Mastering じつ・にち, にん・じん, ねん・とし etc

I can’t say enough good stuff about the Self-Study Quiz script. Nothing more satisfying than nailing something you missed by practicing it to death. But then I was thinking, if only there was a way to generate lists of things that I’m confusing regularly, like the different readings of 日, 人, 月, 年, 生…

I was getting ready to roll up my sleeves and delve into the API, but it’s already done in the mighty Self-Study Quiz, if you have the Additional Filters installed too! Click the gear, go to the Items tab, make a new presets list and at the bottom put your most confused kanji in the Related Items field, select the SRS levels you want as well, and you get a fine list to torment yourself with.

4 Likes

I’m not sure what the Related Items field is. Sounds like you might also be using some filter plug-ins for Self-Study Quiz. If so, I’m sure others could benefit from seeing which ones you’re using :slight_smile:

Edit: Ahh, I see… it’s @seanblue’s [Additional Filters] script.

2 Likes

Thanks for the heads up. I forgot I had installed Additional Filters along with it, as it was recommended in the The Ultimate Guide thread. I changed my initial post to clarify.

I do an extra hit of reviews after lessons and that makes a big, big difference in retaining them. And some readings or meanings just need to be hammered into place and it’s great not to have to make my own flashcards for that.

2 Likes

Glad it’s working well for you!
Your way of using it is exactly why I wrote Self-Study Quiz: Drill them at the start, and they stick so much better.

1 Like