Question about を and に in following sentence

Hello everyone, I was watching a video about a game and found the を and に on rather strange positions in the following sentence:
拠点前壁、ヒーラー、サポーター露払い用のスズを置いたら次にマズルを中央上の岩に置いて

I would have thought that the を and に should be swapped to create a sentence like this 拠点前に壁、ヒーラー、サポーターを(置いて) in which 拠点前 is marked as location with に and the objects/characters to place by に.

5 Likes

It’s usually helpful to provide the original source if you can. Was it this video?

Ah sorry, yes it was.

1 Like

Unfortunately it’s a bit heavy on the gaming lingo for me to be confident about what’s a location and what’s a character and what’s a role… My guess would be an implicit する, for a <role/location>を<character>にする structure.

壁、ヒーラー、サポーター would be a roles and 拠点前 is the location.
Wouldn’t ~を~にする mean something like “to transform/make/use/view the front of the base (拠点前) as wall, healer, supporter” (壁、ヒーラー、サポーター)? From the video I would say it’s about placing the roles in front of the base and according to jisho there is nothing about placing (as position) and the object would need to be the roles or does ~を~にする have another meaning not listed?

I think it’s kind of like in English you can say “Make the back row your mage and healer, and put the fighter at the front”, where ‘back row’ could be thought of as a location but it’s also kind of like a role, a slot that you can make be character X or Y, and the ‘make…’ version is what you get if you’re thinking of it more like that and less like ‘put the character in a given spatial location’.

Edit: I’m not like super-confident in this interpretation, though.

5 Likes

It does sound possible. Thank you for your help!

1 Like

Yes, in the most usual sense, but also remember that a ‘decision making’ nuance for 〜にする also exists, which is why I think this makes sense:

We could also translate this interpretation as ‘pick a tank, healer and supporter for the zone in front of your base’. In essence, it would be assuming that the sentence was meant to be written as

拠点前 壁、ヒーラー、サポーター 露払い用のスズを置いたら次にマズルを中央上の岩に置いて

However, I personally think that the one element we really need to confirm (or potentially invalidate) this interpretation is this:

Is this スズ (I’m presuming it’s a bell) an item that gets equipped on characters, or is it an item that affects the entire field?

On the other hand (based on what I found after a quick search), if スズ is in fact a character (and I believe she’s placed on the left side of the field along with the rest), then I think there are two possible interpretations: one is what @pm215 has already said. The other would be using に as a listing particle (i.e. ‘put a wall/tank, healer, supporter and Suzu in front of the base’), but I believe that に is usually repeated after each item in the list in that case, and not just inserted before the final item. Additionally, this second interpretation would mean there is a grammatical error in the sentence, which I’m not that keen to believe since it’s not that long, so it’s not that likely that one would forget what particle one had used in the previous phrase (or that one wouldn’t have a verb in mind when using that particle).

In short, I think the 〜を〜に(して) interpretation is the more convincing one (especially since in my experience, it’s much more common than the small list of ‘grammar points’ containing that structure suggests).

2 Likes

Yes it is indeed the character on the left side.

This sentence does make sense in english, but the problem here would be that the tank, healer and supporter would need to be marked with を and not the zone in front of the base, atleast that is what I think, but since I am still learning I could be wrong.

So I think pm215 deduction:

Does make sense, even tough I do think that it sounds a bit strange since normaly one would say put or pick the role for the position.

It could also be that the person tried to say one sentence and then mix it up with another, but it rather unlikely since they would probably edit it then.

Also thank you for your help.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.