Making Progress on the Dashboard, Take 2

Its working perfectly now, and I love it, that’s a very clever way to show the progress of the Radicals and Kanji.

Just some thoughts about the new UI.
-I kind of miss how you could see in the normal UI the translation and readings of the Kanji when you hover over them, even if it could be used for “cheating”.
-It would be nice to have something to show which radicals or Kanji are going to be in the review, besides hovering over an item. Maybe a different shade of color for upcoming reviews?

All in all, an improvement over the actual UI, thanks for listening to the original feedback.

1 Like

Sorry if this was already mentioned @oldbonsai, but wouldn’t it be better for the progress of the progress bar to adjust with the number of kanji passed?

In this screenshot from @lucon1, it shows 1 out of 37 kanji passed, but the bar doesn’t seem like it represents 2,7%.

6 Likes

Firstly, thanks again for all the hard work you’re putting into this guys. We really do appreciate it.
Second, overall I’m pretty pleased with the look of the new design. There are two things I’d like to point out. The first is purely cosmetic and that’s the facte that the radicals and Kanji are now aligned to the left. It’s not too important overall but I prefer the centralised look from before. The second is the lack of the overall kanji and radical counter. It might not seem like much but knowing how many kanji in total there are at a glance let’s me know how many kanji I can get wrong and without affecting my level up.
That’s all from I think but I will keep you updated if I think of anything else.
Thanks again for your hard work and more importantly for listening to us and working on our feedback.

3 Likes

@oldbonsai how about a newline before “This item’s next review is in about xx hours”?
Otherwise, the hover text is a very long line, and it takes the eyes a while to scan to the xx hours information.

(edit: answer was that it’s technically difficult because alt-text has no markup)

4 Likes

Quick question: what is that really nice progress bar above your srs tiles that you are using? I have searched through the forums but couldn’t find it…

4 Likes

Must be this one you’re looking for :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Yep, just like @Redglare said correctly.

cc And for @Pep95 I’m still drafting my reply for you. I could finish it soon I could finish it later.

2 Likes

Thank you and @Oshin so much!! Really excited to start using this!!

4 Likes

Right. That’s not the default you got though. So you’ll have to set it yourself from the setting to make it above like mine, unless when you’re 60 soon, so you may want to wipe it all completely and just use the default one probably. Have fun!

3 Likes

Well it’s Level Progress, so I assume it takes the the guru-ed kanji and radicals into account. So out of the 62 items, 11 already passed, which would fit (I guess? I didn’t do the math though.)

1 Like

Oh I see! That explains a lot, I was surprised to see mine looked different from yours haha. I get it now, thank you again!

1 Like

You’re welcome! Have fun and party party party!

kucing%20lagi%20senang

6 Likes

I’m waaay far behind on the vocab for the previous level, so I can’t test this for myself yet, but one thing I really liked about the previous new dashboard was the red arrow showing where I’d gotten one wrong and went back to the last SRS level. Is that preserved on the new new dashboard somehow?

1 Like

It’s a bit of a math problem in there that we spotted earlier today. We’ll get that working nicely later today or tomorrow.

Ah, it’s title text, not a custom tool tip. Title text supports no markup and the presentation is controlled by the browser. We tried it with a custom tool tip earlier, but with it showing immediately, it made that section feel super frenetic as you moused around. So: good idea, but we can’t implement it as it stands.

We tried it out, but it distracted from the point of showing progress. Also, it’s such a small space, all we could use was color and it was easily missed by those with color blindness. We could support it with arrows on the timeline, which made it more easily interpreted. So: nope.

9 Likes

It works! you have done it! NICE WORK haha and thank you very much! It looks lovely jubly

Your post is basically word-for-word what I was going to say. It’s not that I think the redesign is bad, but @rfindley’s DPP script is still better in my opinion.

Highlighting not only progress towards guru, but keeping track beyond that, plus adding a check mark for initially getting there is a major thing for me. That and the decision to sort based on SRS level + time to next review I think is the best sorting order (but having the ability to override this is also helpful).

It’s hard, because much of the design work is rather subjective, but I’m still going to be using the DPP script over the regular WK one.

1 Like

@jprspereira: The progress bar should have the maths correct. And some “better” display on narrow screens/browsers.

5 Likes

A lot better than v1! My only note would be that it could be a bit hard to tell the green dashes from the empty gray ones in bad lighting conditions (low brightness, or on a laptop screen outdoors)

1 Like

Oh also, the characters being bold instead of normal weight make the denser characters a bit harder to read at such a small font size (look at how the lines fuse together into one big blob on 微 or 警)

Sorting the list based on the SRS level, like rfindley’s script does could also be a nice improvement

2 Likes

Love it so much more than the last edition!

3 Likes