Quick question... Different ways of saying the same thing? Or not?

Hi,

So, I was looking at one of the example sentences given i.e.

わたしはコウイチの意見に同感ですね。
I empathise with Koichi’s views.

Empathy being a suru verb, could you not equally say this (formality aside, though it is likely the type of thing one would say more carefully and so perhaps more formally, I suppose!)? Or does this yield a different connotation? Or perhaps it plainly doesn’t have that sense, because I haven’t looked at grammar for a while.

わたしはコウイチの意見を同感するね。
I empathise with Koichi’s views

ありがとう

2 Likes

You would use に rather than を.

Overall, yeah I would say they feel the same to me meaning wise but the first one feels more natural in this case.

3 Likes

Thank you :slight_smile:

Can I ask for suru verbs in general are such things more likely to be the case? Or does it depend on the word/context?

Well it depends pretty much entirely on the word yeah, but since you’re asking about likelihood I can still give you an answer. を is the more commonly correct one, so if you gotta guess then I would go with that one.

There are a handful of verbs that use に and not all of them for the same reason. There are plenty of sites that explain some of the differences that you can use

https://www.wasabi-jpn.com/japanese-grammar/objects-of-japanese-verbs-with-particles-o-ni-and-to/#3

My personal advice is to honestly do what you want when it comes to studying it, but know that (imo) this can be a pretty tricky subject for beginner and intermediate. If you don’t get it 100%, I wouldn’t sweat it and would honesty just leave it up to your brain to notice patterns on its own. Some verbs that use に that seem like they should use を will make a lot more sense when you can understand the japanese definition like 憧れる.

2 Likes

Thank you, Vanilla :slight_smile:

I’ve used that site a bit before. I either didn’t use it for that bit, or I forgot! Ha! Good gauge to go by/take a punt with.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.