New People Questions! ~~~<3 [Lost?! Confused?! We're here to help!]

In the kanji lesson (the pink item) you are taught just one reading. For 山, you learn the onyomi, which is さん.

In the vocab lesson (the purple item) you are taught the reading for when the item appears as a word. For 山, it is read やま, the kunyomi, when it is a word in a sentence.

For instance, これは山です is これはやまです.

But the onyomi will appear in compounds. For instance, ふじ山 (Mount Fuji)

So, これはふじ山です would be これはふじさんです.

You’ll get the hang of it as you go.

4 Likes

So I’ve been trying to figure out for a few weeks on how to get an avatar… :sweat_smile:

When I try to do it in my profile page it sends me to another site, which then tells me to get an account on wordpress.
I swear I remember there was an option to just upload an avatar to just WaniKani when I first created my account?
Or is the only way to get one is to go through the whole deal of making a wordpress account etc.?

Capture
Go to your profile preferences, click the little editing icon next to your avatar, choose the third option in this box.

1 Like

Thanks!
Figured it out thanks to you. :slight_smile:

I was looking in the WK dashboard account settings and not the preferences over here… :expressionless:

1 Like

Doesn’t work. I’ve tried it, followed all of the instructions, and no font changes. I’ve put in the code into tampermonkey and it verifies that it is jitai’s code, but nothing works. I installed the code, installed all of the fonts, but I’ve had no success getting changes in font. Not sure what the deal is.

1 Like

I’m no script expert by any means, I’m afraid.

If Jitai uses WK Open Framework, make sure that WKOF is in the number 1 spot on your TamperMonkey dashboard.

The only other problem I can readily think of if you followed all the install instructions is this mention in the Jitai thread: Whoops, wasn’t paying attention for a moment.

Did you download fonts for the script to use in randomization?

If it’s none of that, I would have no idea, and I think you’d be best off commenting in the Jitai thread and getting help from the script developer. ^^

Good luck getting to going!

All good, I’ll figure it out eventually. Thank you!

Do I have to go through the checklist in order to get kanji unlocks?

Where do I pay to get an account that gets me more than 3 lessons?

Looking at your profile I can see that you’ve guru’ed all 26 radicals from level one, which means that you should have more than 3 kanji lessons. All the content in levels 1-3 is free, and the checklist isn’t connected to anything, so that’s not what’s holding you back.

Do you guys think there’s a bug with Calg’s account?

Check again to see if you have more lessons; if not, then you maybe should email hello@wanikani.com to have them take a look.

1 Like

Thank you for replying, I took the time to look through the FAQ, and figured things out. I was just kinda frustrated that I was learning the same radicals for the last few days and thinking that I was missing something. That’s what I get for not reading. No bugs!

:slight_smile:

4 Likes

Heyo!

How do you get a graph like this? This is an example that I’ve shamelessly stolen from some thread btw :^)

@okappa Check this thread :slight_smile:

There’s a more recent version of this website being tested (it uses API version 2). You can check it out here :slight_smile:

https://www.wkstats.com:10001/login

1 Like

so it’s from the first version of wkstats? got it, thank you

1 Like

The first version (that you can find on the first link) works well. The 2nd version has more updated data and can deal with certain situations better (for example, resetting the level would be a mess on version 1). Both work very well in normal circumstances and you can find that graphic in both :slight_smile:

1 Like

So I’m new-ish to WaniKani. I just started around 11/6 or so to actually get into this, though it appears I signed up back in 2017 as my stats are now showing it has taken me 1041 days to get through level one. My question is, now that I’m at level 3 is there a point in me resetting to level one so that my levels aren’t off or just keep going as if I reset it won’t be accurate on how long I spent on levels 2 & 3 now since I will likely go through them faster a second time through. Opinions, thoughts, recommendations?

Honestly, it doesn’t matter how long any particular level took you, so if you know that you’re going to continue, i would just do so (watch out for the sale on lifetime around Christmas).

1 Like

Thanks for your reply. Yes, I plan to jump on the sale when it comes up. I figure I can work on trying to burn the first three levels while I wait. I just figured since I was waiting on the sale to move past 3 I would have time to reset if it was recommended. :upside_down_face:

Btw, the subscriptions on WK are prorated :slight_smile: This means that if you were to subscribe for yearly and then the lifetime sale came, the price (with the promotion) of the lifetime would be reduced taking into consideration how much of the yearly sub you had yet to use. Being the promotion to $200 on lifetime, it would cost you around $120 instead.

Not sure if I expressed myself clearly enough :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I figure with me still having several days (at least) left on level 3 and the holidays and such coming up, it’ll time about right for me to just wait for the sale. But thanks for the tip. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

[quote=“Ornantius, post:1505, topic:16421”]watch for
sale on lifetime around Christmas
[/quote]
What would be a good way I can make sure I don’t miss that sale? I wouldn’t want to constantly look around in the forum.

1 Like