Looking for a script to toss fails to the end of the queue

So the title makes it pretty clear,  but let me explain the situation.

Today I was doing reviews, and I had pipe and boundary come up and I proceeded to fail them. (No big surprise, not that strong). Well, rather than slow myself down by actually relearning them, I just started to toss “ka” into their answers just to push them through so I could keep my review pace up. Well, afterwards I had a look at my “critical items” and low and behold they’re way up there because I just answered with the wrong answer about 14 times so I could continue my reviews.

I would rather not have to put in the wrong answer over and over again, and it also basically screws up the purpose of the critical items area.

Soo… is there a script which you can turn on which just tosses all the fails to the end of the queue? Maybe after a set number of tries? (Like 2-3 tries)? To be quite honest, I figure this should be a default feature of any word in “apprentice” level, because if you’ve just arsed it up, you probably need to “relearn” it anyways. But relearning and working the mnemonic through again while trying to bust out reviews breaks the flow pretty badly.

I’ve thought this for a long time and would definitely use the script.

I’d use this too. I think it would be helpful to use as a mini-SRS for your reviews in addition to keeping up the speed. I like it better when a failed word comes up later in the cue because there was some time since I forgot it and if I remember the next time then I never miss it again. But it doesn’t work as well if it’s in the next 3 like usual.

Just to add, I really think this should actually be the default behavior. I can’t think of a reason you’d want it otherwise, but I’m open to hearing one.

Er, why not just relearn them then?  Does it really take that much time to look at the eye button and see the correct answer?  I understand that you want to keep the pace, but is this that much of a time suck?  Does it differ on a computer versus mobile? I feel like there have been issues in the past with the tab taking longer than normal to load, so I’m wondering if this is motivated by in part by that.

rlgreen91 said... Er, why not just relearn them then?  Does it really take that much time to look at the eye button and see the correct answer?  I understand that you want to keep the pace, but is this that much of a time suck?  Does it differ on a computer versus mobile? I feel like there have been issues in the past with the tab taking longer than normal to load, so I'm wondering if this is motivated by in part by that.
The difference is in how you're doing things. So when I'm in a hurry, I'm doing it on the computer. I can do about 150-200 reviews in an hour on the pc, vs far far less on mobile.  So if I'm entering in an answer every 4-7 seconds, having to stop, download, read, absorb, process at 30-45 seconds (IE learning it again) interupts what was a quick process.

The point is I want to learn it again, but not while I'm doing my reviews. if it failed out, I want it gone from the queue until I have time to do the learning properly rather than seeing it, failing it, over and over again because I have another 100 reviews left to finish asap.

Good idea! I’d use that.

(when I get the time to reactivate my account)

I do actually like the idea of this script. Hopefully someone can make it. 

god damn double post* sorry

I threw something together for you guys.  Not sure if it works, but if it doesn’t I’m sure you can figure it out.
http://pastebin.com/BQKEiwhi

In theory:
When the current item changes
scan all of the activeQueue(10 items you’re currently working on)
If there is an item with the amount of wrongness > 4
remove from queue totally[until next reload]
grab random “goodItem” from the reviewQueue(everything that isn’t active)
reset queues
change current item(in case the current item is the one we’re removing)

I gave it a try. I may have done something wrong. Tried putting it into tamper monkey with chrome. Do I need to refresh after getting something wrong to push it back? I feel its more me misunderstanding what it does. 

leonvlight said... I gave it a try. I may have done something wrong. Tried putting it into tamper monkey with chrome. Do I need to refresh after getting something wrong to push it back? I feel its more me misunderstanding what it does. 
 Did you tell tamper monkey which websites it needs? The script needs configuration

leonvlight said... I gave it a try. I may have done something wrong. Tried putting it into tamper monkey with chrome. Do I need to refresh after getting something wrong to push it back? I feel its more me misunderstanding what it does. 
 It wasn't a userscript.  Too lazy.

xMunch said...
 ahh outside of telling it what websites to use (which I only guessed at) I am far from savy enough to utilize the work you did than. 

leonvlight said...
xMunch said...
 ahh outside of telling it what websites to use (which I only guessed at) I am far from savy enough to utilize the work you did than. 
 All you have to do to turn it into a userscript is slap some metadata at the beginning of the code.
I'll start you off[Info about it here http://wiki.greasespot.net/Metadata_Block].
// ==UserScript==
// @name          My Script
// @namespace     http://www.wanikani.com/
// @description   Scripting is fun
// @include       *://www.wanikani.com/review/*
// @version       1.0
// ==/UserScript==

Put a new line before every "//" WK likes to overwrite the format...

xMunch said...
leonvlight said...
xMunch said...
 All you have to do to turn it into a userscript is slap some metadata at the beginning of the code.
I'll start you off[Info about it here http://wiki.greasespot.net/Metadata_Block].
// ==UserScript== // @name My Script // @namespace http://www.wanikani.com/ // @description Scripting is fun // @include *://www.wanikani.com/review/* // @version 1.0 // ==/UserScript==
Put a new line before every "//" WK likes to overwrite the format...

thanks so much, I had figured out that I need to add metadata at the beginning but made mistakes doing it....now I just have to wait for some reviews to try again.  

Okay some quick checks.

First, the limit of 4 appears to be only for one solving direction (not both). Is there a way to ensure that two misses on EITHER side (reading/meaning) toss it out of the queue? More importantly that it tosses it out of both queues just in case?

Second, while the event triggered correctly according to firebug, the offending word reappeared about 10 reviews later.

Gizmotech said... Okay some quick checks.

First, the limit of 4 appears to be only for one solving direction (not both). Is there a way to ensure that two misses on EITHER side (reading/meaning) toss it out of the queue? More importantly that it tosses it out of both queues just in case?

Second, while the event triggered correctly according to firebug, the offending word reappeared about 10 reviews later.

It works how you requesting, but there was a slight arithmetical error (> 4 instead of >= 4) .
The item can only be in one queue.

That is weird.  It should boot it completely until you refresh the page.

I did some changes(Seen a slight bug and fixed the error stated above) and threw it into a userscript file so everyone can just click to add.

https://gist.github.com/xMunch/4214917c2d2a676ec712/raw/QWT.user.js

Soooo…

I just forced it on a particular word I was trying to fail. It certainly triggers now, but throws an error in firebug. I didn’t catch it this time, but I’ll try it again in a few hours to see if I can get it to crash out again.

Gizmotech said... Soooo...

I just forced it on a particular word I was trying to fail. It certainly triggers now, but throws an error in firebug. I didn't catch it this time, but I'll try it again in a few hours to see if I can get it to crash out again.
 Should definitely work after you update it :D