NHK News Web Easy and Jisho.org furigana toggle bookmarklet

I dislike furigana as I always read it instead of trying to read the kanji beneath. I can roll over anything I don’t know with the rikaikun extension in Chrome so I’d prefer it off.

I do like the extension toggle posted by kaichi for Chrome but also like the simplicity of bookmarklets.

You can drag the top link from this page to your bookmark bar and then click on it to switch furigana on/off on both NHK and Jisho.org

If you’d like to add it to your bookmarks with an icon then download the HTML file from here and import to Chrome bookmarks via the Bookmark Manager. This is tested in Chrome. The bookmarklet should work in other browsers.

While I’m posting this stuff I also made a jisho.org lookup bookmarklet which is the 2nd link on this page - you can highlight text on the page and hit this to be taken to corresponding page on jisho.org.

The icon version of the same is here.

Please feel free to try, improve or suggest other sites where furigana could be toggled. I use these daily and they work for me - hopefully others will find them useful.

This exactly what I needed! The (edit: furigana) on NHK Easy always bothered me because I wasn’t challenged to recall the readings of words. Thanks for sharing!
I’m using Firefox btw and it works just fine

Heiopei said... This exactly what I needed! The Okurigana on NHK Easy always bothered me because I wasn't challenged to recall the readings of words. Thanks for sharing!
I'm using Firefox btw and it works just fine
You mean the furigana, right? 

Sounds good OP!