📚📚 Read every day challenge - Fall 2022 🍁🍂

Replies

I knew some of this, but having it tied together neatly with your own personal experience with it was interesting to read! I hadn’t really considered that elopement was straight up “off the 戸籍 with you!”

I feel a lot better knowing that even if I hadn’t de-drmed it it still would have these issues. I was very frustrated for a bit last night thinking I’d have to revert to the proprietary app!

It’s a very odd choice indeed. I wonder if I’ll ever meet a Japanese book publisher and can ask them… There was that publishing blog I came across, maybe they have an email :thinking:

Like @MissDagger I have purchased from them recently, and in my case only a few days ago.
I’m glad you have your epubs though! I agree, having to use the proprietary apps for the other stores is so limiting, and always leaves open the chance of losing your books one day.

9 Likes

:house:
Nov 5

I was going to skip reading today, because I’ve had a super busy weekend and am drained of energy. But I found myself randomly picking up my physical copy of 魔女の宅急便(2)on my bookshelf, and to my surprise, I was able to read the first four pages easily and without using a dictionary at all! (There were only about five words/phrases I didn’t know, but as I spent my childhood ignoring unknown words in the novels I read and eventually learnt them from context, it doesn’t bother me.)

If I have enough time and energy tomorrow I’ll get back to 人間椅子。

23 Likes

I’ve been exhausted for the last week. I ended up not reading yesterday - did stare blankly at Spy Family and 夜カフェ. Today I had the day off apart from a couple of hours from home this morning, so I basically lay around reading.

5/11 14 pages God Bless the Mistaken (week’s reading), 25 pages シャドーハウス (both chapters for this week), 15 pages Orange, 1 page Spy Family.

I need to check as I may have read a bit more of Orange. I’m doing well on some clubs but behind on others, such as Spy Family, which I’m running… lots of dialogue in the last week’s reading which is holding me up.

I may choose to read ahead on シャドーハウス, as this week should give me more reading time but the following 2 weeks are busy. But I should catch up on the rest first.

21 Likes

Nov 5, Sat of Week 6 of Fall 2022 :maple_leaf:

• かがみの孤城 (上) 44% => 45% (Start of Ch.4 August)

Yesterday, I almost finished Ch.3 July, so a little bit; then start of the new chapter (month).

Well, a little more of parents’ help; and hiding things from parents.

• Read aloud 人間椅子 0-45%

Although I think I understood the gist from the previous reading, I think I don’t understand enough comparing with the book club. Partly because of forgeting early things when focusing on single sentences, and vocabularies, too much? An excuse, whatever.

Used Bookwalker hover to Google Translate to help with pronunciation a little, although I mostly remembered the readings.

That half a book took like 35 minutes. (Truncated silence with Audacity.)

20 Likes

:tiger2: :books: The Tanuki Autumn Onsen :hotsprings: :raccoon:

20221105 - 吾輩は狸である progress: 68.71% :sparkles:

Thinking of mirrors Wagahai-cat goes on a tangent about human vanity.

:fallen_leaf: Japanese found under the leaves :fallen_leaf:

Meowords

己惚れ「うぬぼれ」ー Pretension; conceit (also: 自惚れ)
萎縮「いしゅく」ー Atrophy; withering; shrivelling

22 Likes

November 5th!

I spent the morning marking all of the books I own on Bookwalker as owned on Natively, so that next time I need to pick something new to read I can see what I already own and sort them by level. It took ages, and I probably annoyed some people by spamming the update feed on Natively :grimacing: But I had a lot of fun looking through everything I own, and ended up doing a lot of unexpected reading as I got distracted by various story summaries on Bookwalker.

In more structured reading though, I read the next chapter of Teasing Master Takagi-san, and also finished Volume 2 of Yoru Cafe.
Feels good to have finished a second novel :slight_smile:
I’m not planning to continue with Volume 3, because the chapters take me long enough to read that its been a big commitment for me to keep up with the club - but I’m hoping to find another novel with shorter chapters to read soon.

(Home Post)

27 Likes

Home post :bookmark: Nov 5 :maple_leaf::fallen_leaf:

・本好きの下剋上 12 (27% → 29%)

ahhh, rip my schleep schedule

23 Likes

Main Post

On November the 5th I:

• Took some more notes on わんわん探偵団。
23 Likes

Home post

Day 35:

Priority: :houses: 青桐. Still feeling feelings about our protagonist recognizing her faults while liking herself including them.

Free choice: :mag: 硝子の塔の殺人. From yesterday’s reading, I would’ve said something sad about the latest victim here, but I’ve already read some more today… and… eek.

Extra: :shallow_pan_of_food: ダンジョン飯 4, and finished it. :hibiscus: ファリン!!! It was good, @rodan. :grin: I also read a bit each of :notes: のだめカンタービレ 6 and :black_joker: 遊☆戯☆王 1.

Snatches of: :magic_wand: ハリー・ポッターと不死鳥の騎士団. This book is very long. I am very tired of ロン.

Last night our power was out so I did a lot of reading by candlelight. :candle: With another manga volume done, I guess my next focus will be… actually, with only two left I can read whichever, lol. Stretch goal for next week: to finish one out of :notes: のだめカンタービレ 6 and :black_joker: 遊☆戯☆王 1.

