Most recent Japanese word you've learned?

私はおしりはあなたのすきです

Like that?

If I tried to make this grammatically complete, it would be

私は おしりは あなたの が 好きです。

Which is roughly ‘For me, with regard to butts, I like yours.’

I was thinking that this should be

私はあなたのおしりがすきです。

‘As for me, I like your butt.’

Both translations are a little weird because they’re quite literal, but I hope it’s clear that in the first sentence, you’re making a general statement about butts and picking a favourite or pointing out one you like, whereas in the second, you’re just stating what you like. In the first, ‘I’ and ‘butts’ are topics of discussion, whereas in the second, ‘I’ is the topic of discussion. In other words, each sentence provides information about slightly different things.

2 Likes

Thank you I will refer back to this in the future as I’m decorating right now, you’re also so helpful Jona😁

1 Like

i’d probably go for something like

あんたのおしりが好きだね

making it a bit more casual ^^

3 Likes

Hahaha. Good point. I just thought I wouldn’t change the grammar too much for simplicity’s sake, but yes, this is more appropriate for a joke with friends. :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

@Jonapedia my guardian angels xD

2 Likes

ぎょ
Very easy to remember because of this lovely piece of horror.
Junji Ito, burning images into our memory since 2001 :smiley:

From a japanese song,

一生懸命 いっしょうけんめい

with full effort

1 Like

This officially killed me :smiley: . “The Jonapedia school of polite admiration” :smiley:

Ah, I recognize this! The legendary 魚! Big fan of Junji Ito here.

I was looking for けんか (quarrel), but found 県花 - prefecture flower/emblem. Very useful!

2 Likes

水道代(すいどうだい)- water bill
I just hadn’t needed to know the word for it before lol. Very useful though

1 Like

モルモット guinea pig.

Talking of guinea pigs… you should check out PUI PUI モルカー Not really for learning but more to relax with some cute wacky stop motion guinea pigs.

2 Likes

かわいい〜 ^^"

My grammar practice is getting a little political:
差別 - discrimination
差別語 - discriminatory language
差別発言 - discriminatory expression, hate speech

1 Like

熱中症(ねっちゅうしょう), heat stroke

Finally trying to learn the kanji for 涙 so here’s some 涙-related words:
涙ぐむ - to be moved to tears
涙ぐましい - touching, moving (to tears, duh!)

大天使 (Archangel). I saw it in SMT games (albeit in Romaji) and had no idea what it meant.

I was listening to the opening of Radiant Historia (Incredible game, play it!).

It’s called Falling Flowers, Flowing Waters in English. The Japanese is:
落花流水
Turns out it is one of these … four … you know what I mean. And also means mutual love.

2 Likes

That’s so much more romantic than what this phrase means in Chinese… in Chinese, it’s used as an adverb to describe suffering a crushing defeat. :joy: Well, at least I now know I need to look out for this difference in Japanese. Thanks!

1 Like

ちゃんぽん - used to describe a mixture of things. I learned about it from this dish called the 長崎ちゃんぽん.
Noodles topped with a mixture of odds and ends of veggies and seafood:

1 Like

究極 last final ultimate

1 Like

行き止まり - dead end. In Raku’s minecraft ゆっくり lp, Reimu used the word each time she ran into dead end during exploration of the strong hold.

So I checked if it means “dead end” , as considering context and kanji, it does. Lo and behold. It’s “dead end” . Nice to learn word from context which is not based on english like チェスト

2 Likes