Mark as wrong

It depends. If you focus too strictly on word-to-word translation, you lose sight of learning the actual meaning of a word as it is used in Japanese, which is much more important.

Translations are rarely exact, and understanding the basic concept of a word is much more useful and helpful than making a distinction between two very similar words in English.

Just looking at some sample sentences on the Internet shows it being translated as both anyway, in addition to “godsend” and even “lady luck.”

運がいいね。-> It’s a godsend.
あなたは運がいい。-> You’re in luck.
僕は運がいいから大丈夫だよ。-> Lady luck is smiling on me, and I’ll be fine.

I wouldn’t worry about it so much. If you really want to be that strict about understanding words, you should use a Japanese-Japanese dictionary, with Japanese examples. If your level isn’t high enough to do that yet, making the distinction in English probably won’t help as much as you think.

Just my two cents.

2 Likes

Not sure what you’re getting at exactly. Marking answers wrong is for when the fuzzy marking system accepts blatantly wrong things as correct. Such as accepting “transitive verb” for 自動詞 and “intransitive verb” for 他動詞, which is the exact opposite for their meanings.

1 Like

On KW, after a user’s answer is marked with UI feedback (correct/incorrect, green/red color, srs rank up/down) - if they then add that answer as a synonym - we roll back any correct/incorrect/streak increases that just occurred and return the item to the queue (with the added synonym) as if nothing ever happened. Any subsequent answers will of course be marked accordingly - but the synonym addition answer is a one-off free pass.

Not saying you should do it like this, it’s just what made the most amount of sense if a user adds the wrong answer as a synonym.

I was responding to OP’s philosophy of marking things wrong so he could be “super strict” with his studies.

The problem you mentioned sounds like something that could be fixed within the WaniKani spellchecker itself.

Ah, I was just looking at what you quoted. But to be fair, 運がいい isn’t a noun (it’s basically a phrase), so I can see the reasoning behind wanting to hold yourself a certain standard. Unfortunately, WK isn’t very consistent about the parts of speech matching up, especially with na adjectives.

(Also, yes, I am aware that English grammar and Japanese grammar don’t perfectly align with each other, but you can still say “that’s not a noun”)

Until they fix it, marking answers wrong is a feature that can benefit everyone, as he said.

1 Like

I agree with being more strict about corrections… Or with being able to mark right answers wrong. For example, I have been having a problem with 中毒 since the very first day. I keep typing “poisoned”, when the right answer is “poisoning” (very different!) but WK always marks it right, as if it had a typo. I burned this word last week, and I resurrected it because I have burned it by always putting the wrong answer… :frowning: It just appeared in my reviews again and I (again!) put “poisoned”. GAH!

I don’t think it’s that different in this context. It’s meant in the sense of “I have food poisoning”. We don’t say “I’ve been poisoned by food” because of habit more than anything. I guess “poisoned” gives a sense that you became ill by some agent’s intention, but I would say it doesn’t have to mean that.

ummmm…

no need to be too strict〜 dont became slave of language translation〜 instead describe what sounds natural on your own language〜♪

no need to match exact same as wanikani supplied translation is okay as it still understanding gist of word and how to use them in difference scenario/nuance〜♪

2 Likes

I’m unconvinced I agree with this though. Because in English it works as you described, does not, in my opinion, mean it should be marked correct when we are learning Japanese.
Then again, I am but an ignorant beginner, so I could just be sprouting nonsense :wink:.

@viet, any news on this? Thanks!

2 Likes

@viet, bumping this in case you missed it. Thanks!

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.