Need help with yet another example sentence

First off, just as a reminder, か can also be used as “or”. Although, now that I think about it, it might have to do with か being a question marker. Not sure…

I think it would be best, for crunching purposes, to view them as three separate basic grammar points rather than one large one. まるで meaning as if. か being a question indicator that doesn’t necessarily have to be at the end of a sentence, and のように being similar to. Two of those means “like” and the middle one in the grammar point discussed above (か) being a question marker. With this in mind, viewing it as just one big “like” statement should be sufficient if I’m not mistaken.

I dont know if I agree with that. Viewing か as a question marker in this case and のように as its own thing doesn’t really make sense compared to the actual meaning of the sentence. The only question in this sentence is at the end. I feel like seeing か as a modifier of のように making it “add more doubt and more of a “contradictory to the facts” feeling.” as syphus said, is more accurate.

My mistake, I should have been more specific. When I meant view it as a question marker, I didn’t mean a literal question. I meant it in the way you are saying. Something that adds doubt. Kind of like a “huh” at the end of an English sentence. While huh can sometimes be a question, it can also give the statement a feeling of doubt. That was my mistake.

Yea I think that’s close enough.

1 Like

Going to bump this thread because I am at yet another loss. I’ve googled this one, as usual, but still found nothing. I asked my japanese friend and she said it was a really difficult concept that she didn’t know how to explain. You guys are my last resort.

The question itself is pretty simple. Why is there a よう sandwiched between a 辞書形 verb and another one on the right (I assume the conjugation on the right one doesn’t matter).

Sentence A (from an example sentence):
彼に金を返すよう迫ったが、逃げられてしまった。

Sentence B (from a book):
すぐに来るよう申してもらいましょう

All the topics I have found online are just for のよう、のように、かのように、かのような and so on. If you have a resource on this topic, please link me. Am I just missing something obvious?

Related?

1 Like

or “よう” is used in the sense of such instructions or request.

This sort of clears it up, yeah. The fact that its related to the other things and not its own thing explains why I couldn’t find anything on it.

The link in your link to maggies thing has a part that I think applies to this. I overlooked it because it had the に at the end and none of her example sentences were like these, but reading your link makes me think it still applies.

★verb (→the result you hope, your goal) ように ( = youni) + verb (what to do/what you did/ to hope, to wish)

So in the first sentence, the result he hopes for is 金を返す and what they did is 迫った. That works.

Second one that kinda works as すぐに来る is the hoped for result and 申してもらいましょう is what they did (ordering someone). Since orders are included under the same thing for maggies post I would assume this is the actual reason for the よう for both. Unless someone can prove this wrong, I’m pretty content with this. Thanks man.

My only question is just if there is a specific rule for when you dont have to use the に after the よう.

That’s not really an easy answer. But I’d say it’s better to accept that these usages would also be fine with に inserted.

Moushi moushi bump desu.

日本の若者はすぐ単語やフレーズを略したがる。
Young Japanese people tend to abbreviate words and phrases.

An example sentence on here. Can someone explain what the すぐ does? Is it acting like an adverb saying the young japanese are quick to want to abbreviate things? This is the only explanation I could find on google, but I have never seen it used like that before.

Yeah I think that’s correct. The provided translation is more of an interpretation

The breakdown would be like:

日本の若者は - japanese youth
すぐ - immediately
単語やフレーズを - words and phrases
略したがる - want to abbreviate

and the literal translation would be: “Japanese youth immediately want to abbreviate words and phrases”, which could be interpreted as what they “tend” to do

Not even an example sentence, but I’m edgy so I dont care.

Anyone got ideas for what the 抱え直す at the end of the sentence is all about? Is it the continuative for 抱え and then the definition for 直す that means “to put back as it was” as in she put the case back to being held on/under her arms?

Just proceeded to see if I got a hint as to what it meant, and yeah. Looks like its her lifting the case up, but I still don’t understand why its written as 抱え直す

直す as an auxiliary verb just means to do something again. So she was holding it before, and now she’ll hold it again.

1 Like

So any verb in the continuative/masu stem form +直す means to do that again? 食べ直す = to eat again, 走り直す = to run again, and so on?

Generally it’s like a do-over, though so 食べ直す sounds a little gross. You already ate it before, and now you’re going to eat it again? However you want to imagine that, it’s not pleasant, haha.

2 Likes

Oh trust me, I’m sure it’ll come up if I ever talk about my dogs in japanese lol.

1 Like

Haha, I see.

Most commonly, I see やり直す (literally do-over) and かけ直す (to call someone back). But it can be used for other things where you did something already and you’re going to do it again. You closed the door and the wind blew it open, 閉め直す. You washed the dishes but they didn’t get clean enough, 洗い直す, etc.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.