Looking for a vocabulary learning resource just like wanikani

I agree with using Genki or another textbook also…learn the vocab in them, but more importantly learn the grammar required to actually use any of the vocab (and any of Wanikani kanji/vocab also).

Or you’ll go down the rabbit hole of only ever doing flashcards/srs and wake up two years from now and realize while you can recognize a bunch of kanji…you can’t actually read or write anything.

I was a bit confused on this at first well. Sometimes with the example sentences in the Core10k deck, there will be a vocab/kanji that is a bit harder. I wouldn’t worry about it too much, because you will kind of memorize the sentences after seeing them a few times and start to remember what the kanji is without working too hard on it.

I think the “lessons” are in chunks of 5 cards, so for every vocab item you get a J>E, E>J, Audio, Example Sentence, and Example Sentence audio. So sometimes your example sentence will have new vocab that isn’t necessarily the focus of that “lesson” if that makes any sense. Focus more on the vocab items that appear individually, but I think you’ll find that you will pick up the new vocab from the example sentences either way.

1 Like

Totally agree with this. I’ve been in a hole of despair myself after some time on wk only, some years ago. I’ve been studying grammar and feel much more involved in Japanese now. I also rebooted wk because many vocabs got out of my brain since i had no context to use it in…

I love this deck. It’s what I used prior to WK and it is SO useful to have had previous exposure to vocab and some of the kanji. There’s a lot of stuff that I can go something like ‘oh, this is the 際 (sai) in 最高 (saikou).’ It’s also really nice to get the stuff that you won’t learn on WK since it’s all kana. So I can second the recommendation!

1 Like

Sure there is some N2/N1 vocab. My point is that you absolutely cannot rely on iKnow to carry you through N2/N1 vocab. Not even close.
It’s a great resource though. I like the sample sentences and the different way it tests you. Theoretically you could do the same thing with an Anki deck, but I like the convenience.

1 Like

Agree. Me too.

All of us should remember to thank @hinekidori profusely.

Thank you Hine-san!!!

4 Likes

I second the WK expansion pack (HELLO ワニカニ拡張パック - by まゆっち - Memrise)

As well as this Kana Only deck also made by BreadstickNinja that I put into Memrise (Core 6000 Kana Only Vocab Deck - by cmcguire345 - Memrise) that contains almost 1000 kana-only words that you mostly will not learn by WK unless they’re written in kanji too, but these words are mainly written in kana even when they have kanji forms.

Just be careful not to overload yourself, and I’d say learning grammar is more important than learning extra words.

1 Like

Grammar very important. Learn please. Speak this way not.

2 Likes

Glad it’s still useful. :+1:

:grin:

4 Likes

Yesterday people told me to give iKnow a try and I believe it’s a good way to learn vocabulary. If you wanna try it (www.iknow.jp) for free during 3 months, use this coupon “rlearnjapanese”, it’s still working and it’s a nice way to see the benefits of being a pro member. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.