Listening Practice with Podcasts

There are plenty of free podcast apps if you want to refund that one. It is a great app though, and the one I use as well. What really sold me on it is that you can create several playlists, which is great if you listen to a lot of podcasts.

2 Likes

don’t mention it :blush:

that’s what I like about it too. what kind of Japanese podcasts are you listening too? or podcasts for listening Practice in general

Haha, people beat me to it. Enjoy!

Honestly, no. I just put it on when I’m driving.

Here, maybe the website can be more helpful. Sorry! https://www.nhk.or.jp/radiosp/kodomoq/schedule.html

• Bilingual News
  • Soko Ani
  • Hiikibiiki

Non-Japanese pods (because I needed to though my list anyway)

• Science Solved it
  • Every Little Thing
  • Space (BBC)
  • The Unmade Podcast
  • Hackable
  • Moonshot
  • IRL
  • Hello Internet
  • Cortex
  • Grownups Read Things They Wrote As Kids
  • One Universe At A Time
  • History of Westeros
  • Radio Westeros
  • Titanium Physicists
  • Unattended Consequences
  • Davos’ Fingers
  • Cast of Thrones
  • Reply All
  • Mythical Astronomy of Ice and Fire
  • Tofugu Podcast

Some of these don’t post episodes anymore, but I don’t keep track of which do and don’t. Basically just those three that I listed previously.

4 Likes

that’s really cool actually . thanks for your effort putting all these together.
I listened to hibiki some time ago but didn’t understand much. I just started genki so I don’t know that much grammar.
how is it for you? do you understand most of the stuff they’re talking about?

I understand a lot now, but when I started listening to Japanese podcasts I didn’t understand much. I don’t think it matters a lot whether you do. You’re still learning through exposure. As soon as you learn a new word you’ll start hearing it, and in proper context too.

1 Like

I just want to add that the TangoRisto app, added a listening feature to the NHK easy news sections they have, so those can be some pretty easy practice for folk that are looking for some bite sized language bits they can workout.

2 Likes

@Kumirei do you have an archive link for Soko Ani? Their podcast RSS feed only goes back ~50 episodes, when it looks like there’s 500+?

1 Like

I had the same problem so I made this thread .
Don’t know if they fix it but I also would like to listen to the older episodes.

1 Like

Ugh, that’s depressing. Thank you.

1 Like

@hakusaro No, I only listen as they air

@Torao92 This is a different podcast

1 Like

@Kumirei @hakusaro oh my bad sorry . I misread that😅

Oh, my bad, I misread what you said. Oops.

@Kumirei oh well :confused:

[10 years later]

It seems to me, the most common Japanese podcasts toted around the internet aside from those at JapanesePod101 are Bilingual News, and ひいきびいき. I’ve tried both, and in my experience, the JP speaker in Bilingual news doesn’t speak enough Japanese for me to really learn something. The news section goes by so fast and is so in-depth that I can’t catch much of anything, and yet the rest of the time when she replies in Japanese, it’s usually simple replies and questions. I still love and enjoy the podcast, but I’m looking for something different.

I’ve tried ひいきびいき too, and found that there was much more Japanese then than I could comprehend, even though they talk slowly. So I was wondering if anybody knew of a happy-medium podcast that features more Japanese than Bilingual, but less than ひいきびいき? There has to be more that I’m missing.

3 Likes

that’s what I’ve been experiencing too. still love billingual news though :raised_hands:t5:

Just popping in to say that all the videos for 夏休み子ども科学電話相談 seem to be unavailable on the NHK site.

However this channel has, as far as I can tell, uploaded all of them.

1 Like

wow thanks alot :pray:t5: I’ll check them out

I enjoy this. There is one native speaker and a Brit, who lives in Japan. Each lesson is a simple task like “how to apologise” or “how to talk about my hometown”. They go through every single word of a short dialogue. They explain sentence ending particles. The emphasis is on conversation between friends and going beyond the textbook of polite speech. The web site has a PDF download of “show notes” - dialogue script and explanations.

They are not teaching grammar rules. Having studied Genki 1 and Genki 2, that was not a problem for me.

4 Likes