New People Questions! ~~~<3 [Lost?! Confused?! We're here to help!]

Or is it and ? :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Thank you, that was very thorough and totally clarified it for me.
Just out of curiosity and I don’t want to be rude, but why does your Kanji knowledge not match your Wanikani level?

Because he reset. Twice.

I confess I’m not too sure why he hasn’t moved much since the last reset, though…

3 Likes

Yeah, if you check my profile I’ve been a member since 2016 and I’ve been level 60 twice before, but many people also use this as a place to just hang out, so it’s normal for WK level and Japanese knowledge to be misaligned some.

1 Like

Ah! I see, that’s pretty cool to be able to refresh after completing a go-around. This is partly why I’ve decided to invest in the lifetime membership when it opens.
I have to admit it’s fun place to hang out, although also easy for someone like me to procrastinate. Okay ~Back to the reviews!

3 Likes

Does anyone know a userscript that auto plays audio in reviews (only found one for lessons so far)? I want it to behave like study-quiz.

Need another script to mark items within reviews as well, i’m pretty sure i saw a userscript like this before but forgot the name.

It’s actually built-in to the WK settings! just check the app settings and you should see it (:

1 Like

where should one post their study log? wanikani or campfire?

depends, whether you want it to be publicly available (wanikani) or for forum members only (campfire).

Also, in case you want to advertise it in your profile you have to use “public available” sections

I have a question! How does one get a little profile blurb to appear on their WaniKani Community Forum profile page? I see so many people with little descriptions about themselves but I don’t see the option of adding a profile description on this forum. I updated my profile on the actual WaniKani site, thinking that would update it here, but it didn’t. :expressionless:

You fill out your profile on the WaniKani main site! Or that should work, but maybe it needs to sync. You can force a sync by logging out and back in.

1 Like

Ahh, I didn’t think about logging out. Oops. Thank you, Saida! :sweat_smile: :purple_heart:

1 Like

how many lessons/reviews should i be doing per day?

For reviews it’s usually recommended to clear them all out before the end of the day. Due to how the SRS works, it’s usually most effective to do reviews at fixed times on a day, usually once in the morning, once in the afternoon, and once at the end of the day. Just find out how you can fit your daily reviews into your schedule, and stick to it. If you don’t do all your reviews on a day, they’ll just accumulate, so try to clear them out before the end of the day.

For lessons, it depends on how much of a workload you’re comfortable with. A lot of people will set a limit on the number of apprentice items they have and stop doing lessons once they go over it. Apprentice items make up the most of your workload, since they can come back after a couple of hours or a day, whereas the later stages take weeks before an item show up again, making them a lot less frequent. You’ll often see a limit of 100 apprentice items on the forum, so you could use that as a baseline. If it’s too high of a workload, then lower the count, if it’s too low of a workload, then increase the limit. The most important part is figuring out how many reviews per day you’re comfortable with doing.

4 Likes

Something that’s confused me is the levels they decide to introduce the numbered things. Like, I’m learning fifty and ten thousand at level three, but I can’t learn forty and other such numbers until later. Is it just a matter of spreading them out to avoid overwhelming? Or is there some other reasoning behind doing it this way?

@ashduck wani Kani isn’t really trying to teach you to speak japanese. It’s trying to teach you to read the Kanji. So they are starting with the simplest-looking kanji and building up to more complex ones. The vocab is really just there to help you learn all the readings.

1 Like

Why are the Kun’yomi reading prioritized for certain Kanjis and not others?
In level 4: Ear, flower, insect, say humbly, red, ice, village Kanjis are giving the kun’yomi readings right from the start.

1 Like

Their position on it is they try to teach you the most useful reading, in their estimation, in the kanji lesson. The onyomi of 耳 is じ, and really the only word that uses it which can be thought of as common is 耳鼻科 (じびか otolaryngology; ear, nose, and throat specialty). You can imagine, that’s not a beginner word, though maybe there’s still an argument that WaniKani could teach it since there’s some chance it would be useful to you in Japan.

Not all of the examples are that stark… you could make an argument for teaching 花’s onyomi earlier, etc… but in most of the ones you listed, the words that use those readings are just tougher words that get taught later and so they don’t teach you the onyomi right away.

In contrast, those tend to have a bunch of easy words that use the kunyomi early on.

4 Likes

Ah, That makes sense!
I knew there had to be a logical reason for it, It didn’t click until I realized town (on’yomi: chou) vs. village (kun’yomi: mura) readings were given. I suspected something like frequency use was in effect; but wanted to be totally sure and asked. Thank you Leebo for the clarification!

I’ve been seeing the village kanji so many times specifically in textbook example sentences. It’s nice to finally be able to read “Nakamura San” 's name now in full kanji without the furigana. Wanikani Rocks!

4 Likes

I don’t know if I’m posting this somewhere where any one will see or if this is the correct place but I’m confused and I wanted to ask somewhere. I started recently and finished level 3. I see that I need a sub to continue getting new lessons, but I’m still getting lots of reviews. I planned on starting a sub once I ran out of content but I guess the reviews never stop? All the stuff I’ve done so far will continuously come back in the reviews? Just want to make sure so I thought to ask somewhere but the forums are really confusing me. I see that this is the “New People Questions” thread at the top but I could not see where to post/reply. All the posts look like they’re from 2017 and I can’t find any new posts/replies or a button that even is meant to make a new post. I’m on mobile btw. Thanks (if anybody even sees this lol)

Edit: after posting this I see that I’m at the bottom where the new posts are suddenly so I guess that answers that but it was pretty confusing

1 Like