New Here - Any tips?

Hey, I’m new to this website. Can you guys give me some advice on learning Japanese? I just started :slight_smile:

What’s the best place to learn grammar from? Right now my Japanese study consists of WaniKani, Reading a light novel in japanese (learning vocab and kanji as I go), and watching anime.

1 Like

Hi, welcome. :slight_smile:

Reading a light novel will not be a productive use of your time if you’re just starting to learn Japanese.

Regarding your question about grammar, you can try Genki or Japanese From Zero if you like physical books with exercises. For online resources, there’s Tae Kim and imabi.net. You can also use bunpro.jp to review grammar via SRS like you do on WaniKani. But I’d highly recommend you still use a textbook alongside it, and don’t solely rely on Bunpro.

Here’s a fairly comprehensive list of resources that you can use for grammar and a lot more.

1 Like

こんにちは, @ericky14! :sparkles:

Welcome! In this realm, you will find life forms that seek to reach the point beyond kanji enlightenment (The Burning of Turtles). Worshippers of the Crabigator come in all forms - lovely humans, mythical creatures, the brightest and most colorful fruits, vegetables to feed your soul, a poll option you should always choose… and even bittersweet chocolate disguised as めっちゃウザイ little pods.

Now, here’s what you need to know:

1. The WaniKani FAQ which gives you the 101 on
    a) Before You Join
    b) Common First-Level Problems
    c) The Basics
    d) Learning Method
    e) Account
    f) Sect Names Other :durtle_officer::durtle_stabby::durtle_officer:

2. The WaniKani Guide (…also known as “how I learned to learn ~2,000 kanji.”)

3. The Unofficial FAQ that further addresses specific questions on how lessons and reviews work.

4. The Ultimate Additional Japanese Resources List! which is a long and thorough list of Japanese resources that the community has worked hard to gather together and is consistently being updated.

5. The New And Improved List Of API and Third Party Apps that enhances your learning experience with WaniKani.

6. WK Stats to check your accuracy, progress, projections and more.

7. And finally, the Community Guidelines that will help you better interact with all of us.

See you around! If you have any questions, just ask. We don’t bite much. :sparkles:

Thank you very much for the advice. I’ll try those resources

Thanks!!!

My favorite trifecta for basic grammar is Japanese the Manga Way, A Dictionary of Basic Japanese Grammar, and Making Sense of Japanese: What the Textbooks Don’t Tell You.

None of those books have any exercises so success with them assumes you’re good at developing your own practice curriculum to drill the concepts in. It worked fine for me but I’m old enough to have learned how to learn. If you prefer a more structured approach with extra guidance then replace Japanese the Manga Way with Genki I + II plus its workbooks.

I’m currently using these three:
Wanikani mainly to learn pronunciation and vocabulary.
The KanjiStudy app to review meaning and writing.
DuoLingo for grammar and sentence writing.

My favorite trifecta for basic grammar is Japanese the Manga Way , A Dictionary of Basic Japanese Grammar , and Making Sense of Japanese: What the Textbooks Don’t Tell You .

None of those books have any exercises so success with them assumes you’re good at developing your own practice curriculum to drill the concepts in. It worked fine for me but I’m old enough to have learned how to learn. If you prefer a more structured approach with extra guidance then replace Japanese the Manga Way with Genki I + II plus its workbooks.

I’m a bit sour on Genki, and have been for a while, so it’s always nice to see other resources I can suggest to beginners instead of just being like, “Well, you’ll have to unlearn some of this later, but it’s the best there is, so bite the bullet.”

Lack of accompanying practice/quiz material can be off-putting for a lot of learners, though. I know it is for me, personally, when I’m actively learning brand-new material rather than just listening/reading for exposure.

Are there any good practice/workbook-centered materials that have come out in the years since I completed Genki, or is that still unfortunately the best starter material out there if you want that?

Re: OP: No matter what you go with, make sure you’re getting structured grammar-learning in somewhere! Japanese shares virtually no structural logic with English, so you can’t get by on vocab alone.

You guys are all so helpful :slight_smile:

Welcome to the party!

Try and setup some time everyday to knock out your reviews. The lessons control how fast you go, if you’re feeling overwhelmed relax on the lessons and things will naturally slow down.

Welcome to Wanikani (run while you can)

This is the best advice about Wanikani, emphasis on the bit where he talks about scheduling.

And this is the greatest thing that has ever happened to me in my Japanese learning journey, it is a Godsend and a blessing. Though I would advise starting with a book instead of jumping into Bunpro as a total beginner.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.