Looking for grammar quizzes

I’ve been doing a little bit of WaniKani and a little bit of grammar (using Learn Japanese – Tae Kim's Guide to Learning Japanese) pretty much daily. I’ve gotten through all of the “beginner” grammar items, but I haven’t done much practice with it. He doesn’t have much practice that I can do on there. I did find the site JOSHU - Japanese Online Self-Help Utility. It has quite a bit more quizzes, but only like one or two per topic. I’m looking for a website that would hopefully have many of these types of quizzes so that I can practice and solidify the different grammar rules that I’ve learned without just memorizing the answers to the questions.

3 Likes

bunpro would be the advice, but is it paid

I have been using shirimono for grammar only, it has many quizzes but not many variations for each grammar particle/type.

1 Like

Katsu is a website for practicing conjugation and is super customizable! Not sure if it has everything you’re looking for, but it is worth checking out.

2 Likes

There’s a set of Twitter accounts you can follow which release questions regularly, but there are no explanations whatsoever, just the answers, meaning you’ll have to figure out why you’re wrong yourself (or post a question on the forums if you’re stuck). I’m not sure if that would interest you, but here’s a link:
https://twitter.com/jlpt_n5

For the rest, just substitute ‘n5’ with ‘n4’, ‘n3’ or whatever other level you’re interested in. The questions cover readings and kanji as well, I believe, but there are definitely grammar questions in there.

2 Likes

I was checking the N1 account and err, really? 人生 or 嫌い aren’t really N1 words. More like N5. Some stuff feel more like N3 or N2, but they are a bit diluted by the rest. The only thing that felt N1 in the first 20 posts is ごとく/ごとき (used twice too, so it feels like a very limited set of relevant questions)
I haven’t checked the other levels though.

1 Like

Hm… fair enough. I didn’t check the level of the questions when I started following those accounts because I simply wanted something to practice with. Thanks for pointing that out. Some of the structures are listed as N1 on various sites though, but I did need to scroll down quite a bit to get to those, ごとき aside…

1 Like

I also really like the 日本語能力試験 - JLPT テスト app ^0^
Also also(?) If you’re still a beginner Lingodeer or Duolingo might be useful for practice

3 Likes

Get BunPo, BunPro, LingoDeer or DeerPlus. Or collect them all like I did :sweat_smile:
If you are looking for specific JLPT exams, try Migii app.

I love this Katsu site. That is pretty much exactly what I was hoping for. So, that sets me up for the conjugation. Do you know of any that do the same kind of thing but specifically for particles? JOSHU has a couple of them (Particle Quiz). But again, a couple isn’t really enough for much practice. Obviously, being able to use the right particle would be extremely useful. Some particles have very small nuances that still seem to evade me. At least conjugation has some fairly hard set rules.

2 Likes

このフォルムで、お互いに色々な文の交換して、それぞれの文法を説明しているスレッドがあるの?

That’s my crappy way of asking whether there’s a thread on this forum where we can go over sentences and analyze them.

You could try renshuu.org. It’s similar to wanikani where they show you the grammar rule, then quiz you on it using either multiple choice or having you type the word in hiragana/katakana. They have grammar sets for the different JLPT levels, but they also have ones based on textbooks like Genki. I’ve personally found it really helpful.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.