New People Questions! ~~~<3 [Lost?! Confused?! We're here to help!]

Edited right as you posted :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

That’s an interesting idea. I’ve reached a point where I know the kanji very well on about 20 vocab words that I just can’t for the life of me remember the transitivity. Perhaps reinforcing it via typing transitive or intransitive would help to cement them? Cause “to be” or “not to be” just isn’t sticking.

1 Like

I think maybe typing the whole word would be bothersome (and potentially too close to eachother to be caught by spellcheck if you get it wrong), so I would add in/trans/tadou/jidou/ta/ji to be sure to actually keep them separate.

But I did a similar thing with 心底, where the meaning was no problem, but I kept wanting to add rendaku. I added ‘no rendaku’ and ‘ssssss’ as user synonyms.

And then there’s 続く/続ける, in which they not only forget to do it, but they clean forget that they even have done it, because the meaning mnemonic literally reads “Unfortunately, there’s no good way to differentiate the two “continues” using just the meaning”.

2 Likes

Hi there!
I am a bit lost in the community!
Is there also an app version of Wanikani?
Or can we only access from browser?

Welcome! There is no official app, but there are some good apps made by other users of the platform. Flaming Durtles for android, and Tsurukame for apple seem to be the most popular. There is also Jakeipuu, that came up recently. You can find more info in The New And Improved List Of API and Third Party Apps.

2 Likes

I can pretty heartily recommend Flaming Durtles. 95% of my usage is on my laptop, but FD very nicely fills in those gaps and helps me keep the review pile down when I’m away from my desk. It is very well designed.

Hello, little question for UK users:

I’m ready to take the plunge and spend my pwecious money on WK. On the subscription page, it says that banks that don’t deal with USD as the primary currency might incur conversion and transactional fees on top of the subscription cost.

Can any UK premium user give me an idea/number of what is charged in british pounds? :eyes:

1 Like

Not a UK user, but maybe you can go through sign up process and you’ll get the real amount before confirming payment?

2 Likes

Isn’t that usually dependent on your bank’s transaction conversion rate? They’re usually a bit more liberal with their conversion rates though.
Maybe inform with them?
But @Saida’s tip also most likely will work.

Also pro-tip, there will soon be a 33% lifetime sale. (around mid December)
If you buy a year subscription now, when you buy the lifetime later, the remaining year’s costs will be deducted from those costs.

Example: A year is about 90 dollars, if you were to have bought your year subscription 4 months before buying lifetime, you’ll get a 90*8/12 = 60 dollar discount on the lifetime subscription as well.

4 Likes

Ohhh, hadn’t thought of that :woman_facepalming:t2: Thanks! :joy::hugs:

@Pep95 yes! I’ve read about the sales they do around the end of the year. Unfortunately, I don’t have the finances for it this year, but will definitely reconsider next year :crazy_face::money_with_wings:

2 Likes

こんにちは!I’m new and still figuring this all out but I’ve hit the same snag a few times and it’s a smidge frustrating. It’s this:

‘To input’ isn’t accepted as correct but ‘input’ is. This also happened to me with ‘to enter’ and ‘enter’. Given the example is ‘inputting’, surely 'to input’ is still correct. I would argue that ‘input’ could be considered a noun rather than a verb - or am I overthinking it?

The example isn’t inputting though, it’s input. See how only the input section of the word inputting is highlighted in the example? This is a noun, not a verb. What goes in here? The input does.

1 Like

Perhaps the term する verb is throwing you off? This is a noun. Period. But it can become a verb by adding する. 入力する. Not all nouns can do that, which is why they mention it. But in this form “to input” is different.

2 Likes

That might be where I’m getting confused. I’m remembering ‘inputting information’ and so answer ‘to input’. Still getting used to the system. Thank you!

1 Like

That makes sense. I’m still getting used to how WK works so I think it’s just a terminology thing for me to get my head around. Thank you!

1 Like

Not quite new anymore, but still.

Back again after quite some time (half a year to 9 months?) with another reset, this time from 25 to 15, compared to 15 to 1 last time.
I’m slowly improving, I guess. I’ve retained most ‘easier’ kanji, but am starting to confuse some of the similar ones, which wasn’t the case before my break. So far sitting at 85% correct after half of my 1000 burnable items.

3 Likes

Not bad after not seeing them for half a year! Good luck!

1 Like

I don’t remember the exact amount, but for my yearly amount the transaction fee from my bank is less than a pound. Depends on the bank though, I guess?

3 Likes

Thank you! :hugs:

2 Likes