Most recent Japanese word you've learned?

Yeah, I forgot that you can’t hit enter early lol. It was quickly recommended by the ime since I had typed it out twice recently lol

2 Likes

藪蛇 (やぶへび) ー short for 藪をつついて蛇を出す. “To scare out a snake by poking at the brush,” meaning to bring unnecessary trouble on one oneself.

6 Likes

商売女
しょうばいおんな
A “woman of the night” :wink:

And not a female merchant like I foolishly assumed. :joy:

調子を取る
ちょうしをっとる
To beat time, to mark time

業を煮やす
ごうをにやす
To lose one’s temper

5 Likes

Are you trying to tell me I’ve been living a lie? :frowning:

3 Likes

Imagine me scratching my head for a bit on the following sentence before giving up and going to Jisho. :joy:

これだけ美しければ、商売女なら下手に触ればいくら取られるかわかったものではなかったからだ。

3 Likes

DeepL and Google translate thinks it is a business woman (when using the whole sentence). :joy:

6 Likes

What’s the book out of curiosity? :smiley:

Also, that’s a very roundabout way of saying “this business woman is good enough to make business with more than once”.

2 Likes

狼と香辛料

The Book Club is scheduled to start it on Aug 27, but I was already reading it so I’ll just be following along on the thread.

Although it’s been kinda slow. I only really get maybe a half an hour before bed to read a few pages so they might go past whatever part I’m on at the time. :laughing:

Haha, that’s an interesting turn of phrase. :wink:

3 Likes

相槌 (あいづち) ー refers to the interjections one uses to indicate that they are paying attention.

7 Likes

なるほど :thinking:

5 Likes

I think the mental image involved is two hammers taking turns to hit something. (Think about pounding rice cakes.) I’m not sure that’s the origin, but I mean 槌 is the kanji for ‘(wooden) hammer’.

7 Likes

催眠術 (さいみんじゅつ) meaning hypnosis. I already knew all the kanji from WK and the meaning was apparent from context but I had never actually seen the word before.

5 Likes

I was also thinking about 金鎚 of the metal version, only to find 鉄鎚, which when read てっつい, it can mean crushing blow.

There seems to be no difference between metal (鎚) and wood (槌) versions, for both vocabularies.

Looking up about the origin of 相槌, it seems to be about making a sword.

3 Likes

Ha, I was reading a book the other week where this came up several times, and as you say the meaning is clear enough in context, but I think I confused it with 睡眠 somehow because I was mis-reading it as すいみんじゅつ…

4 Likes

蝸牛・かたつむり・snail :cow:

11 Likes

The origin might help remember the Kanji form.

In short, two horns of a cow (牛), but with a swirl (渦+虫=蝸) on the back.

4 Likes

Yeah, I did consider putting in that even Jisho lists the origin as two blacksmiths hammering in turn but ended up leaving it out! I also realized later that I’ve actually heard the word before, just hadn’t seen it in writing until now, so it’s cemented better this time. :stuck_out_tongue:

お茶を濁す (おちゃをにごす) ー giving an evasive answer, speaking vaguely, or otherwise making up some kind of story to get out of an uncomfortable situation. Instead of muddying the water, I guess you muddy tea in Japanese. :laughing:

4 Likes

Also a subspecies of cow

for some reason they really make a cow-like sound here

5 Likes

Is this the new HxH? 牛x蛙
Or is it one of those ships people talk about?

6 Likes

The reason would be because that’s the sound they make. :stuck_out_tongue:

Hollywood has taught us that all frogs go “ribbit”, but in actual fact, there’s only one species of frog in the entire world which makes that sound: the one that lives in the waterways around Hollywood. Lazy foley editors just using the sound they recorded in their back garden to mean “frog”, regardless of where in the world the film is set.

6 Likes