Most recent Japanese word you've learned?

~不全 – 心不全、腎不全、肝不全 like in organ failure.

Another vocab from an unrelated source is 超絶~ as in very.

4 Likes
What is it with Japanese and food having secondary sexual definitions?

erwe

5 Likes

Ah, yes… Japanese…

Summary

It’s just people coming up with names that either resemble the food mentioned, like idk an oyakodon, a sandwich, hotdog, etc., or wanting a term that you can use in conversation without people knowing what you’re talking about, I’d say.

From the top of my head there’s popping a cherry and tossing salad. Though I agree the Japanese do it a lot, too.

5 Likes

You may or may not enjoy the movie Tampopo

3 Likes

悪魔憑き
あくまつき
Possessed by a demon

火刑
かけい
Burned at a stake

処する
しょする
To punish

もろとも
All together

悪魔崇拝
あくますうはい
Demon worshippers

Spoilered becaus some of them are kinda risqué.

Kinda feels like this book was written by a Catholic. :joy:

Oh and the way the 狼 girl talks makes me wonder if it’s supposed to just sound like “country bumpkin”. So here’s some kinda Kansai-ish things I learned:

わっち・わたし
わちゃあ・わたしは
や・だ
そりゃあ・それは
じゃろ・だろう
もんじゃありんせん・ものではありません
しとるんじゃった・¯_(ツ)_/¯ :joy:

10 Likes

That’s a movie I’ve always intended to watch. I saw the spaghetti scene on youtube and thought it was hilarious.

1 Like

バツイチ being once divorced; one-time divorcee;

3 Likes

隠れん坊 - Hide-and-seek

Your task is to find the hidden (隠) monk (坊), because he has challenged you in a game of hide-and-seek.

Picture the monk hidden in a difficult place in the temple. Imagine yourself hurriedly looking for the hidden monk. What for? Is there some sort of reward behind it?

Reading: かくれんぼう

The reading of 隠 is the kun’yomi one (かく) you’ve learned, while the reading for 坊 is the on’yomi one. (ぼう). Do note that the 坊 part is more commonly written in hiragana, so stay alert!

3 Likes

If you’ve seen me post on this thread before, you’ll know that one of the things I find super amusing is seeing a word pop up in my lessons that I recognize from some Japanese show I’ve watched.

Today, it’s: 守る - まもる - to protect.

I remember thinking that it sounded very familiar. Then I figured it out, I heard the word before in one of the Gaki no Tsukai No Laughing specials. If you don’t know what that is, please look it up, it’s hilarious. If you do about it, it’s from the Detectives special. It is a Tanaka Thai Kick segment… Tanaka gets 5000 yen to spend, then they see an advertisement for a product called “まもるくん” which claims to protect people from getting hurt during a Thai kick. He of course buys it and hilarity ensues…

I turned it in to a GIF cause I couldn’t find it on Youtube…

mamoru

4 Likes

弁膜 (べんまく) valve – I just never thought of 弁 in this way.
脳卒中 (のうそっちゅう) stroke (cerebrovascular disease) – what is doing here, anyway?

2 Likes

2 Likes

That list of English meanings doesn’t include the meaning associated with 脳卒中 for some reason. Though it does list にわか as a reading.

From Wikipedia

「卒中」の語源は「卒然(突然)邪気や邪風に中(あた)る」という意味から

So it comes from 卒然, and in 卒然, the meaning of 卒 is “sudden.”

4 Likes

What the, I always thought it was just 突然.

This is getting out of hand, now there are two of them!

2 Likes

突然 is orders of magnitude more common than 卒然 (roughly 4500 appearances in jpdb for 突然, 10 for 卒然), so I wouldn’t say it’s worth worrying about memorizing it. It probably used to be more common, I suppose.

4 Likes

Well, it’s not like I’ll forget it now. :eye:

2 Likes

I’ve set a reminder to ask you in a year. :+1:

5 Likes

道化師 : a clown :clown_face:

It’s from a short story that has a very nostalgic feel to it so I’m thinking it might be somewhat archaic. It was a fun one since I knew the kanji and would have guessed something like “civil engineer” but that made no sense in context, so Jisho to the rescue!

6 Likes

Aren’t those words synonyms?

Smirk, smirk.

6 Likes

Yesterday I learned that there is a nice euphemism for neet
自宅警備員

台無し - spoiled, ruined
浪費 - waste, extravagance

7 Likes

統合失調症 - schizophrenia

4 Likes