Over-complications

I think I realised what one of my problems are with WK.
Some of the stories are WAY more complicated than they should be and have so many unnecessary details that just confuses me.

For example:

"You return to the store and wait in line to return the scooter but the person working returns doesn’t want you to return it. He stares you dead in the eyes, waves his hand, and turns you into a hen (へん)!

Hint:
The employee leans down toward you in hen form and says, “Ooh, I’m sorry. We don’t take returns from hens. You’ll have to just return home.” "

Instead of all of that, why not say “return it for a hen (that will take you everywhere)”?
Because now all I have in my head is standing in the queue, an angry employee, a return refusal, a magic wand, a then-condescending employee and so on.

Also - It would be SOOO nice if WK was in order of the JLPT and had the vocabulary lessons separated from the main learning process (where you can learn simultaneously if you wish, but wouldn’t affect your progress with the radicals and kanji), as they take so much time!

Just a little rant and a suggestion for WK, I guess.

2 Likes

Koichi’s thoughts on mnemonics is that they should involve the senses and/or strong emotion.

If a different mnemonic works better for you, then by all means go with that. It almost seems like a tautology, but in the end, the best mnemonic to use is the one that works best for you.

8 Likes

I just make up my own if I don’t like the one provided. How about you ran over the hen with your scooter and now you’re trying to return it full of dents and blood and gore?

What would be the point of learning kanji but no vocabulary? It’s like learning numbers but not math because it’ll slow you down getting to the 6 digit numbers… Japanese is not kanji on a website, it’s sentences and people :slight_smile:

12 Likes

I can understand your frustration here. When I’m learning a new kanji I sometimes mix up the mnumonic story with the actual meaning as well

2 Likes

Umm, they actually don’t affect your progress at all.

1 Like

Even if you ignore the vocabulary that are in your lessons after finishing learning all of the level’s kanji, when you level up you have to learn the previous level’s vocabulary before the new radicals and kanji of the new level will appear in the lessons.

1 Like

Yeah, that’s what I’m doing and writing them in the notes, but it’ll make it so much simpler if all of the information in the stories given both in the meaning and in the reading can be shortened and included in one short sentence, like “return it for a hen” .

1 Like

this is basically what my mind does. I don’t look at the stories at all. I just look at the meaning, look at the reading, and then briefly glance at whatever is highlighted/bolded in the “story” and see if I can develop my own quick mnemonic. It’s only after struggling that I’ll look back at the lengthy block of text in English about randomness…

3 Likes

You can use reorder script to prevent that from happening. But vocabulary is still an important part of learning and if you ignore them completely it will hinder your progress in the long run.

4 Likes

There you have a personal mnemonic here. Well done.

7 Likes

That’s not likely to happen. WK is meant to be a Kanji learning site, not a JLPT prep site.

You can use the Reorder script to ignore your vocabulary entirely and just focus on Radicals and Kanji. Though, you might want to look into what happened to those who did that. There are threads about that. I wouldn’t recommend it.

4 Likes

This should be the newest version.

1 Like

Yep, I look at vocab when the reading mnemonic doesn’t stick

2 Likes

WK isn’t a JLPT prep site and not all users plan to take the JLPT. So that is of debatable utility for all users. Also, the point of WK is that it tries to teach simple kanji first and use those as building blocks for the more complicated kanji. This does not align to JLPT order. If you need a JLPT prep deck, there are already those in existence for Anki, Kitsun, etc.

This is a trap that way too many people have fallen into on this site and you seem to be going down it as well. The vocabulary are a very important reinforcement method and are also used to make sure you learn a variety of other readings for each kanji (barring the kanji that right now are mostly only used in names). Skipping them so you can fly through the levels has been shown to in the end be very detrimental to quite a few people’s learning. Getting to level 60 is not what should be the achievement you should be aiming. It’s have a well-rounded knowledge of the kanji and the various common readings.

7 Likes

Which one of those are you going to remember in a month from now? Four months from now?

If the shorter version works better for you then, by all means, stick to it. I’ve tried both over the last year and there’s balance you have to find for yourself between complicated and memorable.

Well, preferably neither. By the four-month point, you should hopefully be at the point where you can just remember without the mnemonic. The mnemonic is just a scaffold on which you build your connections - when you’re done, you should be able to take the scaffold away.

1 Like

Fair point. Although I do still find myself using the mnemonic for Enlightenment and beyond on about half the items. The ones I don’t need it on usually have the most associated vocab.

1 Like

About 70% of my mnemonics are personal mnemonics anyway. I have to take a moment during lessons and/or the first few reviews to come up with something that sticks, but it’s more efficient in the long run.

3 Likes