Most recent Japanese word you've learned?

I know you’re just joking, but if anyone was curious, the × means that the kanji that follows is not in the jouyou set.

8 Likes

Cow x Frog?!?
:flushed:
I have been in the JoJo fandom long enough to realize that someone may take this cursed idea and run with it

Sorry to burst your bubble, but a good portion of my life, I’ve lived by swamps and therefore have heard quite a few frogs over the years. ウシガエル are supposed to be American bullfrogs but they sound quite different in the last place I lived. There they made more of a whomp whomp kind of sound, but if I go to the pond by me here in Japan, they make this mooo sound. Some at a different pond make a rather cute peep/chirp sound. I like taking photos of them, so I might be able to upload a live photo to youtube after work. Although there’s probably some for the same frogs already up? :thinking:

6 Likes

… And thus you know each frog makes the sound that it makes. Not clear what bubble is being burst here.

Going out on a limb here, but if they live in Japan rather than America, and they go moo rather than whomp whomp, perhaps they’re not American bullfrogs?

3 Likes

Your bubble that I’m unfamiliar with frogs?

If you take a look at the dictionary entry again, it says American bullfrogs were imported in the Taisho era. My ex told me that the frogs at that particular pond were ウシガエル but idk if she was a frog otaku. I’ll see if I can find someone who’s really into nature at work :thinking:

5 Likes

I’m surprised that the Japanese didn’t bring in this superior American frog technology in the Meiji era along with the steam engine and electricity.

4 Likes

ラジャー
as in roger, or roger that

5 Likes

野次馬 (やじうま) ー Rubbernecks/curious onlookers.

3 Likes

Today I noticed that two words I’ve learned recently are written with the same kanji:

拗ねる・すねるto pout, to sulk
拗れる・こじれるto get complicated

5 Likes

More cows! :cow:

( :snail: :frog: )

Edit: oh hey, from June 11

9 Likes

松明(たいまつ) – a torch

Of course, the first Kanji is (まつ), but it is reversed, due to 「たきまつ(焚松)」の音変化か

2 Likes

暴力 - Violence (bouryoku)
From a visual novel called この大空に、翼をひろげて

2 Likes

Better than three women.

姦しい かしましい noisy

3 Likes

I’m sure this is pretty well known, but I just picked it up for the first time watching NHK News tonight – 被爆者 (ひばくしゃ), meaning atomic bomb victim.

3 Likes

I just learnt the word 大事. I had received an email from Wanikani when I started level 9 and there is an inside joke in this word that I will only find out in level 10. Cant wait to complete this level and find out what the joke is !

3 Likes

用心堅固 - very, very careful
老眼鏡 - farsighted glasses

1 Like

狐につままれる (きつねにつままれる) ー literally, “to be bewitched by a fox,” an idiom meaning to be confused.

3 Likes

タバコ入れ - cigarette case, tobacco pouch

Not really a word, but I found out about 岸田國士 and decided to read some of their stories. Notice how くにお is written :wink: . The 作家別作品リスト:岸田 国士 page has the regular kanji, but some of the stories use the old jinmeiyou version of 国.

Oh gosh goly where’s my trolley. I didn’t even notice Kishida-sensei’s theater plays are in old kana and I’m a little lost :sweat_smile: .

野犬 - stray dog
Started reading 世界の終わりに柴犬と :smiley: . The lack of furigana is refreshing and the story entertaining so far.

4 Likes

I guess this isn’t technically a recent Japanese word I learned, cause technically I’ve known this word since I was a little kid…

仮面 - かめん

Kamen Rider was pretty huge in the Philippines when I was a kid. So I knew the name… and even the English translation that I saw sometimes: Masked Rider. But it wasn’t until literally 5 minutes ago when it came up in my WK lessons that I realized what that 仮面 = Mask. Haha.

Kamen_rider_eurodata

Cheers everyone!

8 Likes

自動販売機: vending machine

It kind of feels nice being able to read and know what this means.

5 Likes

身分証明書(みぶんしょうめいしょ) - identification papers

3 Likes