New Combined User Statistics!

Hmm, it seems to not have any secondary meaning.

Correction: it does except it as a hidden meaning:

1 Like

Your “Regulars” graph seems off – it has 27 people on it if I count right, which is ~20 fewer than the actual total according to the forum…

1 Like

That’s a lot of stats, great work! :grin: 16 hours of querying is a long wait though. I remember when I last queried the number of likes each user gave/received and that (only) took 5 hours. The rate limit for the main site must be a lot worse than the forum’s :grin:

2 Likes

There are about 20 staff accounts which don’t have a level, but do show up as Regular. I’ll have to count to make sure but I think the stats are correct if you exclude those.

3 Likes

Maybe you ran the stats on data collected before I got to regular then, because I’m definitely not on that chart :wink:

1 Like

This is Epic, saraqael. Thank you.
God knows I recognise those ‘kanji people get stuck on’ all too well. I think all my failures could be skewing your graph :slight_smile:

1 Like

I have excluded every user that I can’t get the level from because I wouldn’t know where to put them on the chart. And because I can only look at the forum data everyone who has disabled showing their level is excluded also. Sorry! :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Oh well :slight_smile: (I was mostly interested in how many people are here for the forums and basically ignoring WK proper.)

3 Likes

I feel quite vindicated seeing many of the things I struggle with listed here.

2 Likes

Speaking from experience: there have been people posting their celebratory lvl 60 post while showing as lvl 59 on the forum because their badge wasn’t synched up yet (and still isn’t). There are probably a few of those in your data set.

3 Likes

I just made your regular chart outdated by leveling up. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Also not sure everyone knows me, lol. xD

Nice work! :+1:

6 Likes

Yeah, right? Me too. I always thought I was the only one struggling with some of these particular items but it seems that we’re all in the same boat here!

Oof. That’s a possibility. It would explain why the level 59ers have more items on average than the level 60ers. Well, there’s bound to be some issues when you’re getting your data through a middle man :person_shrugging:

:angry:

I always see you around the forums! Great to have you here as well :smile:

4 Likes

What I took from this is that 午 & 生 are cursed.

3 Likes

:eyes: :eyes: :eyes: I feel attacked :joy:
For anyone keeping score at home, my current time on level 59 is now 1435 days

As the oldest/longest surviving Regular and a perpetual Level 59-er, this also made me chuckle :joy:

5 Likes

Huh, I’m surprised that 生 is a constant struggle for people for so long. I don’t think I’ve ever struggled with the word.

2 Likes

Surprised me too because it’s literally one of the first characters I ever learned, but I am a former boozed-up Nova teacher. 生ビールピッチャー お願いします!

2 Likes

So it doesn’t look like ‘noon’ to you? I suppose, in context, confusing cows and noon isn’t often an issue.

1 Like

生 this one is actually “raw” (made from the kanji for “life”). “Noon” is this one: 午. And, this is “cow”: 牛. A lot of similar looking kanji when you don’t have context. But yeah, as you said they are all very different in meaning so you’d mostly be able to distinguish them easily from context. Personally, I also didn’t have any longer-lasting problems with it :person_shrugging:

2 Likes

I had quite a hard time with that one back then. I know “nama” because of “nama chocolate”, but when seeing 生, I automatically thought of “life” instead. So it took a while for me to establish the connection between 生 = “fresh/raw” = なま

1 Like

I keep mixing up kanji that differ by the left radical, like 挑 and 桃 or 媒 and 謀. Probably karma for completely ignoring radicals and mnemonics. Usually I solve it by just putting them side by side and checking the left radical once and for all.

7 Likes