📚📚 Read every day challenge - Fall/Autumn 2021 🍁🍂🦝

:fallen_leaf: :raccoon: .☆:TANUKIDATE: 20210917:☆. :raccoon: :fallen_leaf:

Day XVII: ボラシシ (小惑星) :space_invader:

~☆~ Special Late Night Edition ~☆~

I’ve not had very much time at all today, so it’s late bedtime reading!
There’s still 21 minutes left of the day… it’s still good.

Two little asteroid friends drifting eternally together in the Kuiper belt.

Not that I’ll think I’ll ever has need of the word, but it’s a cool word:

近日点通過 = perihelion passage

Now away to bed! :zzz:

14 Likes

:house_with_garden: home post

:heavy_check_mark: Day 9 (9月 17日) :sparkles:

What did I read:
新完全マスター読解, 4 texts, ~25-30min
暁のヨナ , ch.35, rest from yesterday, 15pages

falling behing with my 歴史366

What I learnt

徐々 じょじょ slowly, gradually,
気負いがない きおいがない no pressure, to take it easy, to feel carefree
動議 どうぎ motivation
探求心 たんきゅうしん spirit of inquiry, curiosity

15 Likes

Summary Post

Day 17: September 17th
Satori Reader: Secret, episode 43.

Random words
  • 自衛隊 = じえいたい self-defence force
  • 筋トレ = きんトレ muscle training (short for 筋肉トレーニング)
  • 並行 = へいこう parallel, occurring concurrently.
  • 別人 = べつじん different person, changed person.

I’m not too sure if I will be able to read tomorrow, as I’m spending the day out, but we’ll see. Like when I went on vacation last challenge, I might be able to sneak in an episode in between :stuck_out_tongue: .

15 Likes

Summary post

Day 17: September 17
What did I read?: ハイ☆スピード!
How much did I read?: 5 pages
How long did it take me?: 53 min

I was thinking I wasn’t going to read very much today but I somehow…did? Good job, me.
I mean, not like 5 pages is so much but, you know xD

Nagisa’s such a little puppy, he’s very cute :joy: First he’s tagging along with Haru on his run (or attempting to, at least, Haru low-key leaves him in the dust :rofl:), and then he’s begging Rin to be the fourth person in the relay with them (to which Rin says mmmmダメ :rofl:) Not that the relay has even been decided yet, Haru is still Not Interested even after Rin makes Aki try to talk to him and nudge him in that direction. Also, we learn that Haru wrote “Free” on his brick, because of course he did xD

I just want to say that I love how Rin gets distracted by Haru’s flawless swimming, it’s very cute <3 Like, he’s having this conversation with Nagisa, but his mind is obviously on Haru. And how he swims like a seabird soaring gracefully through the air :dove: (excuse me but why is there no seagull emoji)

Some good words:

• きりがない - endless; never-ending; going on forever
  • 腰を掛ける (こしをかける) - to sit down; to take a seat
  • 必要最低限 (ひつようさいていげん) - bare minimum; minimum necessary (amount, number, etc.) (as in, Haru’s approach to conversation)
  • 自棄糞 (やけくそ) - desperate (this one was written in kana, but I like how the kanji start to look more and more desperate as the word goes on)
  • 社交辞令 (しゃこうじれい) - something said for politeness’ sake; diplomatic language; honeyed words; lip service; empty compliment (Haru would never :stuck_out_tongue:)
  • 用がある (ようがある) - to have something one wants to say (to someone)
  • 察する (さっする) - to guess; to sense; to presume; to judge (can also mean to sympathize with)
  • 言いかける - to start to say; to attempt to say; to be about to say; to break off (mid-sentence)
15 Likes

Summary post

Day 17: I finished another two pages of よつば&!It was a much more dialogue heavy couple of pages, which was fun. More formal, too! Also lots of talk related to recycling and burnable vs nonburnable trash.

14 Likes

Home post - September 18th I read 3.5 pages of 大海原と大海原. Lots of fun grammar today!

I also re-went over my notes from Chapter 2 to populate the vocab sheet for the book club.

