Race to the Cake šŸ°

Well, have heard of them, but I surely didnt have them in mind when updating my level

I looked up some data, it says here that there have only been 27 leap seconds since 1972.

I used a calculator to tell me roughly how many seconds there have been in those 46 years

so to believe that I am refering to a leap second is a bet of 1 in 54,905,530
roughly of courseā€¦
and so I looked up the odds to win the lottery (which lottery, idk some lottery somewhere)

I guess we should go play the lottery, weā€™re feeling lucky :smiling_imp:

This was all for fun, donā€™t get a wrong idea. :slight_smile:
Looking that up was worth my time pun intended

Even if the odds are as low as
Youā€™re right in saying that you canā€™t be sure if Iā€™m 59 or 60.

But!!

Is there any leap minutes in an hour? :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

Nope. Hence my confusion :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

I changed my speed to the average speed since I started doing wanikani actively again! Since level 27 or something I decided to stick to a schedule (level up at 9pm, first review 1am or something, etc etc). Iā€™m really enjoying it like this! Makes me feel more motivated to level up nearly every week.

2 Likes

Hey Guys,
it was a bit busy around Christmas but I made it to level 35 on Christmas eve :wink:
yeah I reached N3 comparable levels in one year of Wanikani. But now Iā€™ll try to slow down and especially disable some of my scriptsā€¦ I didnā€™t just abuse the reorder script but also my ā€œoverrideā€ script. Iā€™ll disable this one and keep on working on my leeches and stuff, until I get to a natural accuracy of 85%+ before I touch the override script again.
And now it is also finally the time to focus more on Grammar for me :wink: and on texts, so you guys might read less frequent from me now :wink:

But you guys motivated me to get here :wink: and all the other wanikanians as well. So keep on fighting for yourselves as well! Iā€™ll be waiting here.

@ploopy1000 @riverpuppy @Papayaya

3 Likes

I usually post when I level up. I wonā€™t do that until tomorrow morning. But I did want to say that Iā€™m finally back at
for the first time since October. Yay me!

Just in time for the fast levelsā€¦ Gulpā€¦ Now I have to start pre-studying kanji.

6 Likes

OK, obligatory level up post. Iā€™m now in the fast levels, which means I had to memorize all 37 kanji the night before levelling up. Now I have to tackle a mountain of vocabulary so that I donā€™t get behind. Iā€™ll try to keep this up. If it all gets too much, Iā€™ll slow it down and go back to my ā€˜normalā€™ seven day pace.

Also, I reorganized the rankings up top, now that @Naphthalene and @Ninkastmin have graduated from racing to eating cake. If you havenā€™t seen it, read @Naphthaleneā€™s excellent how-i-made-it-to-level-60-without-breaking-a-sweat post here. Itā€™s terrific. And Iā€™m sure @Ninkastmin is hard at work on his even I type these words. å¾…ć”ć‹ć­ć¦ć„ć‚‹ć‚ˆ.

5 Likes

What? That canā€™t be mine, I broke multiple sweats on the way D:

Good job on the level up, though!

3 Likes

And speaking of sweating, here I am levelling up again in 3.5 days. Fast levels. So very fast. Donā€™t know if I have time to catch my breathā€¦ I seem to be okay at learning a lot of kanji quickly. The issue seems to be somewhere between Master and Enlightenment stages when my brain decides to flush out this useless trivia. I wonder how this issue will be affected by a series of fast levels. Time will tell.

ćØć«ć‹ćć€ēš†ć•ć‚“ćø态č‰Æć„ćŠå¹“ć‚’ļ¼

5 Likes

Same. I feel like the SRS schedule is a bit suboptimal there.

Hahaha itā€™s funny, ā€˜cause I know :joy: :smile: :neutral_face: :sob:

4 Likes

i decided to take a progress break.

itā€™s becoming more and more difficult to memorize new stuff these last few levels (started at 26), and iā€™ve been distracted by other things.

i might just burn everything i have now, and start to resurrect kanji from older levels to solidify them, and to keep a certain degree of activity up, because just doing reviews, iā€™ll not see much stuff each day, and with nothing to do, i believe my moral will zero out.

i wonder if this is a neuronal thing, a message from my brain telling me it needs to digest first, or if thatā€™s just me being lazy. i guess the hunger will return, probably soon.

maybe iā€™ll just keep going till 40 and do it then, or at 50, or at 60. i donā€™t know yet. all i do know is that iā€™m feeling friction and need to reduce it.

lvl 30 is half-way. iā€™ll level up to 31, just ā€œto have the worst behind meā€. letā€™s see how this turns out.

