📚📚 Read every day challenge - Fall/Autumn 2021 🍁🍂🦝

Home post

Day 32:

日本語: I read a lot of はめふら 11.

中国語

中国語: I read 我的妈妈, 太晚了, and 我的生日. I added 严重 and 身边.

And another successful week completed!

S E P T
:books:
:arrow_double_down:
O C T
:books:
:fire:
14 Likes

I still feel sick and tired but this time my post will be super educational you will even learn what a キス is :rofl:

First thing first, I read the last 60 pages of the second volume of まがつき. This mange is super funny and it uses a wider variety of grammar points than the manga I read before.

御利益 ごりやく divine favour; blessing; miracle
きす sillago
サボる to play hooky; to skip school; to cut class N1
手汗 てあせ sweaty hands
登校 とうこう going to school N1
接着剤的 せっちゃくざいてき like glue
くっ付く くっつく to stick to; to cling to
ライバル rival
登場 とうじょうentry (on stage); appearance (on screen) N2
権力 けんりょく (political) power; authority; influence N1
グラタン gratin

16 Likes

:fallen_leaf: :raccoon: :waning_crescent_moon: ::: TANUKIDATE 20211003 ::: :waning_crescent_moon: :raccoon: :fallen_leaf:

Day XXXIII: 馬尾の滝 (須賀川市) :potable_water: (a water droplet tap is the closet emoji I could find)

Generally feeling like today is one of those days that brain can’t remember how to read English let alone Japanese. So only reading a bit of a random wiki article today, about a waterfalllll

Place! - 須賀川市 (すかがわし) - Sukagawa City

Word! - 支流 (しりゅう) - Tributary / Branch

13 Likes

Skipped yesterday :frowning: but today I sat outside in the dappled autumn sunlight and read for an hour! I read five pages and came across some fun words/phrases.

平らげる たいらげる to eat up (completely). Feels like… flattening your plate!
しぶとい tenacious, dogged, headstrong
上の空 うわのそら absent-mindedness
食感 - しょっかん mouthfeel
くわんくわん having food stuck around the mouth or all over the face
戸惑い とまどい losing one’s bearings; confusion; wonderment. archaic: forgetting which house or room to enter

15 Likes

Summary Post

October 3rd
Final Fantasy XIV

Random words
  • 占拠 = せんきょ occupation (of a territory).
  • 上達 = じょうたつ improvement (of a skill or ability), progress.

Smol steps today.

12 Likes

Summary post

Day 33: October 3
What did I read?: 雨と君と Vol. 2 :raccoon::maple_leaf:
How much did I read?: 33 pages - finished the volume
How long did it take me?: 45 min

I did a lot of life things today, so I was kind of tired :sleeping: Seemed like a perfect day to finish off the last volume (for now) of the tanuki.
What a freaking cute chapter :sob: As if the tanuki cuteness wasn’t enough, now there’s a cat

Tanuki and cat being cute together

Good words:

• 安定期 (あんていき) - stable period (with ref. to pregnancy, typically from 4th month when the placenta is fully formed, morning sickness usually goes away and risk of miscarriage decreases)
  • くり抜く (くりぬく) - to gouge out; to excavate; to hollow; to bore; to drill; to carve (e.g. pumpkin)
  • 漁り (あさり) - searching; rummaging
  • 気が紛れる (きがまぎれる) - to be distracted from feelings of depression, boredom, tension, etc.
14 Likes

Summary post

Day 33: Today I read 4 pages of よつば&! and two pages of ツバサ Reservoir Chronicle.

14 Likes

On Friday I had the day off, but I didn’t really make time for reading at all. In the end I ended up reading a couple pages of 赤毛のアン before going to sleep just to have read something. :sleeping: I think I also read about half of the first volume of 女装してめんどくさい事になってる……, a manga with a too long title at some point during the day, but I don’t log manga. Which is why it felt like I hadn’t read anything, I guess, even though I had.

On Saturday I read this week’s part of 授乳, and the 小川未明童話集 both. I also finished the 1st and 2nd volumes of 女装してめんどくさい事になってる etc.

Yesterday I started this week’s part of 乳と卵, and probably read a bit more than half of it…? Also ぼくらのへんたい volume 2 and the prologue of 大海原と大海原 vol 1. I think this is the current? Or past? beginner book club read. It feels like it’s going to be a slow read for me though. It just has that kind of atmosphere, at least in the beginning, that makes me want to take my time. :slight_smile:

Really? I wouldn’t have expected that! :open_mouth:

15 Likes

Home post October 4th Graded reader 舌切したきすずめ

Something resembling a blurb I guess...

