Listening Practice šŸŽ§ What do you listen to for Japanese practice?

I do the same, I rip the audio to put on my laptop then sync it to my phone and iPad, then I can listen to it anywhere. I can even listen while Iā€™m driving if I want to without having to worry about changing CDs.

It also means if I accidentally scratch the CD at least I have a backup of the audio.

1 Like

I love JFZ! The website is fantastic with the video lessons, quizzes, and games. To me, itā€™s well worth the $99 a year.

1 Like

Well, Iā€™m not exactly @Sarabrina 恕悓 ā€“ in fact, Iā€™m not @Sarabrina 恕悓 at all (though also a cat :cat2:), but what I personally like about Nihongo con Teppei for beginners (havenā€™t listened to Nihongo con Teppei original yet - plan to once I finish listening to the beginner podcasts):

• He speaks quite slowly (but not too slow) and often repeats himself. This makes listening to him very easy even for a clumsy inattentive cat like me :cat2:
  • Despite that, he sounds far more natural than many textbook records. Thatā€™s probably because he lets his emotions flow into his speech.
  • His podcasts are short - less than 5 minutes each. So, you can easily control how many you want to listen to in one day.
  • The subjects he chooses are quite interesting and vary a lot. He talks about everything really - from studying Japanese to coffee and love hotels (donā€™t worry, everything is SFW).

P. S. Btw, I didnā€™t find the option to download whole pageworth of podcasts, so I wrote a small Python script to do it:

import requests
import re

url = 'https://nihongoconteppei.com/page/4/'
path = 'E:\Docs\Japanese\Podcasts'

with requests.get(url) as r:
    contents = r.text

regexp = re.compile(r'http://media.blubrry.com/nihongo_con_teppei/s/nihongoconteppei.com/wp-content/uploads/\d{4}/\d{2}/.+?(\d+\.mp3)')

for res in regexp.finditer(contents):
    file_url = res.group()
    file_name = res.groups()[0]
    with requests.get(file_url) as r:
        with open(f'{path}/{file_name}', 'wb') as f:
            f.write(r.content)

All you need to do is to replace the path value with the path to the folder you want to save podcasts in. Also, if you need to load podcasts from other page - you would need to enter the address of that page into the url variable.

1 Like

My Sensei has started a youtube channel where she comments a gameplay of Final Fantasy 9, I like it a lot :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Since the Saezuru Tori wa Habatakanai book club is about to start tomorrow (!), I thought Iā€™d do another BLCD review for those interested in giving the Drama CD-series a try for listening practice.

Content warning! This drama CD series has adult content as does the manga! If thatā€™s not your thing, give this series a pass.

But if you donā€™t mind the themes of masochism, sex, yakuza, drug deals and physical violence, itā€™s in my opinion a great series that got a phenomenal audio drama adaption.

å›€ć‚‹é³„ćÆē¾½ć°ćŸć‹ćŖ恄 by Kou Yoneda

index

cover

Cast:
Yashiro: Tarusuke Shingaki
Chikara Doumeki: Wataru Hatano
Kanji Kageyama: Hiroki Yasumoto
Eishin Kuga: Yuki Ono
Takahito Misumi: Toru Okawa
Atsushi Ryuuzaki: Kenta Miyake
Kazuaki Hirata: Akimitsu Takase
Yuusuke Nanahara: Kazuyuki Okitsu
Hayato Sugimoto: Takahiro Miyake
Shizuma Amou: Takuya Sato

This adaption has got several big-name voice actors, such as Kenta Miyake (you might know him as All-Might from My Hero Academia), Toru Okawa (who played Roy Mustang in Fullmetal Alchemist, Saito in Ghost in the Shell, and a ton of other stuff), Wataru Hatano (played notable roles in animes such as Fairy Tail, Yowamushi Pedal: New Generation; Bungo Stray Dogs, My Hero Academia etc.).

The main character of Yashiro, played by Tarusuke Shingaki isnā€™t as well-known perhaps, though heā€™s also done voice acting in some pretty big anime series, like My Hero Academia (as Mirio Togata), Ghost in the Shell: Arise (as Togasa), Fate/Zero (as Kariya Matō and this role in particular is amazingly well done). Heā€™s also doing voice acting on various video games and a ton of more anime and drama CDs.

This is a great cast for this BLCD adaption, with seiyuus who are all well suited to their roles.

Story:
Yashiro is the young leader of a yakuza group. When heā€™s not dealing with the shady business of money extortion in the money loan business, he seeks out sex partners to serve his deep masochistic side. Starting work as a bodyguard for him is Chikara Doumeki and although Yashiro has decided to never lay a hand on his own men, he finds thereā€™s something about Doumeki that he canā€™t resist. A complicated relationship of sorts ensues while there is increasing turmoil within the yakuza group.