7 Likes

kudos to you in your fast level journey,
I donā€™t doubt that weā€™ll see you soon at 60, so thereā€™s little for me to say. :slight_smile:

@Naphthalene gomen, I pretty much blacked out the whole last week, I missed your level-60 post. Iā€™m going over there right now.

@OmukaiAndi level 30 is a damn great level, I donā€™t know how tired you might be but rest assured that if you keep at this even at slow pace you will be 60 in no time as well

Since new year is approaching (at least for me) Iā€™ll be writing my own level-60 post

Hey minna, Happy new year!!

5 Likes

ēš†ć•ć‚“ć€ę˜Žć‘ć¾ć—ć¦ćŠć‚ć§ćØ恆ļ¼

5 Likes

This is my (for now) semi-weekly level up post.

With these short levels, I feel like Iā€™m riding a rocket. I havenā€™t cracked yet. So far.

@OmukaiAndi, Hey buddy, I was just looking back at the Level 29 kanji, andā€¦ Iā€™m amazed at how few I remember. Iā€™m a couple weeks away from burning them, so I imagine Iā€™ll have limited success when that time comes. All that to say that, yes, long term memorization is challenging. But the point of this little exercise (I mean WK) is to challenge our memories and have things repeated until we finally do memorize them.

Of course you know whatā€™s best for you. Iā€™m just a little concerned for you since youā€™ve mentioned that youā€™ve gotten so far with WK in the past and then reset (was it a couple times?), so I wonder if your current frustration isnā€™t a mental block that you need to push past.

Having said that, thereā€™s absolutely nothing wrong with slowing down, though I donā€™t know if burning everything you have now is the way to go. What helped me when I was feeling overwhelmed and unable to memorize a while ago, was to A) not worry if I got things wrong, but B) after a review session, really test myself again on the ones I just got wrong, so that Iā€™d at least (probably) get them right the next time they came up. That helped me feel like I was making progress again.

Anyway, sorry if Iā€™m intruding. I donā€™t wish to be pushy. Youā€™ve made great progress so far, and itā€™s completely up to you whether to continue or take a break. Good luck in any case!

2 Likes

nah, itā€™s absolutely appreciated. i since leveled to 31 and started on the radicals, but didnā€™t touch the kanji yet.

itā€™s a huge number of things weā€™re tackling here, i believe my problem is only temporary, but i have to deal with it anyway. all the stuff i burned in the past is still healthy i think, but these new ones, starting at lvl 27, are still shaky even now, and that worries me, because why go through this if the result is a 50% recall a year after i burned something?

for now, iā€™ll just keep going and see if some of these problems evaporatorate by themselves.

i reset once after i returned from a 3yr break, from 24 to 20, no big deal. donā€™t worry, iā€™m not notorious for starting over all the time :slight_smile: just trying to figure out a good way to handle it all. my goal is lvl 40 by April :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Youā€™ll be fine. I donā€™t take the idea of ā€œburnedā€ that seriously. Not if itā€™s only nine exposures to a given kanji in one year. I think it takes something more than that for something to be truly burned into your brain.

Not to say that any of this is a waste. Itā€™s a great foundation and I think every time you learn something anew youā€™re more likely to remember it the next time. My advice to myself is always to read more, because in context is when I really cement things.

3 Likes

@Ninkastmin Belated congratulations :balloon::tada::champagne: ! I took time off the forum these last weeks (and of leveling up :neutral_face:). Well done!!! How does it feel up there?

2 Likes

Why have you forsaken me? :c

just kidding

Thank you so much! Well, it feelsā€¦ caky? haha, it feels good because i could finally take my first step in the japanese path to fluency

Hey, youā€™re almost there. I expect to see you soon :smiley:

3 Likes

And we are live! You can edit your speed in the second post, @MikaelBaka, @kondoisami, @Liphiarlyn, @Sulax, @marinauyeda!

Currently Mikael is in the lead, but weā€™ll see for how long! Letā€™s all eat the cake, yall!

5 Likes

I just checked on wkstat andā€¦ my average lv up speed is 9 days 1 hour. Kiiinda slow lmao

1 Like

Mine is 23 days, 18 hours. I just put there the speed Iā€™m currently going at :small_airplane:.

2 Likes