.
ポツリポツリ - Bit by bit, but also meaning “in drops” as in rain.

15 Likes

Home post

Day 50:

日本語: I read a bit of パノラマ島綺譚 and a fair amount of 伯爵と妖精 21.
Read-aloud: We read three chapters of 7SEEDS (with one having very few words).

中国語

中国語: I read 新朋友.

12 Likes

Summary post

Day 51: I read 4 pages of よつば&! and 4 pages of ツバサ Reservoir Chronicle.

15 Likes

:jack_o_lantern: My tiny summary post :ghost:

October 21 Yep, my strategy will be to read before falling asleep
・Honzuki 6. (63% → 65%).

Will try to maintain badge :3

ohh, I see. I guess for me it is because I unfollowed a bunch of threads. And also because I just don’t have time to forum much. So the answer will be to follow a bunch of threads again:D But not the poll tread. shakes head

13 Likes

Thank you for linking, I love these!

I was thinking of trying to start an all-Japanese book club on the forums. I’ve done it before, and it’s pretty fun. :blush: The book you’re reading provides a lot of the vocabulary that you need in order to discuss it. Do you think you might be interested?

6 Likes

Summary Post

October 21st
Final Fantasy XIV

Random words
  • 保留 = ほりゅう putting on hold, pending.

Aaaand third day of “I don’t want to add words”! Hopefully tomorrow I can do some Stardew Valley or something and bump it up a bit. Still had practice though, which is what’s important.

I’m not sure I understand, do you mean a book club where everyone discusses what they’re reading in Japanese? Currently I don’t read books, so I’m not sure how I could contribute to something like that :slightly_smiling_face: . I’ve tried joining book clubs two or three times, but unfortunately I was never hooked to what we were reading and I started missing weeks, naturally dropping it soon after.

I was more referring to using either HelloTalk or Lang-8, as I have an account from many years ago ^^ .

10 Likes

Home post - sorry it is a long one, probably best to just skip over it.

I just wanted to say thank you to everyone involved in this group, I keep reflecting on how positive and wholesome this reading club is, and how grateful i am be a part of it.

Hiiiiiiiiiii waving

Wrist update

I have been able to keep up with daily reading despite my wrists still not behaving.

I’ve had to setup voice control software, so that I can type (and program) mostly by voice, this message is 1/2 voice and 1/2 typing. So I’ve been able to keep up full time work, although a bunch of that time was burned setting up this software, but slowly getting more functionality back and the wrists are improving each day.

I have just taught my voice control software how to type in Japanese (I have to spell it out so map → ま, mop → も, ramp → ら, etc), so I’ve been using that to capture some of the more interesting sentences from Demon slayer.

Demon slayer has been super fun and for the most part less difficult than expected, except for one that one character. Thanks everyone for the support, pushes, nudges, and so forth. Especially big thanks to @NicoleIsEnough =D

Big Demon slayer & reading update

Notation: ~12 = page 12 but not 100%, will reread later. t13 = page 13 was trivial
My daily page counts include pages partially read and pages reread, if you add them together it will be more than the total number of pages I read.

Day 1 2021-10-12 - ~2.5 pages
Pages 5, ~9, ~10

Day 2 2021-10-13 - ~3 pages
Reread 5, 9, 10 and went over every sentence in detail

Day 3 2021-10-14 - 5 pages
Pages 11, 12, 13, 14, ~15
Need to redo 15

Day 4 2021-10-15 - 9 pages
Page 15 again
Pages 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, ~23
Need to redo 23

Day 5 2021-10-16 - 12 pages
Page 23 again
Pages 24, 25, ~26, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, most 34, half 35
Need to redo 26, 27, last panel 34, half 35

Day 6 2021-10-17 - 13 + 1 pages
Reread pages 34, 35
Pages 36, 37, ~39, ~40, ~42, t43, t44, ~45, t46, t47, t48
Need to redo 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 45
+1 page from graded reader

Day 7 2021-10-18 - 3 pages
Pages 49, 51, ~52
Need to redo 50, last panel from 52 + from yesterday

Day 8 2021-10-19 - 6 + 4 pages
Pages 52, barely started ~53, t54, t56, t58, t59
Need to redo 52, 53, 55, 57
end chap 1
+4 pages from graded reader

Day 9 2021-10-20 - 2 pages
Reread p55 for real
+1 page from Wadanohara (easy, p84)

Day 10 2021-10-21 - 2 pages
Reread p50 for real, first panel still needs some work
Reread p45

So I was able to get to the end of Chapter 1 understanding the majority / gist in 8 days, which is wwaaaayyy faster than expected. Of course I still have more to break down, in particular for that dude, but trying to find a balance between tolerating ambiguity and breaking down things to improve my grammar.

Here is a photo of a page from the highest level graded reader I have tried so far, really basic Japanese.

Graded reader photo

I’ve so far been enjoying the period and setting, particularly the clothing and style of the people who inhabit this world.

This dude?

If so, omg same.

Hahahaha nice, you finished Volume 1 on the same day I finished Chapter 1 =D

drum roll

\o/
Out of interest is your list of words easily shareable (e.g. export as csv, chuck into google sheets)? No biggie if not, please don’t go out of your way.
I’ve started keeping track of some sentences to eventually add more words to Anki, but have been limited by wrists, but I’m keeping notes of pages to go back to once things improve.

I’m just so very very sorry.

This is just so beautiful.

Honestly, these did seriously improve my day when you first posted them. I’ve kept the tab open ever since so I can have a look each day =D

14 Likes