Most recent Japanese word you've learned?

かわいい〜 ^^"

My grammar practice is getting a little political:
差別 - discrimination
差別語 - discriminatory language
差別発言 - discriminatory expression, hate speech

熱中症(ねっちゅうしょう), heat stroke

Finally trying to learn the kanji for 涙 so here’s some 涙-related words:
涙ぐむ - to be moved to tears
涙ぐましい - touching, moving (to tears, duh!)

大天使 (Archangel). I saw it in SMT games (albeit in Romaji) and had no idea what it meant.

I was listening to the opening of Radiant Historia (Incredible game, play it!).

It’s called Falling Flowers, Flowing Waters in English. The Japanese is:
落花流水
Turns out it is one of these … four … you know what I mean. And also means mutual love.

2 Likes

That’s so much more romantic than what this phrase means in Chinese… in Chinese, it’s used as an adverb to describe suffering a crushing defeat. :joy: Well, at least I now know I need to look out for this difference in Japanese. Thanks!

1 Like

ちゃんぽん - used to describe a mixture of things. I learned about it from this dish called the 長崎ちゃんぽん.
Noodles topped with a mixture of odds and ends of veggies and seafood:

1 Like

究極 last final ultimate

1 Like

行き止まり - dead end. In Raku’s minecraft ゆっくり lp, Reimu used the word each time she ran into dead end during exploration of the strong hold.

So I checked if it means “dead end” , as considering context and kanji, it does. Lo and behold. It’s “dead end” . Nice to learn word from context which is not based on english like チェスト

1 Like

色覚異常 - color blind

1 Like

Man that’s hard to say. Lol

I prefer the Wk version 色盲

1 Like

()(まわ)す, to manipulate someone

2 Likes

It’s 銀行で踊り time :stuck_out_tongue:

口座振替 - direct debit
口座自動振替 - standing order

「いいこ!」

“Good boy/girl/child.” Conveniently, it is also how you call your dog a a good boy/girl/child, which makes this the most important Japanese vocabulary I will ever learn.

3 Likes

I was looking at the Serge Lutens Japanese website, which has their perfume names translated into Japanese. (It’d be cool if there were Japanese editions of the bottles with the Japanese names, but there are not. These names are only on the website.)
Serge Lutens is a perfume house named after its founder, Serge Lutens. He is a makeup artist and photographer and he was the creative director for Shiseido in the 80’s and 90’s. He’s also known for being…almost like a French Willy Wonka of makeup and perfume. I’ve been a fan for over a decade so the perfume names and marketing is old news for me, but it’s been fun to revisit it all with a fresh perspective, since I’m reading it in Japanese.
And it’s been educational!!!
I’ve learned all these words…
修道女 - a Catholic nun
乳歯 - baby teeth
過去分詞 - part participle
洗礼 - baptism
樫 - oak
罪作り - jisho says deceitful and cruel. The original French word being used was criminelle.
淵 - abyss ( 深き淵より is De Profundis).

I also noticed some of the names were different. For instance, La vierge de fer means Iron Maiden, but the Japanese name is 鉄の百合, or Iron Lily. Chergui is the name of a wind that blows in Morocco, but the Japanese name is モロッコの砂漠の熱風, or Moroccan desert hot wind.

3 Likes

I saw this in FF7R:

科学部門 (Science Department).

2 Likes

ご無沙汰 ごぶさた long silence

Learned on WK but, funnily enough, I just heard it on an episode of 「蜘蛛ですが、なにか?」recently.

血圧 (blood pressure), 花の穴 (nostril),

穴場 (good out-of-the-way place, not known to many- I know of a sushi restaurant near my house that is an 穴場 )

1 Like

I’m guessing this was supposed to be 鼻の穴? I was expecting something a little more obscure for ‘nostril’, to be honest. What a relief. :joy:

And this is a really cool word! Thanks for sharing!

1 Like

I’m sorry, I laughed harder than I should’ve :smiley: :smiley:
It’s a flower-stril!

軍手 - working/worker gloves
電卓 - calculator (can’t believe I didn’t know this until now…)

1 Like