Pronunciation without tripping up

My pronunciation and fludity of how I read out loud in Japanese is horrible for example, I took these from a wanikani lesson I’m doing because I try to pronounce the example sentences:
上のひょうをみてください。

このフロアの三かい上にトーフグのオフィスがあります。

I know how to pronounce the words but I have trouble making it all fluid and saying it without stopping, because when I read an example sentence (those ones were for the up kanji vocab) I kinda sound like this:
Konofuroanomikai ue…nitoo…fuguofisugaa…imasu.
I basically trip up, slow down, speed up and slow down again as I try to string together what I’m saying as it all falls apart.

Very normal this.
I do this too.

Earlier today I read a book and felt very fluent in my head. Then I tried reading it out loud, actually pronouncing everything… oh my do I need to practice more reading :sweat_smile:

I know it’s so annoying, like how will speak if I keep tripping up, like, I even trip up in english as well!

Happens to me too. Used to be worse before I started reading out lout almost every day (not much, even a few sentences is enough). It’s one of those things I don’t worry about at all because as long as you keep reading, it keeps getting better and better without much thought or effort.

Sharing my post over here too since you made a new thread for this and if it helps someone stumbling upon it:

This is for sure something I need practice in too xD

Watch shows with Japanese subtitles and follow along to learn the rhythm.

Practicing using shadowing techniques helps!
nihongoperapera.com/shadowing.html

I’m also currently taking this online class:

Japanese people also have pauses in their sentences, just not necessarily as many and as long as those a learner would have. The key is not in avoiding pauses entirely to speed through sentences, it is in finding where it is natural to pause.

Instead of trying to read an entire sentence in one breath, keep your pauses but have them fall after each particle instead of randomly in the middle of words. Practice reading that way, then slowly work your way up to reading the entire sentence fluidly. This will help with your intonation and having stress in the correct places when you get to reading fluidly, too.

So, for the examples you’ve given it would go:

上の。。。ひょうを。。。みてください。
-> 上のひょうを。。。みてください。
-> 上のひょうをみてください。

このフロアの。。。三かい上に。。。トーフグの。。。オフィスが。。。あります。

->このフロアの三かい上に。。。トーフグのオフィスが。。。あります。

->このフロアの三かい上に。。。トーフグのオフィスがあります。

->このフロアの三かい上にトーフグのオフィスがあります。

Btw, 三かい is read as さんかい, not みかい or みっかい.

Other tips/observations:

• When you’re reading a new sentence out loud for the first time, take a moment to identify where that first pause will be before reading the first part out loud. Once you’ve read that part out loud, pause and do the same for the next part, then the next, then the next, and so on until you get to the end of the sentence.

• Once you’ve started combining sentence parts together, the first ones you’ll want to combine are those connected by a の, as these generally make up two parts of a whole and aren’t usually separated by native speakers (there are exceptions!)

• The particle most paused after by native speakers is probably , so that’s the best place to have pauses.

Disclaimer: Everything mentioned in this post is based off my personal experiences and observations and no official source, so if anyone disagrees with anything I say please point it out and let’s have a discussion.

Also, as many have said, you should listen to native speakers as that will help you identify the natural flow and inflections of a sentence and where pauses should fall.

TL;DR Put pauses after each particle in the sentence at first, then work your way up to reading the entire sentence as a whole.