Old Vs new radicals - odd question

Hey all! Long time member, first post.

So I started WK a couple of years ago, and took a huge break (read: level 3 took me 620 days and then level 4 took me 164 days) but I’m now back on more or less full time. Along the way, I noted that some of the radicals have changed over time - and I do remember at some point resetting the radicals and adding the new ones back into my queue.

Anyway, fast forward to level 7 and the ‘duck’ radical. I thought it was one of the weirder ones, but shrug. I have been typing “duck” every time and I’ve just got it to guru…and so now I’ve unlocked all the related kanji, they’re all referencing the…“clan” radical?? Lo and behold, I take a look at the radicals and there is no such thing as the duck radical anymore, though there used to be! Furthermore, it’s not one I had even unlocked before the great radical overhaul.

If it matters, I’m using the Flaming Durtles android app. But in any case, my question is: am I going mad? Do I need to do something else in order to make sure I’m using only the “new” versions of these radicals or will I just have to deal with radicals mysteriously changing once I guru them?

Thanks!

Nope, not going mad. ^^ Anyone that signed up before the radical overhaul has access to the old menmonics. And while some radicals names aren’t listed anymore, there is a secret white list of answers for those that learned under the old systems, so that they don’t get punished for their memory working well. :+1:

In the options, you can set whether you want old or new mnemonics to be prioritised, and if you ever reset, you’ll lose access to all the old stuff.

4 Likes

Man, I’m sure there were reasons that have been amply considered, but I think I started after the radical overhaul, and that’s one that I remember by telling myself “oh yeah, the clan radical is the one that looks like a duck.”

4 Likes

Here’s the full list:

https://www.wanikani.com/tools/dorc/form_tfg42

The old names are still included an invisible synonyms, though.

2 Likes

Hah, thanks all! I’ll be sure to be more wary of it in the future.

Funny enough, I can very clearly see the duck. It reminds me of this guy:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.