Most recent Japanese word you've learned?

優越感 ゆうえつかん superiority complex

Learned this from a nihongonomori N2 kanji video. Highly recommend watching them! The way teach kanji is similar to WK but entirely in Japanese.

Spent most of the day studying and also learned:

口癖 くちぐせ way of saying, favorite saying (idk what would be the best translation)
地雷 じらい landmine
香水 こうすい perfume

1 Like

やけ食い (やけぐい) - stress eating :durtle_the_explorer:

com-resize%20(8)

13 Likes

きらきら - sparkle onomatopoeia - it was an example sentence under the 光る on Wani Kani.

星がきらきら光っている!

鼎 (かなえ a style of three-legged pot used in ancient China)

I was browsing Kanjipedia and thought this just looked like a cool kanji so I checked out the page.

1 Like

可算名詞(かさんめいし) or just 可算(かさん)、which means “countable noun” and “countable” respectively. I’m an English teacher and needed to ask another teacher something, and I remembered that he had used it in class the other day so I looked it up.

Mine’s 揃う (そろう), which means to gather or to assemble. I play the Pro Yakyuu Spirits 2012 video game, and the manager says that to gather the players to announce the starting lineup. I keep accidentally pronouncing it サボる instead, which is to skip class or to be truant, which gives the sentence a much sillier meaning in context of a baseball video game.

1 Like

regarding to learned and understood, i’d say one of my recent learned words are 日 and 月. sun and moon. ひ and つき. day and month. it’s refreshing to see how logical japanese can be.

2 Likes

引き継ぎ- ひきつぎ

Handing over your tasks to someone else, like when you’ve been working for six days in a row and you want to hang out with your girlfriend and so you give your coworkers all the information they need to do things by themselves but they still bother you on your day off anyway…

1 Like

様変わり・さまがわり・changing completely

手袋(てぶくろ)I thought it means handbag as it is in Chinese but it’s bag for hands = glove, mitten. Japanese is so cute !

2 Likes

Similarly, I like how socks are 靴下(くつした). So literal!

It’s 下痢.
It means diarrhea​ and I had to learn it cos it’s N1 vocab. Epic.

I learned 下痢 when I wasn’t even N5 from Genki 1 (it’s in lesson 12 in the “Useful Expressions” section).

My most recent word is おなら (屁) - fart - from the first-grader’s “どうして?なぜ?” book I’m trying to read.

標準語 from a Japanese friend of mine.
“Standard Language” (like what people in Tokyo speak)

1 Like

空気を読む - read the atmosphere meaning read between the lines, take a hint, go with the flow.

Not exactly a word but just saw this in an interview with 山中瑤子, writer and director of “Amiko”. She was saying how much she dislikes Japan. I want to watch this film !

Takashi Muarkami 村上隆 ’sart - 奇奇怪怪(ききかいかい) meaning weird, mysterious, very strange, bizarre.

2 Likes

大人買い [おとながい]
as an adult, buying a large amount of items you couldn’t afford as a child (esp. of collectible items aimed at kids, such as manga)

This is me. I came across this word while searching for an adjective that best fits “not childish”.

4 Likes

歯がゆい - impatient; irritated; vexed​

I love that it seems to literally mean “itchy teeth”

Learned from: This guy’s latest column in 週刊プロレス

3 Likes

When I was young and was just starting to watch anime i ran across “K-ON”
i used to try to learn japanese from the romaji karaoke in the OPs and EDs of anime

So, K-ON first ED is called “Don’t say lazy” and that’s where I first heard this word
isshoukenmei
Now… like 10 years and 40 levels later i finally found its kanji. i’m moved :')

2 Likes

Yesterday, when talking about the real possibility of the Critical Period Hypothesis on foreign language learning in its entirety… 臨界期 (りんかいき) is how you say “critical period” as it refers to the period in which it is easiest to learn things/ need to learn them or you never will…

about the 臨界期

1 Like