New People Questions! ~~~<3 [Lost?! Confused?! We're here to help!]

https://community.wanikani.com/t/cant-figure-out-my-mistake/11961/10?u=tip

1 Like

You must have input niyuu. Inputting nyuu is the correct one. It uses a small ゆ :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks @Roxanne13579 and @tip I got it now :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi, i am new, level 1.
I like the progression system, but i really struggle to understand what is the “vocabulary reading” ?
For example mountain is san, but is also yama ? It must be simple but i just don’t get it sorry.
Same thing for power, i learned power = riki, but sometimes it is chikara? when?
Did i miss something, am i stupid, or the website lacks of explanations and examples ?

Also, the lack of context gives sometimes the feeling of learning useless words.
Why not include the words in sentences when doing quizz ? Even if we don’t understand all the words, it would help to learn grammar indirectly, and it would be more rewarding.

Thanks a lot.
ps:english is not my native language, sorry for mistakes.

Kanji can have more than one reading, which are used in different vocabulary words. When the word is just one kanji, it’s always the Kun-yomi. For 山 this is やま. In words with more than one kanji it can be any reading, for example 山火事やまかじ and 沢山たくさん

1 Like

Welcome!

Coincidentally, this thread literally just came up in my notifications - did that happen because you were reading it?

1 Like

Thanks for your quick reply !
It seems quite simple indeed.

Belthazar : no i didn’t read that thread, but i will now :slight_smile:

When wanikani is teaching you a Kanji (red background), it’s about what this kanji means and one or more readings that are useful. These can both be on’yomi or kun’yomi readings, though usually it’s the former. The reason is that japanese is not consistent and for some kanji you will basically never see one of the readings in the wild (and if you do, it’s probably with furigana). Wanikani will focus on the useful ones.

When Wanikani is teaching you a vocabulary (in purple), this is one or more kanji + some Kana. This can be both on’yomi (usually compound kanji) or kun’yomi (usually kanji+kana). Vocabulary is actually how you will encounter the red Kanji in Japanese text, so studying the purple vocabulary is the most important part of doing wanikani, because if you only know the kanji readings (red), you can never be quite sure how to read anything really.

Some people here use scripts so they can level up faster, skipping out on vocabulary reviews and focusing on kanji, but in my opinion that will have the opposite effect - you will acquire and learn actual vocabulary at a much slower rate.

3 Likes

2 Likes

Feel free to correct me! Uhh pink?

Pink

1 Like

It’s quite reddish though, isn’t it?

2 Likes

No, not at all…

2 Likes

It’s funny though, I regularly get into arguments with my girlfriend about what color something is. Maybe my brain is a bit weirdly wired.

1 Like

Maybe your display is set wrong, or maybe you should see a doctor 248874616142036992

2 Likes

Magenta. :slightly_smiling_face:

5 Likes

Possibly fuschia

2 Likes

*fuchsia. (english is stupid)

1 Like

Google reigns supreme yet again

10 Likes

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
I’m not even German!

3 Likes