2 Apprentice 3 12h ~1d
3 Apprentice 4 1d 11h ~2d
4 Guru 1 3d 10h ~1w
5 Guru 2 1w 3d 9h ~2w
6 Master 3w 3d 8h ~1M
7 Enlightened 7w 5d 7h ~4M
8 Burned 24w 6d 6h -
3 Likes

I guessing that if i want to ask questions, i just reply.

So i read the tofugu learn japanese guide and i still can’t wrap my head on kanji.

First of all, the guide said that kanji are made from radicals and they gave a radical sheet, in the sheet there was words that are made up of other radicals so why are they on the sheet? It is because they are included as radicals or what?

Second thing is whats the difference between kanji and vocabulary? I thought kanji are pretty much words of the japanese language so why are they mentioning vocabulary differently than kanji?

1 Like

You might have to give some examples, or at least point directly to what you’re referring to so we can understand.

Kanji are a way to write words in Japanese. They express concepts, but they are not themselves words. Japanese existed as a language before they borrowed the way of writing via kanji from China.

It’s true that some words are written with only one kanji, but there’s still a separation between “the word” and “the kanji used to write the word.” Because you don’t need to write words with kanji if you don’t want to. You can use katakana or hiragana instead.

For instance, 水 is a kanji that represents the concept of water. It’s also used to write the Japanese word for water, which is みず (mizu) and in kanji みず is just written as 水.

But you can take that kanji and combine it with other kanji to make other words too. Like you can take the kanji that represents “wearing clothes” which is 着, to make 水着 (みずぎ, mizugi, bathing suit / swimwear).

The words みず and みずぎ can exist without being written in kanji as well. So does that clarify how kanji and vocabulary are different?

This is without even getting into the many words that can’t be written in kanji ever because they just have no associated kanji.

5 Likes

Is this where newbie ask question?if so i have some question here

You know radical ground and kanji one(いち)?

Both are like this (一)

How do you guys know which is ground and which is one?sometimes idk wether i should read it as いち or just like you read the ground radical,im really new at these kanji stuff

1 Like

During reviews you can look at the background color. It’s blue for radicals, pink for kanji and purple for vocabulary. It also asks for radical/kanji/vocabulary meaning on the prompt itself, so there are a few ways to differentiate what it’s asking for.

That being said, I have answered “one” to the radical myself sometimes. :grin:

2 Likes

The thing is,how to differentiate them when you reading a text?like a normal text,books or something,they literally looks same,length the same

You don’t encounter radicals while reading. Radicals are just the parts that make up kanji. There’s never a time when you see 一 in a text and should read it as ground; it always means one. The Wanikani devs named that radical “ground” because it makes for more memorable mnemonics for remembering the meaning of other kanji down the line.

3 Likes

The radicals are entirely there to help you learn the kanji, they don’t appear in texts on their own. Even kanji don’t really appear in a text on their own, they’re just part of vocabulary which is what you will encounter. However some vocabulary might just be the kanji by itself.

1 Like

You probably haven’t encountered many kanji that use the radicals in combination with other radicals yet. Yes, the ground radical and the いち kanji look identical, but most of the time you talk about the ground radical it’s going to be in other kanji. Like the bottom line of 昼 or the middle of 同. If you’re reading text and see 一 as a kanji, it’s “one.”

2 Likes

Is it normal that custom meaning notes aren’t showing up while doing lessons?

I’ve never used notes, so it’s hard for me to say for sure… but you do mean lessons and not reviews? I would imagine that lessons are designed with the idea that you’ve never seen the content before. Reviews are probably different.

2 Likes

Yep, meant lessons, reviews are working as expected.

The meaning notes field is there, it’s just empty even tho i have already written a note.

yes, that’s normal. Same with user synonyms. They’ll show up and be usable by the first review, but not in lessons.

2 Likes

That’s unfortunate, thank you.

If you use of the third party apps (I know [Android] Flaming Durtles - Android app with offline support has this feature), you can see and add notes, and add and use custom synonyms from the lesson stage.

2 Likes

Review times are also rounded down to the beginning of the hour, so you won’t get new reviews every couple minutes. Instead, you’ll get (hopefully) a nice manageable chunk.

Does this mean that if I start a lesson at 12:22 PM, and finish at like 12:45 PM, that my review for this lesson will be at 2:00 PM?

**This is taking into consideration the accelerated learning time, wherein the first review for level 1 and 2 is only a two hour wait. That’s why it’s only two hours.

1 Like

Yes, exactly so.

2 Likes

Konnichiwa! New member here.

I am confused with level 2 kanji: ~才 (years old, age)
In my lingodeer studies, I’ve come across this kanji “歳” which is teaching me years old, age instead. Both are pronounced the same “sai” and was wondering if they are indeed one of the same and perhaps the first is a simplified version of the 2nd?

Also Kanji: 才 (sai) is the same as katakana: 才 (O) and I find it further confusing. How do you know when it’s referring to this or that?

1 Like

才 did not originally mean years old, but it’s a simple kanji with the same reading, so it came to be used in place of the complex 歳 in some cases. It’s not an actual simplification of that kanji, just a convenient soundalike. This was commonly done through the history of kanji, but in this case both forms still get widely used. In serious contexts you should use 歳.

Many kana resemble or look identical to kanji, because they are simplified shapes borrowed from kanji. (口, くち and ロ, ろ) (工, こう and エ, え) You’re unlikely to ever mistake 才 and オ in a sentence, because they’ll be in context.

Edit: rereading my post, it sounded like I was suggesting the lookalike kana were borrowed from the mentioned kanji. Actually katakana ro comes from 呂 and katakana e comes from 江, IIRC

4 Likes

Also, they’re much more noticeably different than the other kanji/kana lookalikes. The diagonal stroke is in a different place.

1 Like