Today I read 2 pages of よつば&!, like @tiny_river_otter, but tinier.
10 pages today, tired to read as much as I could in case it’s no longer accessible tomorrow.
I came across this word: 紅葉狩り (もみじがり) [Autumn leaf viewing/hunting] - a few days ago and I’ve been curious as to what this exactly is, I found an article that asked just this! - 紅葉狩りは何する？
So it seems that it’s rather similar to the cherry blossom viewing of spring, which also used to be called “hunting” rather than “viewing” - 桜狩り (さくらがり), and was called hunting as it was “going into nature and searching” in a similar way that you’d go hunting for bugs and such.
“Relax in hot spring locations that are well known for their autumnal leafage” - or there abouts
AKA - “Here’s how you can have the most amazing experience ever”
Autumn with hot springs, mountains, picnics in the park… then there’s a list of some of the best places for autumn viewing - pretty much the whole thing has made me want to go to Japan more than ever.
In comparison, English autumns are one sunny day of crisp leaves frolicking in the park followed by endless grey days of rain-saturated leaf-mulch cumulating at the side of the road.
~ New Words! ~
シチュエーション - Situation… that is pretty hard to read.
紅葉 (こうよう) - Autumn Leaves, though it seems to have the nuance of “Autumn Colours” and “leaves turning colour (to red etc.)”, looks like it can refer to just “Autumn Colours” in general too.
営業時間 (えいぎょうじかん) - Business hours
鎌倉時代 (かまくらじだい) - Kamakura Era (1185-1333), that’s how old leaf hunting is thought to be!
ポキポキ - Crunching sound
野山 (のやま) - hills and fields
潮干狩り (しおひがり) - Clam hunting/digging, searching for clams
サラサラ - Quite a lot of meanings: with a rustling sound; Rippling / murmuring; slurping down; with ease, smoothly; smooth and dry; free-flowing
美意識 (びいしき) - Sense of beauty; Aesthetic
(ろてんぶり) (ろてんぶろ) - Open air bath
Are you hungry by any chance?
Might want to double-check your kana: 露天風呂 - Jisho.org
No idea how that happened (hunger most likely), thanks for pointing it out!
日本語: I read a lot of 伯爵と妖精 20.
中国語: I read 吃苹果.
And there is another complete week, hooray!
October 17 Wiii! Was a good day :3
・Honzuki 6. (58% → 60%)
I have to share the funniest sentence I’ve read in a while:
[character] は 埴輪のような顔で固まった。
images of “haniwa”:
What kind of face is that
Oooh, nice!! Which volume are you reading? I’m going through the first one
Day 47: Today I read 4 pages of よつば＆！and four pages of ツバサ Reservoir Chronicle.
Lol this reminds me of one that an author liked to use which was nodding like an akabeko
Today I read 5 pages of よつば＆!
I’m reading volume 4! I went through the first three pretty quickly, then stalled at the beginning of the fourth volume. Maybe that’s when I started reading 魔女犬ボンボン. Anyway, excited to be back.
Final Fantasy XIV
- 意志 = いし will, intention, determination.
- 閉じこもる = とじこもる to seclude oneself, to shut oneself away.
- 作物 = さくもつ crops, produce, farm products.
- 柵 = さく fence.
- 採取 = さいしゅ picking, collecting, harvesting.
Day 47: October 17
What did I read?: ハイ☆スピード!
How much did I read?: 11 pages
How long did it take me?: 2 hours 32 min (I wish I had more stamina to keep going)
Wow, this...a lot is happening right now, please excuse my emotions
I literally knew this was coming from so long ago, so why is it still making me emotional as heck Rin finally dropped the bombshell - he’s going to Australia, the day after the swim meet. To study swimming abroad, to become an Olympic swimmer. (Honestly, doesn’t this sound like the most ロマンチスト Rin thing ever, like this really makes me think of the Rin who wanted to launch a satellite into space for their 6th grade class project)
Ughhh, just the way that it got brought up Makoto, sweet Makoto, being like…you didn’t come to the informational meeting about middle school yesterday. Goodbye my heart. As soon as he said it, I knew we were here, and I just
And then Makoto’s reaction, like why didn’t you say anything? Rin’s been planning it for a long time, before he transferred to Iwatobi even, but he finally just got his acceptance confirmed yesterday. And Haru is pissed off, like why did you come here just to mess everything up and then leave two seconds later, how freaking dare you. And he wants to run away to the water, to escape all these feelings. And in that moment, he realizes that he really is escaping into the water, running away from the world and hiding his feelings that way. That he’s dependent on the water to deal with…life, basically. And that brings up a whole other set of feelings that idk how he’ll deal with yet because my brain ran out of steam right here. Ugh. This chapter is a lot so far.
Every time I think of Rin going to Australia I cannot. Breaking everyone’s hearts over here
Haru does not want to feel his feelings and I can relate
Big read today = many good words
- 競い合う (きそいあう) - to compete with; to vie for
- 前屈 (ぜんくつ) - bend forward
- あいまい - vague; ambiguous; unclear
- 気が引ける (きがひける) - to feel awkward; to feel ashamed; to feel inferior; to feel shy (about doing something)
- あやふや - uncertain; vague; ambiguous
- ポツリポツリ - intermittently; bit by bit; little by little; by ones and twos (what a cute little word)
- 苦笑い (にがわらい) - bitter smile; wry smile; forced smile; strained laugh
- 浮かべる (うかべる) - to show on one’s face (smile, sadness, etc.)
