Re Zero Volume 1 Week 8

Now that the the op is fixed and I can be sure I didn’t read too far…

First of all, nice, ラインハルト is back :slightly_smiling_face:

And after reading the whole thing:

Every interaction between Subaru and ラインハルト so far has just been all-around amazing(as is ラインハルト himself, apparently, judging by how pretty much everything he does is described). That first line of the final part of the chapter is also quite something(well, there isn’t anything super special about the sentence itself, more just that it’s like “well, the story could have ended here and then this would just have been a happy ending without any complications… but we’re not doing that!”).

4 Likes

:eyes:

ラインハルト is awesome!

2 Likes

:sweat_smile:

And now I even know how to spell his name!

3 Likes

So, will the epilogue be in its own week next time?

3 Likes

hummm…

@Naphthalene ?

2 Likes

I have this strange feeling I know what they’ll answer, and it’ll be yes :thinking: Even better I didn’t have to die to acquire said information

More seriously though, I just remembered this post from the home thread from 2 months and five days ago (I have a good memory):

So unless we changed plans I’m guessing the epilogue will be its own week next week

3 Likes

As @Ditto20 said, that was the original plan to read 35 pages a week. Reading the epilogue would bump the page count a lot — I’m okay with that though.

3 Likes

So the epilogue was not counted ???

1 Like

No, it was next week.

3 Likes

oh! so it’s the 11.5 pages then?

3 Likes

Yep

2 Likes

well then there never was a problem then. All was according to our meticulous and calculated plan.

5 Likes

Well, next week is short, but that’s not an issue per se, yes.

3 Likes

It’s all calculated so that people that are behind could easily catch up. Everything has been calculated using scientific data

4 Likes

I had some question:

1 I don’t quite understance this sentence
颯爽とした後ろ姿には嫉妬心すら浮かばず、スバルは肩を落とすしかない。これが持てるものと持たざるものの違いか

颯爽 = refreshing wind
後ろ姿 = shape in the back
嫉妬心= feeling of envy
浮かぶ = to float

颯爽とした後ろ姿には嫉妬心すら浮かばず = the refreshing wind only left a behind a shape of envy

スバルは肩を落とすしかない = subaru could only dropped his shoulder

これが持てるものと持たざるものの違いか = This is the difference between the thing you are holding hand the think you want to hold?

the refreshing wind only left a behind a shape of envy, subaru could only dropped his shoulder. This is the difference between the thing you are holding hand the think you want to hold?

2 そしてくの字に折れた北国特有の刀剣

字 = caracter
折れた = broken
北国 = north country
特有 = caracteristic
刀剣 = sword

This caracter(way it’s breaks/curves)is a caracteristique of the nothern country sword.

He is probably talking about the way the sword is curved but I don’t get how it is said.

3 尋常じゃ、ねぇな。俺も

気力もわかねぇよ

尋常 = ordinary
茶化す to poke fun of
気力 = will power

This is not ordinary. I don’t understand that he poke fun a my willpower???

Thanks for your help

2 Likes

(Took me a while to find the sentences, but after I read those parts and from my understanding of the series, I’ll answer)

颯爽とした後ろ姿には嫉妬心すら浮かばず、スバルは肩を落とすしかない。これが持てるものと持たざるものの違いか

颯爽 isn’t anything wind related here, it takes the meaning of heroic/gallant. So this whole thing means:

“Subaru, seeing the heroic figure from behind and not being able to even feel envious, only shrugged his shoulders. This is the difference between someone who has it, and someone who just doesn’t [he thought].”

そして"く"の字に折れた北国特有の刀剣

“A blade bent in the shape of “く” that’s particular to the northern countries”

Here's a closer look of the blade

尋常じゃ、ねぇな。俺も茶化す気力もわかねぇよ

“He’s not normal, to the point that I don’t even have the energy to joke about it.”

4 Likes

颯爽: gallant, dashing, jaunty
とした: this is a weird grammar point but it’s used as a connector between some adjectives and the nouns they describe., you can parse this as 颯爽である.

後ろ姿: this in itself is just one word. it’s basically the figure of someone who has their back turned towards you.

嫉妬心: feelings of envy
浮かばず: negative ず form of 浮かぶ (one of its meanings is “to come to mind”). the ず form means the same as the ないで form (浮かばないで)

So the whole phrase is something like (paraphrased) “Not even feeling envy at the gallant retreating figure, Subaru can’t help but drop his shoulders. So this is the difference between popular and unpopular people…”.

3 Likes

I think this means I read a crazy amount today. :scream: My head feels funny. :sweat:

On the plus side, yay, cliff hanger at the end of the book! I really wonder what note the epilogue is gonna end on.

Man, this was a crazy ride. I am very satisfied with this book. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I am too :slight_smile: that being said, I’m starting to wonder how things will play out from now on. If he dies again, he will have to go through all that again? :scream: I mean, he’s probably going to get used to it at some point, but still.

3 Likes

Congrats on finishing my dudes

2 Likes