Learning Japanese (Again)

Hello all! I have been struggling to get into reading Japanese for 20 years now, and various attempts (Slime Forest, Duolingo) didn’t quite do it for me. However, I really feel like WaniKani is much more engaging than past tools I’ve tried. I’m hoping that it’ll stick long-term and I’ll finally be able to read untranslated manga. I’m up to level 2 and doing my best with the multiple readings that each single kanji has.

I look forward to continuing my journey alongside all of you. :slight_smile:

20 Likes

I feel like have a community to engage with is always super benefical too! If you start to lose motivation come check the forums and talk with us! It’s always nice to be able to talk about your concerns, ideas, excitment, etc with people who share the same interests as you. Welcome to the community!

6 Likes

Welcome welcome!
Hope this page works for you, so you can get closer to your goal :+1::smile:

Just do the amount you feel works for you and stick to it, every single day. Smal steps or big leaps don’t matter much in the big picture, as long as you are working on being able to read Japanese manga :four_leaf_clover:

4 Likes

Welcome! I definitely recommend reading the example sentences in the vocabulary, if you’re not already doing so. It can take some time but I find I’m learning a lot by keeping at it.

2 Likes

welcome
Welcome welcome @kumamushi! I think you made a great decision in choosing WK.

I wish you all the best on your language journey and hope to see you around the various threads here.
:nerd_face::steam_locomotive:
keep chugging along! I believe in your ability to finally learn!

2 Likes

1 Like

Welcome! Best of luck to you :smiley:

3 Likes

Welcome!

I did the same thing you did. I messed around with Duolingo and a free Japanese app on my phone for a year or so before starting WK and it’s made a big difference so far. The only good thing I got out of that period was that I already knew hiragana and katakana.

Enjoy your stay! 頑張れ!

2 Likes

Thanks, everyone! :heart:

1 Like