New People Questions! ~~~<3 [Lost?! Confused?! We're here to help!]

That’s unfortunate, thank you.

If you use of the third party apps (I know [Android] Flaming Durtles - Android app with offline support has this feature), you can see and add notes, and add and use custom synonyms from the lesson stage.

2 Likes

Review times are also rounded down to the beginning of the hour, so you won’t get new reviews every couple minutes. Instead, you’ll get (hopefully) a nice manageable chunk.

Does this mean that if I start a lesson at 12:22 PM, and finish at like 12:45 PM, that my review for this lesson will be at 2:00 PM?

**This is taking into consideration the accelerated learning time, wherein the first review for level 1 and 2 is only a two hour wait. That’s why it’s only two hours.

1 Like

Yes, exactly so.

2 Likes

Konnichiwa! New member here.

I am confused with level 2 kanji: ~才 (years old, age)
In my lingodeer studies, I’ve come across this kanji “歳” which is teaching me years old, age instead. Both are pronounced the same “sai” and was wondering if they are indeed one of the same and perhaps the first is a simplified version of the 2nd?

Also Kanji: 才 (sai) is the same as katakana: 才 (O) and I find it further confusing. How do you know when it’s referring to this or that?

才 did not originally mean years old, but it’s a simple kanji with the same reading, so it came to be used in place of the complex 歳 in some cases. It’s not an actual simplification of that kanji, just a convenient soundalike. This was commonly done through the history of kanji, but in this case both forms still get widely used. In serious contexts you should use 歳.

Many kana resemble or look identical to kanji, because they are simplified shapes borrowed from kanji. (口, くち and ロ, ろ) (工, こう and エ, え) You’re unlikely to ever mistake 才 and オ in a sentence, because they’ll be in context.

Edit: rereading my post, it sounded like I was suggesting the lookalike kana were borrowed from the mentioned kanji. Actually katakana ro comes from 呂 and katakana e comes from 江, IIRC

2 Likes

Also, they’re much more noticeably different than the other kanji/kana lookalikes. The diagonal stroke is in a different place.

cough cough 工 and エ cough cough

Or is it and ? :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Thank you, that was very thorough and totally clarified it for me.
Just out of curiosity and I don’t want to be rude, but why does your Kanji knowledge not match your Wanikani level?

Because he reset. Twice.

I confess I’m not too sure why he hasn’t moved much since the last reset, though…

1 Like

Yeah, if you check my profile I’ve been a member since 2016 and I’ve been level 60 twice before, but many people also use this as a place to just hang out, so it’s normal for WK level and Japanese knowledge to be misaligned some.

Ah! I see, that’s pretty cool to be able to refresh after completing a go-around. This is partly why I’ve decided to invest in the lifetime membership when it opens.
I have to admit it’s fun place to hang out, although also easy for someone like me to procrastinate. Okay ~Back to the reviews!

2 Likes