Post your J-CAT score!

Oh wow, this test is for free?! Will take it in a few weeks, a month or two before the JLPT to see what I have to focus on :slight_smile:

1 Like

First time. Around March 2017, I’m guessing.
Result: Rage quit the test.

Second time. August 2017.
j-cat%202nd

Third time. July 2018.
j-cat%203rd

This time. March 2019
J-CAT%20score_report%202019-03-02

The improvement in vocabulary, I hope is well deserved.

The most notable improvement however, reading… I’m doubtful. In all categories, time is my greatest adversary. The test kept alternating between a fairly short, mostly hiragana text (I’m guessing I answered all of those right) and a in comparison ridiculously hard text, twice the length at least and full of kanji (I don’t know if I did worse or better than chance here… I sure didn’t know the answer for any of them). Somehow I feel like I could have figured out most of the difficult texts, given time. That is, figure them out to the extent that I have an opinion (right or wrong) on what the right answer might be. But in 2.5 min… I didn’t stand a chance.

2 Likes

what are your main resources for studying?

Also congratulations on reviving grammar lol

(seriously though this is such a good score, amazing!!)

1 Like

Well, I registered on the 26th of February, but haven’t received an e-mail yet. ):
Now the site says you can only take a test once every 6 months.

It’s always been once per 6 months.

Are you saying you signed up 11 months ago and never got an email?

Sorry, I’m retarded, the month should’ve been February.

I know it’s bordeline on time or too late. Could it be working days/hours?

Edit: another quick update. I’ve requested access with another e-mail address just in case, and I’ve received a confirmation of the request by e-mail, which I never got the first time. So something probably went wrong, very likely on my side. I’ll just wait three days and see whether this new request works.

Edit 2:

Yeah, I did.
The message I received on my second account was indeed in the spam folder

Did you check the spam folder? That’s what happened to me last time.

Thanks for the compliment!

I am actually one of those people who studied Japanese formally in the past, then stopped using it, and am now trying to get it back again. So my main resource in recent times has been WK - partly for the kanji, and mostly for the motivation I’ve gained from making friends here, getting involved in the bookclubs, and finding a study buddy who’s prepared to work through grammar textbooks with me.

3 Likes

That’s great!! It’s so nice that you’re getting back to studying and then getting such good results. That must be motivating.

Especially your reading score is impressive!! I hope I can get to that sometime too💪 (so you are motivating me too haha)

2 Likes

Reminding myself to take the J-Cat around April 22nd

Hi all,

I’m hesitating to post this, after my last stupid post about registration, but here I go.
I’ve received a password and successfully logged in. During the sound/flash etc check, however, it seems to assess my internet speed at 0.1 kbps, which is on the low side, to put it mildly.
For further reference, the time it takes to even assess my speed (at the J-Cat website) is >4 minutes, and it takes ages for a ‘start the test’ button to appear. I haven’t taken time, but it’s around 4 minutes as well.

Has anyone had similar experiences? Is there a common cause of this, and can I fix this somehow?

1 Like

Is it possible your browser is blocking them? Check the site settings.

Thanks a lot!
I checked the page settings, and unchecked blocking of pop-ups and redirects. This fixed the speed and I could do the test.

Results:

So if I understand correctly, a total of 147 corresponds to Pre-intermediate or level 3. This level 3 corresponds to N4, because the level 3 is based on the old JLPT.

As I expected, grammar is my weak point. I’ve never actively learned grammar until a week or two ago starting bunpro, except for the things I picked up via watching anime, variety shows and playing games.

All in all, I’m not dissatisfied, as I’m not physically top fit (at the start of a cold right now), and just very bad at Japanese :') . Aiming for N4 in summer should be a realistic goal for now I’d guess.

Edit: I don’t really mean to whine or anything, but I thought the font was somewhat annoying. Everything looked like screenshot below and I had to make some effort just to read even some of the simpler kanji. Or maybe I (or my eyesight) am just that bad at reading, or have missed some obvious setting again.

6 Likes

Was it actually blurry like that for you? I didn’t have any issue with the font.

This is what it looked like for me:

3 Likes

You could also interpret it like this: with 4 points more your score would be at N3 level. This means that if you spend a lot of time focusing on grammar, somehow manage to get this up, you might try for N3 as well😃

If you decide to take the jlpt in december, I think there is more than enough time for you to get your score to 175 or something

Edit: I saw now you want to take it in July! Still I think if you have time it’s not impossible :slight_smile: there’s still… 4 months!

3 Likes

The pixelated smudged furigana was one of the reasons I rage quit the first time I did the test. It wasn’t the main reason… just one of the things that contributed to pushing me off the edge. I got no problems reading it now. But at the time it felt like a secret third kana-set no one ever told you you needed to learn.

2 Likes

Yeah, that is a screenshot from the practice questions (as I decided to finish the test before making screenshots). Yours is way more readable, so there’s probably some setting I overlooked. I’ll look into it, and see if there’s something.

Unfortunately, Leiden doesn’t offer the test per December, so that’s not really an option.
Thank you for your encouragement, but I don’t really feel I can bridge that gap the coming period (time constraints being an issue). I will do my best though, and if things really are easier than I think, I might even try N2 next year or something…

1 Like

I’m also going to take it in Leiden!!! :smiley:

I completely understand what you mean!! I was in the same position some time ago and really wanted to push myself to the highest level possible, but eventually I became so busy with class that it wouldn’t have been possible anyway (the grammar was a lot too and I couldn’t figure out a way to learn it effectively… Sadness)

Good luck in July!!!

2 Likes

JCAT%201
Just took the JCAT for the first time and I’m really pleased with my results! This is the first Japanese test I’ve ever taken, and I’m not planning on taking the JLPT until I can take the N3 level.

4 Likes

2018/07/14
JCAT%E3%83%86%E3%82%B9%E3%83%88%E7%B5%90%E6%9E%9C%EF%BC%91
2019/03/10
JCAT%E3%83%86%E3%82%B9%E3%83%88%E7%B5%90%E6%9E%9C%EF%BC%92

文法の質問早すぎー!でもやっぱ聴解力を上達させなきゃ。アニメを見る理由になるのかな

9 Likes