Race to Your Goal! December 2020 JLPT

And finally got my first burns today! Got 2 wrong :frowning_face:

5 Likes

I went through a lot of stuff here but I have settles on the following:
I think Wanikani is enough for me as the only main app, then I supplement it with the physical Sou matome books for more grammar and other stuff for the JLPT. Other things I pick up from TV, emails, messages daily so that is enough for my feeble, tiny brain to process.
(I did think about the 10K but I don’t know which one is the correct deck in Anki so I kinda left it open in the backgroun on my laptop and just quit searching.)

2 Likes

For my part I will totally skip N5 and N4 test. I will start to take N3 in December 2020 Or December 2021.

I think taking N4 could be cool to have a motivation and to keep it up if you want to have a goal in time, but I think the certificate only start to have a value above N3. (Or if you have a particular demand for example for a scholarship at university or so on)

Theoratically, I wanted to only take N2 but it seams that taking N3 it’s better to start to have the habits of this kind of test. Like baching for TOEIC.

2 Likes

Finally level 20, it just took me … please don’t ask :sob:
Yesterday I also reached my 200 day streak and forgot to celebrate it.

8 Likes

Yeah! Finally ! Good job ! You have leveled up so quickly, I was waiting on the Big Burn celebration thread to see if you posted one :smiley:

1 Like

Yeahhh ! Good job ! And good 201 day streak !

2 Likes

You are probably not gonna use it since you have real life exposure (and I know very well from experience that WK is already almost overwhelming by itself). But if you decided on not just because Anki is not user-friendly here goes the explanation (I’m starting from zero, skip these if you have tried Anki already):

1. You first install Anki
  2. Then you download an APKG file (it’s basically a deck) on your computer.
    The one I was suggesting previously was this: Core 10K, WK order
  3. Then you open Anki, go into FileImport —> Select that APKG file you downloaded. (Since it’s heavy it may take sometime)

Note: In case this is what generated the confusion, that particular deck is made of many subdecks. They did that to put words in the order they would be here in WK (and for an overall better organization). There are 62 subdecks: 60 for the 60 WK levels and 2 extras (one kana only, the other should contain non-WK kanji).
You should’t start all them (although you can). I think there are three alternative common routes:

1. You start from the “Level 1” subdeck (inside the “Pleasant” group) and then proceed in order (i.e. once LV1 cards end you start doing cards from LV2…)
  2. You start from the Kana only deck, and after that you go to LV1 etc.
  3. You do both at the same time (less cards from each obviously).

As you can see from my screenshot I decided to go to route number 2.

Screenshot

The whole red thing is the deck. But since I’m doing only the Kana words right now, I click on that “Kana” subdeck —> Spacebar (and then it starts).

Some Anki tips:
  • Install the Night mode add-on
  • Do NOT use the mouse. Spacebar to show the card back then press the keys on your keyboard: number “1” (Again) or “2” (Hard) or “3” (Easy) . Repeat until reviews end. I think I’m consuming the 2 key…
    It’s a game changer. Going on those buttons with a touchpad would be hell.
  • When you see a card, pressing “E” will open the note. You can change the translation (and sometimes add one that you like better). Also on this deck it will show you an image related to that word.**
  • Going on “Stats” (once inside your deck/subdeck) will show you some cool stuff. You can also just press T.

**EDIT: I noticed that some of those images are plainly wrong. Who added them must have done it with a program, because some are so wrong it’s not even funny. No person would have made that many mistakes.
I suggest you look up the words in Google Images and disregard the included images.

If you decide to try and have any questions, I’ll gladly answer. I’m an Anki noob myself though, so don’t expect too much :joy:

2 Likes

I hadn’t realised that thread existed, I’ve just posted there now!

2 Likes

Yes. I started studying November 2017, skipped summer jlpt (learned about it too late). Did N4 December 2018. Got a near perfect score.

4 Likes

Wow you’re really power through the levels! Well done. I had my first burns at a much lower level which just goes to show the difference in our progress! Hopefully I won’t fall too far behind as you power on ahead :sweat_smile:

1 Like

I suspect you’ll be making more progress in other areas which I’ve been neglecting a bit. And I think I’m going to be hit badly as the burns keep going!

2 Likes

You could also give torii a try if you want to do the 10k! It’s pretty easy to install and works similar to wanikani. I believe you can also set it to remove all WK vocab using your API token thing. Much more user friendly than Anki in my opinion :slight_smile:

1 Like

My best advice is just don’t stop! And if ever you do, don’t leave it! get going asap! When you’re doing a fast pace like that you get great results in terms of recollection and progress but the cost is the ever looming fear of reviews should you miss a day! :laughing:
That’s why It’s taken me over a year to get to around the same level as you haha. Life got in the way a few times and the reviews piled up into the thousands after a couple of weeks! :flushed: It takes time to come back from that haha.

3 Likes

Finally level 10.
Took 11 days! Even though I got impatient near the end I liked going slow. By the way for the last levels my wrong rates gone up, more than I want to admit. Is it normal or should I slow down even more :disappointed:

5 Likes

It depends what the rate of errors is, and what you’re happy with. Ten (edit: eleven) days isn’t slow.

4 Likes

For me, what helped accuracy is doing reviews on time (especially the 4 and 8 hours!) rather than going slow. Eg. studying at 18:00, 22:00 and 8:00.

3 Likes

Yep I think consistency and especially doing the early reviews on time. But you can go slow by just doing a few lessons at a time.

3 Likes

Oh and forgot to post, I levelled up to 26 this morning - 6 days and 22 hours. For me going fast helps me to be consistent, but I know that doesn’t work for everyone.

5 Likes

Nice! Yes, me too. Before I quit last time, I have been going at it slower and typically only reviewed once per day in one big chunk. Whether I would add 5, 10 or 15 lessons, it hardly mattered. After stretching the 4 hour interval to 24 hours, my accuracy was not that great, even if I were to slow down further.

5 Likes

I am consistent but it’s just that I started having a couple leeches. I will work on those. Thanks for the tips though :smile:

3 Likes