14 Likes

:ballot_box_with_check: Day 18

Read section 2, Chapter 6 in 手紙!
It’s a good thing I prioritized reading on the train earlier today, because the time I thought I had in the evening completely disappeared.
The story took an unexpected twist! And I guess Naoki is a great singer? Can’t wait to pick it up again tomorrow and see what’s next.

:raccoon: :raccoon: Main Post :raccoon: :raccoon:

15 Likes

Sept 14: Read about a page of 糞尿譚 (until 57/158)

Sept 15: Chatted with my Japanese friend and asked him questions about 糞尿譚 and also about week 3 of Ogawa Mimei Children’s Stories, so during the chat I read a bit back and forth in those two. Other than that, no serious reading.

Sept 16: My N2 prep class asked me to do a N2 mock test in order to allow the teachers to prepare for the classes, and so I did the written part of it today. What can I say - it was not bad. It was disastrous :sob: I think that was the wake-up call I needed, and so from now on I will focus more on vocab and grammar and reading studies and less on the actual reading itself… Will try to read a little bit every day, though…

Sept 17: Read week 4 of the Ogawa Mimei Children’s Stories.

Sept 18: Read a tiny part of the new Advanced Book Club pick, 乳と卵. Will try to stay at least on top of that one despite my N2 studies.

15 Likes

Home post

Day 17:

日本語: I read a fair amount of パノラマ島綺譚, some of 鋼の錬金術師, and a bit of 魔王城でおやすみ.

中国語

中国語: I read 新老板.

15 Likes

Summary post
September 18 A read which today was not so tiny. Might as well if I’m not going to study, right?

・Read Honzuki 6. (13% → 18%)
・Started (ちち)(らん) with the book club. (0% → 5%) This book has long sentences.

16 Likes

Hoo boy, am I worried about that when my classes start next week.

I think I’m going to be in for a rude awakening that I really need to start properly SRSing every day again to beef up vocab recall…

6 Likes

:fallen_leaf: :raccoon: .☆:TANUKIDATE: 20210918:☆. :raccoon: :fallen_leaf:

Day XVIII: 装飾音 :musical_score:

It’d be interesting to learn other musical notation words in Japanese, perhaps I should look them up some time :thinking:

Though all the sheet music I’ve used that is Japanese has always used English (well, Italian & English) music words, so I don’t know how useful it’d be. Still, it’d be cool to find out!

13 Likes

There was not much time to read, so just some more sentences in the パラサイト・イヴ book. It is still pretty easy right now but I am sure it will be much harder later on, once they start to use all the biological vocabulary. Either way I need to pick up the pace or I won’t be done until Christmas Eve.

14 Likes

9月18日:
Day 11

What did I read:

• 大海原と大海原, Pages 43-47

While the pages are 43-47, I technically read just 2, other ones were covers for chapter 3. Today’s pages went smooth, understood them without any issues. Chapter starts with Sakemichi repeating once more that Wadanohara, as well as her familiar, have to leave the village, because they have no place here. Wadanohara, in return, asks where Sakemichi was all this time and says that she was worried for him.

• 鹿の王, 1 page in a landscape mode.

I’m… not sure how to count pages here, because there are no numbers. I read 1 page in a landscape mode. It actually went better than I thought it would, and I’m surprised at the amount of furigana. Apparently, this novel is written mainly for teenagers? <光る葉>の卵 chapter starts with a young guy rushing in a room, telling to his grandfather (or that’s what he calls him, that is) that “Glowing leafs” are seeming to die. They proceed to the room together, where the guy says with trembling lips that he took good care of algae, and changed water by grandather’s instruction. He then proceeds to reassure the guy that algae’s death isn’t his fault and points out that he should look closely at them. Young guy notices that there are eggs on algae.

