Most recent Japanese word you've learned?

Sorry, I knew the concept of what was happening - I was just wondering what the Japanese term for orthographic borrowing was, but now I know the English term I can probably look it up :stuck_out_tongue: Thank you!

1 Like

早牛はやうし - fast cow

Do with this information what you will.

6 Likes

*Looks at kanji “…Fast cow?” *Looks at definition “Well okay then.”

5 Likes

This word thanks to the Nijisanji cover of Memeshikute by Golden Bomber

Jisho also has 早牛も淀、遅牛も淀 as an expression, so one wonders if 早牛 is used as a synecdoche.

4 Likes

Lmao, most recent English word I’ve learned

6 Likes

ヤモリ - gecko; house lizard

It can be written 家守(やもり) as well as 守宮(やもり). Somehow, protection can be on either sides.

1 Like

Seems like it’s appeared twice already in this thread, but it’s the first time I’ve come across it so here:

矍鑠かくしゃく - vigorous (in old age); hale and hearty

I’ll quote Kalas on the fun fact:

5 Likes

I haven’t run across this one before, but whenever I find words with unusual kanji, I like to look them up on Kanjipedia (if it doesn’t show up there, then it’s not on any of the Kanken tests) to get more context. In the case of , there appears to be the word 矍視, and for , there is 鑠金 as well as 鑠かす, which shows up in the idiom 衆口金を鑠かす. Now these are likely very very obscure words, but they could show up in older literature.

5 Likes

にしき, meaning ‘brocade’. Miraculously, I already knew what brocade was thanks to Final Fantasy 14. And they said video games wouldn’t get me anywhere!

4 Likes

Ayyyy I brought you here!

2 Likes

Your credentials as a tutor are proven this day :relieved:

1 Like

Out here trying to earn my mentor crown as a SCH

1 Like

十年一昔(じゅうねんひとむかし)

Though it’s practically not even in 10 years in context, in this digital era.

Also it can be counted 二昔(ふたむかし)

These new Tracy Chapman covers are getting ridiculous