Re Zero Volume 6 week 3

Woah I’d up for tha- I mean, betraying the others and reading ahead is baad you shouldn’t. I’ll be waiting

5 Likes

I mean if you all want to go faster I don’t mind

5 Likes

Sounds like things are getting interesting. I really want to read the comments, so I will be getting on to the reading tomorrow :smile:

6 Likes

Hi guys. im not reading along but i’ve been kinda stealthily checking up on the threads once in a while. (I was too noob when the club started to read along lol).

I had a question for you guys since you are on volume 6, does it get easier to read the more volumes you read? I mean not only in terms of reading experience, but also in terms of getting used to the vocabulary and grammar. (just to clarify I mean reading consecutive volumes of the same novels, like this club)

6 Likes

In general I’d say it does get easier, however the rate depends on the author. In particular, for some, the vocabulary remains varied and changes over time. That’s the case for Re:Sero for instance.
For DanMachi, I guess you’ll be mostly fine for volume 2. Volume 7 introduces a whole new part of the city, so you may expect a bunch of new vocab/situations at that time.

6 Likes

I do believe it gets easier. A lot of expression of vocab stay the same. Compare to volume now I’m super at ease with it althought depending on the scene it can get harder or easier. Action scene are still my weakness. But will you also get more used to looking up word and guessing some kanji reading. Every character does have a particular way of speaking which help you understand you speak but can make it harder to understand.

I say to best to know is to try. A little bit every day and you can make huge progress.

8 Likes

Just finished reading this week’s part.

Summary

Subaru’s plans just keep failing :sweat_smile:. He ended up not getting any help from anyone in the city, so he was just resigned to trying on his own. Then with some luck, he finds some merchants to help him. Then yet again, his new plan fails and encounters the white whale. Though, he knew the white whale would be showing up sometime soon, so he could’ve been a bit more proactive.

It is interesting that the white whale was focusing only on Subaru. Like you guys said, could be the witch scent. Also, is it a coincidence that the whale is showing up not long before the witch cultist’s show up? Could the white whale be part of the plan? (though not really sure what that would be)

Also, it was a bit sad when Subaru found out Rem was only helping Subaru because Roswald requested it. So, he basically lost the last person he trusted in. Hopefully the relationship will change in the future so it’s just not based on orders. Though, I still get the feeling it’s not completely based on orders.

I also enjoyed reading some of your theories, ie. Subaru not claiming the title of 傲慢 and just proves even more that he is fit for the position in the witch cultist’s eyes.

5 Likes
Sumsum

Regarding the white whale, I think Subaru just didn’t internalize the existence of that thing. Just because he has been told it exists, doesn’t mean you have to encounter it. In particular, having read ahead I have to assume that Subaru wasn’t paying attention at all when people told him about the characteristics of the whale. But, yeah, in any case, that’s on him (even though he couldn’t really have predicted when the fog would appear; well, now he knows :stuck_out_tongue: ).

But it’s not based on orders. She does have those orders, but she is following him out of her own will as well. It was made clear by her letter during the first iteration. But again, I feel that Subaru was just sleepwalking through the whole thing (that’s also the iteration when he was told about the white whales…)
I mean, okay, the first two cycles have been quite traumatic, so I can somehow understand that he didn’t remember everything, but it’s still my biggest pet-peeve about him. He is just so freaking slow at putting data together.

4 Likes
Summary

I don’ t know if it was in this week’s reading or the next but He did not have a lot of info on the white whale. It was also supposed to appear only the day after.(he forgot the time it take to report the appearance of the whale probably)

Yeah I’m she id doing it on her own. She said it during the second loop.

It is true. He should control more his emotion and think more but then again I never got killed 5 times in a painful way so…

3 Likes
Summary

I remember the author stated that Subaru completely forgot about the white whale and the fog on the highway and Rem didn’t receive that info in this loop, so you’re right. It was 2 loops ago and when the info appeared he was in a fit of anger, and in between is what happened with Betelgeuse too.

Yeah he really is slow when the subject is him himself. In general, what I feel is happening here though is that he’s just self justifying to himself that it’s only natural he’s not succeeding since he has no allies. With Rem, it must feel a million times easier on his psychology if she was just following orders, instead of her being devoted to him and still failing. It’s obviously not the case and I’m pretty sure he knows that, just remembering what happened in the cave is proof enough.

4 Likes
Wintery

Fair enough, most of those deaths weren’t of the “fall asleep and never wake up” kind (in fact, only one of them was). So, yeah, maybe I would get my brain scrambled too, and also

Yeah, I would probably forget a thing or two in that case.

But still, can’t help but shaking my head sometimes.
Having said that, this is probably my favorite book in the series so far not that I would know or anything

5 Likes

You’ve been trying to cleverly hide it for a while now, but I know what you’ve done. I could feel it from the start, from day 0.

4 Likes

勤勉!ワタシの行いは勤勉なるはず!
脳が!震えるるるるる。。

Ahem. I mean, what are you talking about?

4 Likes

I’m gonna casually change the subject so as not to let this week’s thread derail.

Where have you reached? Or did you God forbid finish it already? Very curious now :joy: For anyone else reading this, I’ll be good and stop here.

4 Likes

Bookmeter has all the answers :eyes:

3 Likes

I so want to talk, but we’ll meet again in the weekly threads :laughing:

3 Likes

Oops, and here I thought it was suspiciously quiet - I forgot to watch the thread. :stuck_out_tongue:

I also thought ‘Ok, he’s going to die any time now, wonder what info he still needs to be alive to get for the next loop.’ And then-

Btw @icefang97, next week please. :upside_down_face: :smiley:

I very much understand the impulse to just finish the book already. It’s a really good one! :slight_smile:

Loved the discussion about Subaru’s retention rate here. Good thing to keep in mind that while we get all the relevant info in a couple pages all laid out nice and clean, he has to live this and deal with all the things happening off screen too, plus the distraction of feelings and stuff. I’ll still be exasperated by next week stuff.

Oh, @mrahhal - there were ep 19 spoilers posted in a discord I’m in - I looked it up and it seems we’re in the midst of ep 17 now, and then I didn’t want to go ahead and spoiler myself. Is ep 19 still from this book? :eyes:

5 Likes

I have one word: 怠惰

:ok_hand:t2:

I’ll still be exasperated by

All for the greater good!

The start of it is the last chapter of this book. And boy good thing you avoided the spoilers. If you didn’t avoid them, this is my way of making you feel bad about it.

4 Likes

Indeed. :eyes:

They were nice and marked them as ep 19 spoilers, and I indeed managed to avoid them. :ok_hand: Phew.

So to be safe I should wait until the start of next book then? I might pull a @Naphthalene @mrahhal whatever the next smaller unit is.

You just made me even more curious. Dx

3 Likes

If everybody finishes the book early, we can just move on to the next one :ok_hand:
success

5 Likes