おじいさんは、毎日まいにちすずめあそびます。あるすずめはおばあさんのつくった「洗濯せんたくのり」をべてしまいました。おこったおばあさんは・・・・・・。

A fun little story with a cute ending

TL;DR (spoilers?)

don’t mess with birds.

These last few graded readers I’ve been finding I can kind of almost skim parts of them, which I think is a new thing for me, say when reading a familiar / common word like ありがとうございます I don’t have to read every character and kind of see the start and my eyes just zoom over checking the rough shape rather than checking every character.
Likewise these basic readers have lots of “foo said […], bar said […], foo went to […]” and I can skim over most of that outside the brackets.

Yay progress.

16 Likes

めっちゃかわいそうですよ!

5 Likes

Main Post

Thought I would add what I read over the weekend in an update post. I read a poem called お月夜 plus two stories パンのかけらと小さなあくま and カンガルーの赤ちゃん. The poem was a light read, so that was kinda nice. The pictures were also kinda cute. Feels like I read the little devil story before. As it is a world tale, I tried finding the original, but that one ends very differently. So I’m not sure if it got changed over the years, or if they adapted it to fit in this bundle. The last story is about kangaroo babies, which is labeled as a science story. I liked how easy it was to parse and made me interested in a few things. Had to confirm that babies indeed climb their way into the mother’s pouch while they’re the size of a bean. Surviving isn’t easy and the kangaroo biology is pretty interesting to read about. This was probably my favorite piece of the book so far.

Reading every day is indeed a challenge, but it has worked out so far even with a book. I noted that I read a few stories further than my previous attempt (which took weeks to get that). So yeah the progress is notable, even if it is gradually slow. :snail:

17 Likes

:fallen_leaf: :raccoon: :waning_crescent_moon: ::: TANUKIDATE 20211004 ::: :waning_crescent_moon: :raccoon: :fallen_leaf:

Day XXXIV: だまっとれ! :eye:

Today’s 百物語 story about Hitotsume-kozou [一つ目小僧] (Yokai that takes on the appearance of a one-eyed bald child), also found another off-shoot of the site that is a bit like a “on this day…” sort of thing, and today is sardine day, イワシの日!

Founded in 1985 by the… er

おおさかせいぎょゆうこうようけんとうかい
(Osaka Prefecture Investigative Commission of (the) Effective Utilisation of Large Scale Fish Catching)

~ New Words ~
うずら (鶉) - Quail
両 (りょう) - Old unit of currency
ふすま (襖) - Sliding screen

15 Likes

Home post

Day 33:

日本語: I read the very tiniest little bit of はめふら 11 just to have read something.

中国語

中国語: I read 接朋友, 新朋友, and 周末做什么. I added 面试, 好运, and 语言.

15 Likes

:jack_o_lantern: My tiny summary post :ghost:

October 4 Aaah, I have no time to read, but I’m too stubborn to put it off
・Honzuki 6. (34% → 35%)

If I may recommend this series この音とまれ! vol. 1-3 are available for free on bookwalker until Oct 18. I read binged up until vol 17 during the summer challenge, enjoyed it a lot :3

16 Likes

Reading Update: 10月1日〜4日

Materials:

:red_square: 授乳
:orange_square: 月刊少女野崎くん3

I…forgot to read yesterday. :sob: I woke up this morning and stared at my volume of 野崎くん, trying to remember what I (didn’t) read the night before. It sucks that I couldn’t go through the challenge flawlessly, but I’m not going to let this dampen the rest of it. After all, I’m still reading way more regularly than I ever have in Japanese, and I don’t want to give that up just because I’m feeling a little sorry for myself.

授乳: Finished reading the section for Week 2. Things are definitely starting to get interesting: the dynamic amongst each family member (father, mother, and daughter) is peeking out from the surface. The narrator has a deadpan, unbothered humor to her. A couple of lines that got laughs out of me: (regarding the value of the tutor her mother hired)「まあ私のお金じゃないし」and (after going through some thoughts she has about her mother) 「私は父の下着をたたみ続ける母の横顔を見ながら、わけもなく、母が同い年のクラスメイトだったらきっといじめてるなと思った」. I’m going to push myself to get through more of this book this week.

月刊少女野崎くん3: I’m going to be honest…I haven’t gotten all that much farther into the volume compared to my last update. :pensive: I wasn’t feeling well this past weekend, and by the time I (mostly) remembered to read something, I’d only make it through a panel or two before putting it down and going to sleep. I guess it’s unrealistic to think that moments like these won’t happen in life.