13 Likes

:house_with_garden: home post

:heavy_check_mark: Day 10 (9月 18日) :sparkles:

What did I read:
暁のヨナ , ch.35+おまけ, for the bookclub read-aloud. Before the session I did go through the chapter once again, and looked up some words as well… And with chapter35, we have now completed 6 volumes of Yona with the bookclub! Yay~ More 30 to go!!
online article about 簡体字 , 繁体字 and 漢字。
still falling behing with my 歴史366

What I learnt

用いる もちいる to make use of; to utilize
楷書 かいしょprinted style (of writing Chinese characters)
行書 ぎょうしょ semi-cursive style (of writing Chinese characters)

16 Likes

Main post

Sept 16 - I (tried to) read 3 pages of 最後の一葉 from O. Henry (translated in Japanese) in my 10分で読めるお話 book. I didn’t understand much of it so I have to go back to it later. :laughing:

Sept 17 - I was outside all day long so I thought I would give up reading on this day, but then I saw @ Redglare’s reply on this thread and it motivated me to read a little bit!! I read 7 pages of the manga at the beginning of the Barakamon fanbook.

Sept 18 - I read two articles related to what’s been happening to me : one article about a Japanese cultural event that took place in Paris (it was really nice!!) and the other about the current France-Australia issue. I also read the first 3 pages of 海が消える from 佐藤さとる.

(too much) vocab

披露 (ひろう) : presentation
催し (もよおし) : event
拠点 (きょてん) : position
徐々 (じょじょ) : gradual
_
(ちゅう) + kanji of the country : resident in + country name (駐米 = resident in the United States)
(ごう) : Australia
召還 (しょうかん) : recall (esp. of an envoy or an ambassador)
潜水艦 (せんすいかん) : submarine
経緯 (いきさつ) : details, circumstances
政権 (せいけん) : (political) administration
抑止 (よくし) : control
同盟 (どうめい) : alliance
配備 (はいび) : deployment
加盟 (かめい) : joining (an association, agreement, etc.)
_
寝そべる(ねそべる)to sprawl
縁側(えんがわ)engawa; external corridor on the outer side of traditional Japanese houses
霞む(かすむ)to become misty
夕立(ゆうだち) (sudden) evening shower (rain)
垣根(かきね)fence、border
微か(かすか)faint
崖っぷち(がけぷっち)cliff edge

16 Likes

Summary post

Day 18: I read another two pages of よつば&!Still really enjoying it :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

18 Likes

Summary post

Day 18: September 18
What did I read?: 夜は猫といっしょ Vol 1
How much did I read?: 15 pages
How long did it take me?: 23 min

I had a day today. (If you want, you can read about it in the complaining thread lol) But I did read something xD I started a new manga about a cat, which is extremely cute so far :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Look at this sweet kitty :3

The most relatable moment: the main character has only known the cat for 3 days and already has a camera roll full of cat pictures xD

Good words:
だっこ - hug; carrying in one’s arms (a baby, pet, doll, etc.)
もこもこ - fluffy​
我関せず (われかんせず) - no concern of mine; nothing to do with me​
気に召す (きにめす) - to like; to prefer; to be pleased by​
じゃらす - to play with; to toy with; to tease

18 Likes

I finally finished week 4 of 人間失格, that only took like an actual week (from when I finished the part for week 3). I did start in on week 5 as well though! I also read a bit more of リゼロ. There’s quite a bit of action, but the parts are also so long. … Maybe that’s also why 人間失格 is taking me so long?

And! This is not a book, but that’s why it’s especially exciting for me: I finished case 1 of 逆転検事2. It has been so long since I regularly played a game, so even this semi regular thing is making me super happy. :slight_smile:

I read a few pages of 授乳,

Finished the part for week 6 of 授乳.

Work has been really busy this month, and will continue to be so, so finding time for a nice reading sessions has been difficult. Hope I can balance everything a bit better from now on.

16 Likes

Home post

September 19th - finished chapter 4 of 大海原と大海原 reading 4 non-trivial pages (+ a few trivial).

This means I’m ~ 3.5 weeks ahead of the book club schedule, I’m still trying to decide if I should read something else and let the book club catch up, or just keep going as this is the most progress I’ve ever made in a manga on my own.

I am going in for surgery on my left arm on the 27th but I’m hoping to maybe keep up my reading during my recovery, but no promises.

16 Likes