- やたら - indiscriminately; blindly; at random; recklessly; thoughtlessly; excessively; profusely (the kanji for this are 矢鱈 (arrow + codfish) which seems…randomly chosen xD Now envisioning someone senselessly shooting fish in the water with arrows)
- 読み取る (よみとる) - to sense from external cues; to read (someone’s) mind
- 木漏れ日 (こもれび) - sunlight filtering through trees (I have heard this word but it is a pretty word and it makes me happy so I’m putting it here)
- 肝心 (かんじん) - essential; important; crucial; vital; main (the kanji for this are just chef’s kiss liver and heart)
- 行き交う (ゆきかう) - to come and go; to go back and forth
- 引っ掻き回す (ひっかきまわす) - to throw into confusion; to disrupt; to upset; to meddle in
- 抑えきれない (おさえきれない) - uncontainable; irrepressible; uncontrollable
- 奥歯 (おくば) - molars; back teeth
- 対峙 (たいじ) - standing facing each other (e.g. mountains, buildings); standing opposite each other - can also mean confrontation; squaring off against (adversaries, armies, forces); standing off against; holding one’s own with (again - loving these kanji - opposing towers)
- やり場 (やりば) - outlet (for one’s anger, etc.); place (to turn one’s eyes, to vent one’s dissatisfaction, etc.)
- 封じ込む (ふうじこむ) - to entrap
- 衝動 (しょうどう) - impulse; impetus; urge
- こめかみ - temple (side of head) (kanji for this are 顳顬, which I just think are cool-looking)
- のしかかる - to weigh on one; to bear (heavily) on one; to lie on one
Oh absolutely! I really liked how popular he seemed to be among the villagers and how he tried to help everybody. That’s a welcome change from Fruits Basket with its constant fighting and shouting and cursing and demolishing the house
Oct 16th (take two): Just had to continue a bit more before falling asleep - finished Demon Slayer chapter 1 and started chapter 2.
Oct 17th: The chapters are much shorter now, so I finished chapter 2 and read chapter 3.
The page has been updated, it is now free until the 31st! (by the looks of it they’ve added two more volumes to the freeness, so now the first 5 are free). Read 6 pages today.
Today is Driver’s day… ドライバーの日! Which is a day to thank all the public service drivers like taxis, buses and truckers. There’s a comic with this one too!
It’s also フラフープの日 - hula hoop day - though it’s probably best not to do both at the same time.
~ New Words! ~
職業紹介 (しょくぎょうしょうかい) - Employment Agency
風靡 (ふうび) - Overwhelming. Don’t think I’ve seen that last kanji before either.
木造住宅 (もくぞうじゅうたく) - Wooden house / wood-framed house
Been a while since I made a summary post. I have been reading some more tanuki lately. It is a funny, comfy and a light read. Just what I wanted. There’s no stress, only tanuki.
Likely I’ll finish reading through volume 1 this week and then continue with volume 2.
- 余裕 = よゆう surplus, margin, leeway.
- 改築 = かいちく structural alteration of a building, remodelation.
- 食材 = しょくざい cooking ingredients, foodstuff.
- 延べ棒 = のべぼう metal bar.
- 燃料 = ねんりょう fuel.
- 去る = さる to leave, to go away.
- 革 = かわ leather.
- 掘る = ほる to dig, to excavate.
I’ve been noticing that I’m getting much better at reading katakana. I’m grateful that video games are full of it and I have to read katakana words constantly; my recognition and speed have improved a lot.
日本語: I read a lot of 伯爵と妖精 20.
中国語: I read 礼物.
・Honzuki 6. (60% → 61%)
Today I read 9 pages of よつば＆!, and 4 pages of 月刊少女野崎くん from the sample on bookwalker. I also checked out the sales and read a few pages here and there from the free mangas, just to make sure I was getting ones I might actually read.
I guess it’s pretty obvious that I make a lot of resolutions I don’t keep. But I don’t always make good resolutions, so I can’t keep them all!
Day 48: October 18
What did I read?: コウペンちゃん
How much did I read?: 30 pages
How long did it take me?: 34 min
Oh my god, you guys
Honestly, I was so not feeling it today, so I was just looking for something easy to read, but it turned out to be the best decision ever xD This book is…kind of picture book-ish in style, I guess. The first few pages are basically an adorable baby penguin saying “you’re doing amazing, sweetie” for completing basic life tasks, which is something I needed in my life right now xD And then it introduces some other characters - from the descriptions, I love them all already. But none more than
And then please enjoy these シマエナガ, they will make your day happy
what is thiiiiiissssss
is this real life
- どこにでもいる - commonplace (of people or animals); ordinary; typical; ubiquitous; run-of-the-mill; found around every corner
- 目つき (めつき) - look (in someone’s eyes); expression (of the eyes); eyes
- 気性 (きしょう) - disposition; temperament; temper; nature
- せっかち - hasty; impatient; restless; rash
- 物知り (ものしり) - well-informed person; walking dictionary; extensive knowledge
- 独自 (どくじ) - independent; one’s own; personal; original; unique; distinctive; characteristic; peculiar
- 世界観 (せかいかん) - world view; outlook on the world; Weltanschauung (philosophy)
- かっこうつける - to affect a stylish air; to try to look good; to show off
- くだらぬ - stupid; nonsensical; absurd; foolish; silly; trivial; trifling; insignificant; not worth bothering with; worthless; useless; good-for-nothing
- 支配者 (しはいしゃ) - governor; leader; ruler