Vocabulary (mostly in hiragana, as it turns out)

わけもなく: without cause; without reason
がらんどう: empty, hollow, bare, vacant, deserted
のっぺらぼう: smooth, flat, lacking bumps and dents (there’s also a 妖怪 named this if you want to read about it in this wiki)
逆上 (ぎゃくじょう): going into a frenzy, flying into a rage

Here’s to a great week of reading, everyone! :muscle:

:house_with_garden: (click for home post)

16 Likes

Summary Post

October 4th
Satori Reader: Secret, episode 52.

Random words
  • 手がつけられない = てがつけられない unmanageable, out of control.
  • 酒乱 = しゅらん drunken frenzy, drunken violence, also someone that gets violent when drunk.
  • 蹴る = ける to kick.
  • 酔っ払う = よっぱらう to get drunk, but more pronounced than 酔う, and mostly in a bad sense.
  • あろうことか = as defined in Satori Reader: “This expression indicates incredulity that something occurred combined with a sense that is completely out of the bounds of acceptability.”.
  • 道端 = みちばた roadside, wayside.

Very low spirits day. I wasn’t feeling the spark to read at all today, I kept procrastinating for hours. But I wasn’t really going to let this one slide, so in the end I forced myself to read one episode. Well, turns out, as is usually the case, that the moment I start doing it, I start feeling better and engaged, and after just a few minutes I’m enjoying it. But the period before I actually sit and do it… I swear that gets the best of me, not just in reading, but in pretty much everything. It’s not that bad once you start, but wow is it hard to actually start. Anyway day saved.

17 Likes

<3

:partying_face:

This. So much this.
Sometimes I will get in such a funk that it feels like I don’t want to do anything, my partner will sometimes intervene and suggest I try doing something for just a little bit (10-20 minutes), and then if I still dislike it I can stop. Such a great strategy, I now find I use it on myself a bunch (I think there’s a name for this technique, probably the N minute rule or something).

13 Likes

Summary post

Day 34: October 4
What did I read?: ハイ☆スピード!
How much did I read?: 4 pages
How long did it take me?: 42 min

I love this. I love it so much :joy:
The word of today is: リーダ - leader

Here's why

First, we finally get Haru’s commitment to being on the relay team, in the most casual freaking way
I love how he literally just doesn’t answer when Rin asks him about it in the shower room, but then two seconds later, he’s casually like “Yep” when Nagisa’s like “I get to be on the same team as Haru!”
Rin is literally more excited about it than Nagisa is, it’s so cute xD He even does a ガッツポーズ (my second favorite word of today because it’s so cute).
So now, the team is officially formed, and Rin decides they’re all gonna use first names now like besties, which is adorable. But then-
PFFFF Rin you cannot :joy: “Y’all can call me Leader from now on” You CANNOT
Why are you like this :joy:
But then it gets better
Nagisa: Riida’s not a name
Rin: sigh this kid explains the qualities of a leader in a surprisingly mature and thoughtful way
Nagisa: …Nope, weird. You get RinRin instead :rofl: :rofl:
Rin: :o
Makoto and Haru: dying in the background
They don’t get to escape the nickname-ification either, but they just get Mako-chan and Haru-chan, which seems…more normal, if a bit embarrassing :joy:
I love these children so much

Some more good words

掻き毟る (かきむしる) - to tear off; to pluck; to scratch off​
脈絡 (みゃくらく) - logical connection; chain of reasoning; coherence; context
何気ない (なにげない) - casual; unconcerned; nonchalant
さらり - without hesitation or delay
危うく (あやうく) - almost; nearly (can also mean barely; narrowly: I kind of love that this uses the same kanji as 危ない, it makes sense in a way that tickles my brain)
聞き逃す (ききのがす) - to fail to hear something; to miss​ (can also mean to act as if one didn’t hear something; to let a remark slide)
ガッツポーズ - triumphant pose assumed by an athlete; “fist pump”
いいか - listen!​; you see; mind you; remember​ (Rin says this and it kills me in context because for some reason it reads to me like “listen here, you little-”)
面倒を見る (めんどうをみる) - to care for someone; to look after someone
まとめ役 (まとめやく) - mediator; peacemaker; troubleshooter; manager
例えようもない (たとえようもない) - beyond comparison; incomparable

Hard relate. Starting is the hardest part like 99% of the time. Good job pushing through the wall!

16 Likes

Summary post

Day 34: Read 2 pages of よつば&!

13 Likes

Home post October 5th read graded reader ジョンさんの夏休なつやす.

16 Likes