📚📚 Read every day challenge - Fall 2022 🍁🍂

Main Post

I finished reading through Colorful on wednesday night. I always read the 解説 at the end which I did yesterday. I don’t think it adds much to the experience and would much rather have a comment from the author, but either way it is good extra practice.

Colorful

So I liked reading it and I can see what makes it good. I just think the metaphysical premise lended itself better for a supernatural mystery than what turned out to be a coming of age story. Also middle school seems like a popular choice for teen drama and bullying. It doesn’t shy away from delving into some darker themes, but I don’t necessarily like the way it frames about going through with it. That said all the characters are a bit of a mess and things turning out more positive despite all is at least some nice development. There is self acceptance and a clean ending. Maybe too clean/convenient for my taste.

I docked a star because the author namedropped the title in the book (twice). Someone told me that this also happens in other one of her books, so she probably likes this sort of thing lol.

Anyway November is over, I managed to read what I wanted to read. For December I’ll be sticking around a bit longer in this thread. I’m very close to reaching my yearly reading goals. One of the current bookclubs has kinda inspired my next choice of reading: Cells at Work. Although I will keep tabs on it, I’ll read the first volume on my own. I just don’t have the patience to side it and pick something else, rather focus on one thing at a time still. Will be an interesting read to learn some of the vocabulary present in this series. After I’m done with that I’m finally picking up Convenience Store Woman, which has been on my pile of books to read for a very long time. I’m also still playing Pokemon Scarlet whenever I can find the time.

22 Likes