25 Likes

I’m super tired out so snuck in a tiny read from seeing it suggested on the Natively forums. 赤い手袋 | L20 is only about 5 pages long and is good for maybe ~N4 level learners, but honestly I enjoyed reading it. It’s thoughtful piece and not a generic children’s story. The read aloud on youtube is also very nicely done although the accompanying video gave me the heeby jeebies.

24 Likes

Home

Yesterday I just read 不機嫌なモノノケ庵 一ノ怪 (though I also finished one of the ENG books I was reading).

Today I read 11 pages of おばちゃんたちのいるところ.

23 Likes

November 5 :maple_leaf: Home Post

Read some more ブルーロック today! Lots of fun new characters being introduced at the moment; one of them was described as a 脳筋バカ and I was like “yeah that sounds like a lot of characters I like” :joy: so good times!

26 Likes

:house: Home Post

03 November 2022

• Podcast Listening

04 November 2022

• NHK Easy Articles

05 November 2022

• Witch Hat Atelier (Vol. 1)

Was visiting back home for the last few days, so not much reading. Managed to finish out my copy of Atelier that I’ve had sitting on my shelf for awhile.

22 Likes

November 6th
:maple_leaf:Home post:maple_leaf:

Aria: the masterpiece volume 1 – progress report
Yesterday: read up to page 66
Today: finished Chapter 2. Continued up to page 90

Finished Chapter 2 and read almost 30 pages again today. Ultimately, they were cut short by me being too tired to read much more after that アクア・アルタ (Acqua Alta) phenomenon explanation which took me a good 5-10 minutes alone. :melting_face:

On another note: Akari taking along the president in his own mini-gondola when she set out to buy his treats/food that fell victim to the Acqua Alta was a really cute sight! :smiling_face_with_tear:

Some words of note

セリフ speech, words, remarks
いやはや (Oh) dear!, Good gracious
驚く (おどろく) to be surprised
現象 (げんしょう) phenomenon
買いだめ (かいだめ) stocking up on, hoarding
開店休業 (かいてんきゅうぎょう) open, but transacting no business at all​
梅雨 (つゆ) rainy season

24 Likes

:maple_leaf: :turkey: November 6th :turkey: :maple_leaf: (Home Post Link)

Busy busy busy. Freeze is coming soon, so had to go do a bunch of garden work today. No more fresh ネギ for my soups :cry:

Read:

• 赤い手袋 – oh wow, the imagery in this was way better than I was expecting from something that would be at a readable level for me. I really really liked this, thank you for sharing @pocketcat ! I was not familiar with 小川 未明, but I’ll definitely be checking out some other writings. I’d say maybe softer end of N3 for the level, but nice practice for some literary form stuff with the rest of the grammar being on the easier side (or maybe i’m just inexperienced in reading anything that’s not 日常系 manga :sweat_smile: )
  • Tae Kim 183 → 192 – causative and passive forms
  • からかい上手の高木さん → chapter 12, 13
Good Words

互い「たがい」ー each other, one another (noun)
疑い「うたがい」ー doubt, suspicion
照れる「てれる」ー to be embarrassed
ごまかす ー to evade (a question), to dodge

25 Likes

:books: :video_game: :maple_leaf: :fallen_leaf: November 5

I got through one ルーパーズ chapter and then read わたしの幸せな結婚 (8% → 13%) before bed so I stopped reading when words stopped making sense.

25 Likes

:house:
Nov 6

かがみの孤城 59% → 60% (page 214)

Back to かがみの孤城. I guess I can read this as an easier book when I don’t have the time or energy to read 人間椅子. Or fall on 魔女の宅急便 if I’m exhausted.

25 Likes

Another reasonable reading day.

6/11 11 pages Spy Family (to end mission 14), 14 pages 夜カフェ (to end chapter 11), 4 pages シャドーハウス

Basically caught up with last week’s reading of Spy Family and 夜カフェ. Bribed myself that if I do that I can read a little more of シャドーハウス! Now I just need to start the IBC read and read last week’s reading plus this one, and I’m kind of up to date!

I’ll probably try to finish 夜カフェ volume 2 in the next couple of days.

25 Likes

:tiger2: :books: The Tanuki Autumn Onsen :hotsprings: :raccoon:

20221106 - 吾輩は狸である progress: 69.20% :email:

@pm215, I have reached the paragraphs of the fabled moustache

(also that letter he gets is incredibly hard to read)

:fallen_leaf: Japanese found under the leaves :fallen_leaf:

Meowords

拝啓「はいけい」ー Dear… (like at the start of a letter)
只管「ひたすら」ー With all one’s heart; earnestly; devotedly

22 Likes

Oh yes, I can see that. I suppose when I said “~N4” last night I was thinking “if someone has all the N4 grammar down” but it’s a bit ambiguous. There may well be some N3 grammar in there as well, I’m not totally sure :sweat_smile: But I’m glad you liked it! It’s always a joy to discover gems like that, much of the earlier level Japanese reading material can be a bit tedious.

14 Likes