New People Questions! ~~~<3 [Lost?! Confused?! We're here to help!]

So, the reviews come back farther and farther apart until they’re pretty sure you won’t forget. Once you get an item to “guru” it unlocks more content and comes back less often. To finally “get rid” of an item (we call that burning it), you have to remember it without seeing it for 6 months! Subscribing is appropriate where you are, so you can get access to the new lessons, turn them into reviews, and lather, rinse, repeat.

Edit to clarify: Once everything you are reviewing at is at “guru” level, you’re pretty much out of content that’s new to you.

1 Like

You can see in the right side(a little scroll bar) that this post have 1988 replies from 2017 till your post. You can slide it or click at the bottom that say …ago to go straight to the newest reply.

And yes the reviews will keep coming until you burnt them. Which I can’t remember how long it takes, maybe a year? So, just sub if you like the website and learn new lessons along with the reviews.
Because, tbh, there’s no running out of contents here.

1 Like

Thanks for the answers. I’ll probably subscribe soon. I can see how it takes a substantial time commitment but I’ve been enjoying it and I’m not in a rush to learn so I’ll think about going for the lifetime sub, since there’s a sale now.

4 Likes

@_skyler Great timing! it’s a deal, because it usually takes 1.5-2 years to finish the program, even if you don’t take a 1 year break and have to start over… like me :sweat:

1 Like

And even then, post 60 you will have a while to go (15 months so far for me). And there might be a reason you want to reset as well in the future. And apart from all that, there is no monetary pressure to keep it going, and taking breaks is much less stressful.

3 Likes

How can I know my Guru’s and Apprentices… I wanna make sure what I did master and what I did not but there seems to be no way :confused:

The stats site probably? I’m sure someone has the most up-to-date link.

If so could anyone reply with link

here it is!

is there a way to only play audio in reviews after readings?

What do you mean? I believe this is the normal behaviour if you turn on autoplay audio in the app settings.

2 Likes

Reply 2000!Yay!

it will be read after the meaning as well if you already answered the reading correctly.

( I use the ultimate reorder script to have both (reading and meaning) directly after each other, so i have to listen to the same dialog twice.)

Do you maybe have another script installed that does this? Because that doesn’t happen for me…

2 Likes

Thank you.

Had wanikani audio tweak installed, should be fixed now.

1 Like

In Dragon Quest 3 (Snes version) I’ve actually seen the Kanji 才 being used in the meaning of years old. I guess that’s because of technical limitations and 歳 might look too squishy. Although the use a few other high stroke Kanji too.

They also wrote birthday as たんじょう日. I don’t complain, it makes me feel to good to know most of the Kanji they used.

… The ones I looked up turned out to often be ones I’m supposed to know… :see_no_evil:

Not too surprising, as you said, with the technical limitations. But even so, I probably wouldn’t classify game text as a “serious” context, so it wouldn’t surprise me to see it in a modern game.

That’s true. But it is my personal favorite context :grin:

Hey guys :smiley:
this might be quite a stuptid question, but whatever :sweat_smile:
I have been focusing a lot on Kanji way more than on vocab… and surely I am getting some difficutlys because a lot of vocab have a diffrent sound than just the kanji… And well I just thougth if I know the vocab I know the kanji, so maybe it is better to have my main focus on the vocab insted :grinning:
Or do you see any downside to it? thanks in advnaced

1 Like

The way I see it is that if you just read manga, news, play games, books etc. you will encounter the kanji you learn here in a vocabulary form, and in doing so learn them by just doing things you enjoy. Doing this will help you remember the various vocabulary easier than to just “focus” on one aspect or the other here on WK. :slight_smile:

As much as I love Wanikani I do only see it at a supplement to my main source of learning japanese which is through reading, listening and speaking. And atleast when I do that, remembering vocabulary comes naturally and a lot easier than to just remember words that pop up here from time to time (this helps too ofcourse).

A great website is satorireader.com, I highly recommend it for easy reading, and vocab learning.

1 Like