New People Questions! ~~~<3 [Lost?! Confused?! We're here to help!]

Wanikani is meant to be for beginners. It was basically the first resource i picked up and I haven’t had any trouble learning from it. A prerequisite for wanikani though is to know both hiragana and katakana. If you don’t know what those are, check out Tofugu’s guides on Hiragana and Katakana (made by the same people that made this website!)

As a side note, if you start now, then your school work will be a breeze since you already learned it!

2 Likes

I’ve already learned hiragana and katakana, but thank you! And thanks for the answer!

2 Likes

Hi everyone, I have a dumb question but I can’t figure it out:

If I “bookmark” a thread using the “bookmark” button on the bottom of a particular topic (below the last reply), what does that do? I clicked on it for a particular post (I’m trying to keep my eye on an absolute beginner book club), but I can’t seem to access that post except for by searching for it using the magnifying glass at the top and typing “absolute beginner book club”.

Sorry, I feel like I should be able to figure this out on my own, but I’m stuck.

If you click on your profile picture in the top right, you can find all your past bookmarks.
If you want to get notified when someone replies to a thread you’re interested in, you can set it to “Watching” by clicking on the bubble below the last reply:

2 Likes

:smile: thank you!

Facing problem in android app as well as computer browser.
When I enter answer, it doesn’t show whether it is correct or wrong.
Instead it shows message “Wanikani is looking for the on’yomi reading”.

That’s because it’s not right or wrong. ひと is a reading for the kanji 人 but it’s not the one it’s looking for. So it doesn’t mark you wrong, but it wants you to put something else in (にん or じん). Delete your text and put something else in.

ひとis the kunyomi reading.

1 Like

Got it thanks!. But I feel any wrong input should be considered as wrong answer and proceed to next kanji. I had entered wrong answer but there was no way to go to the next review kanji.

It’s not wrong though, that’s the thing. If you can’t remember the other reading, you can always just enter some kind of nonsense into the field to be sure that you’re entering something wrong, if you don’t want to guess.

Finishing up my stacked level 2 lessons… learning “Princess” as 王女, I have seen princess written elsewhere as 姫. Is there some difference I’m not at a high enough level to understanding yet? Or can there be different vocabulary for the same word?

The word ひめ is a word of Japanese origin that effectively means “a noble person’s daughter.” This is often going to be translated as a princess, but it doesn’t actually have to be someone who has a direct line to a monarch or anything.

The word 王女おうじょ is more explicitly “the daughter of a king.” It comes from Chinese, just like the word おう.

So both can be translated as princess. An 王女 is always a 姫, but a 姫 is not necessarily an 王女.

Those are the origins of the words anyway.

This is of course also true. Just as in English, where we have many very similar words for various concepts.

11 Likes

Thank you very much for clearing up the confusion! I appreciate it!

1 Like

Hi! Just wanna say hello for the user checklist!

1 Like

Hello hello, welcome!

The checklist is a remnant of the old forums, so it won’t actually check off, I’m afraid. It will go away on its own when you reach level 2. ^^

But it still served the purpose of tricking you to come say hi. :wave: :wink:

Welcome again!

3 Likes

Hi, and welcome!

こんにちは!

How long on average does one person stay at level 1? And when you reach higher levels, the time you spend on each is longer? Or it is not related?

ありがとう in advance!

1 Like

In order to advance to the next level, you must get 90% of your current level’s kanji to the Guru SRS level, which occurs after four correct reviews. Provided you’re able to keep up with the total number of reviews available, your level-up speed is independent of the level that you’re on - with the caveat that certain specific levels take less time, for reasons.

For most levels, the minimum possible level-up time is six days and twenty hours, though maintaining this speed will require you to wake up at 3am for a review session at least once a week. Levels 1 and 2 are faster, though, as a way of getting you into the flow of things more quickly.

4 Likes

I’ve been on this level for about 2 years…

4 Likes

So this might be a stupid question, but I’ve been wondering. I’m at lvl 5 now and have learnt “a lot” of kanji, but it’s still hard to understand the sentences I read, because I don’t know how to translate the は, の and ですs, (Were to put them and which to use, I understand the general meaning but want to know fully). Will that arrive on a later lvl or when do I get to learn it? Is it something I’ll have to look up myself and where can I do that?

Thanks in advance!

You’re referring to grammar, basically. WaniKani won’t teach any grammar in the sense you’re describing. They will mention things like parts of speech and transitivity of verbs, but they won’t teach any of the basics you need to understand a full sentence.

There are dedicated online grammar resources, like Tae Kim, and textbooks, like Genki or Minna no Nihongo, and video series on Youtube and whatnot, which you can use to learn grammar.

4 Likes