Mobile dictionary

Does anyone have recommendations for a mobile dictionary either J-J or J-E?
I’ve been using the sanseido and jisho on desktop and I would like a quick tool on mobile to lookup words I come across when I listen to podcasts on the go. I could use the mobile webpages, but an app of some sort would hopefully be quicker and easier to use

Thanks!

1 Like

I use Midori (J-E) for iOS. Can’t really get a J-J dictionary from the US App Store though.

1 Like

I use the J-E dictionary Jsho (not a typo) on Android.

2 Likes

I second this. Jsho also has pitch accent listings if you enable it in the settings.

3 Likes

Takoboto is generally nice to use, and does a really good job of parsing phrases. Unfortunately it has no pitch accent though.

2 Likes

I also use Takoboto for J-E, and I recently an app-version of Weblio for J-J. Weblio also has an app for thier J-E dictionary, but I haven’t tried it.

2 Likes

物書堂’s dictionary app for IOS is on the US app store. They have both J-J and J-E offerings. I wrote a post about them over in this thread.

5 Likes

Thanks for all the replies! I will probably try all the ones for iOS to see what works for me

I was just about to suggest this. :blush:

2 Likes

Takoboto does have pitch accent, but you have to enable it in the settings.

3 Likes

For iPhone I’ve used the J-E / E-J app “Japanese” for several years & am pleased with it. Tried “imiwa?” & perhaps others, which were fine too.

1 Like

Awesome. This must have come in an update, thanks.

1 Like

The three I use are Jisho (i.e. JMDICT) for J2E, Shinmeikai and Super Daijirin (I think these are published by Sanseido?), on desktop.

Shinmeikai has better written definitions but are longer. Hence takes longer to read and is harder to understand as a beginner but when you can understand I think it’s the better definition.
Daijirin has shorter definitions and far more total words than Shinmeikai (in my experience).

But on mobile I just created a link to jisho.org and access it through the mobile browser. Works quite well.

Also I think I saw that super-daijirin has an app for around $30 on the appstore.

1 Like

I’ve installed Jsho based on your and @daltonsbro’s suggestion in this thread and quite like it so far - thanks for the hint :slight_smile: (had been using the jisho.org mobile site before but a native app is often more convenient).

1 Like

As a beginner (n4 level), I have found 三省堂国語辞典 pretty manageable!
The definitions are to the point and simple :grinning:
Got it for ~$20cad on the iOS store.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.