Review:
This is a wonderful adaption of the original manga. It diligently follows the original story and the characters have clearly been handled with great care. The sound production is well thought out and done. Suitable music, though they use a bit of classical music on CD1 (that does not reappear later on), probably because they just didnā€™t know the series would take off and having more music composed for the series is costly? But thankfully, Satieā€™s Gymnepedie (heard in 2 instances in the first CD) was dropped for original music moving forward. It certainly got a better composed soundtrack than some BLCDs, though itā€™s not particularly noteworthy perhaps. It just works.

Itā€™s worth noting thereā€™re several instances of karami (voice acting of sex scenes) and itā€™s full of the themes of masochism and sadism, which might not be everyoneā€™s cup of tea. But Shinaki Taruske is pretty darn good at this type of voice acting. XD (karami is frankly hard to do well, for male and female seiyuus both!). I can only applaud him for his hard work. And yeah, youā€™ll also hear Miyake Kenta being all sadistic during sex! :sweat_smile: That might not be how something you wanna think about when you hear him in different roles, as there is always this cross-pollination going on when you start recognizing actors. I think heā€™s amazing as Ryuuzaki, very rough and yakuza-ish! :hocho:

In some ways I feel the BLCDs are easier to digest than the manga, because the language isnā€™t that hard to follow, but in the manga, dialect, slang and casual grammar might trip you up while reading. Listening makes those expression seem natural and less challenging, imo.

I highly recommend this as it is a quality BLCD production. Itā€™s really about whether you like the themes, story and characters for this one, not quality issues that is not uncommon for other drama CDs.

Happy listening everyone! ^>^

1 Like

Just two Youtube channels I found and been watching a bit. No over the top, high pitched screaming Vtuber voice. Pleasant to listen to with clear audio quality and imo good enunciation.
恕恄ćØ恆ćŖ恊恍 Dude talks about drawing/illustrating.
ę–‡å­¦YouTuberćƒ™ćƒ« She reviews books.

Also found this podcast.
Think in Japanese Two humans talking about various topics. One has good audio and speaks a bit slower, the other one has rather bad audio and speaks faster.

4 Likes

:sweat_smile:

4 Likes

As a followup, Iā€™d like to point you all to Kiryuu Coco.

Sheā€™s sometimes a little bit hyper, and her voice takes some getting used to, but because sheā€™s bilingual and makes a huge effort to cross the language barrier between JP Vtubers and their English-speaking following, she makes for great listening practice.

Unfortunately, as of today, she has graduated, so there will be no more new content. But her old content will remain up, so it still makes for good practice. Especially her Reddit Shitpost Review streams are great, because they revolve around explaining English memes to Japanese VTubers, giving you a lot of context for what is being discussed.

3 Likes

Thanks for telling us about this @yamitenshi! <3 Itā€™s very helpful to people keeping track of Japanese VTubers! ^>^

2 Likes

Hey, if thereā€™s one thing Iā€™m passionate about, itā€™s VTubers!
And food
And video games

Okay maybe Iā€™m passionate about a lot of things :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Anyway, for anyone interested in VTuber stuff (a lot of it makes for decent listening practice, honestly, and though all of them put on a persona to some degree the conversations flow fairly naturally a lot of the time), check out the VTubers thread:

https://community.wanikani.com/t/vtubers-anyone/47228

Itā€™s a wonderful rabbit hole to fall into. The more, the merrier :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

3 Likes

I hope everyone whoā€™s into Japanese audio media knows about the ongoing Extensive listening challenge šŸ‘‚ (2021) that @valkow kindly has set up for us! ^>^

Iā€™ve created quite a list of Drama CD-series to get through within 12 months. But I donā€™t think itā€™s impossible. Not the least since Iā€™ve already gotten started on it! :triumph:

So, last night I began by listening to ćƒ€ćƒ–ćƒ«ćƒ»ćƒć‚¤ćƒ³ćƒ‰! ^>^ :headphones:

515N9xEeBUL.AC_SY355

CAST:
Toshiyuki Morikawa
Kazuyuki Okitsu
Tooru Ookawa
Tatsuhisa Suzuki
among others

This BLCD is a murder mystery. The main character, Kamijo is a police detective tasked with solving a gruesome murder where a man has been starved to death (with some rather unusual body mutilation thrown in :sweat_smile: ). At the crime scene, the first witness happens to be a young boy.

Desperate for leads, Kamijo seeks to question the boy, only to be faced with his guardian, a clinical psychologist called Sena, who do not want to put the boy through that sort of stress. The reason is that the boy is struggling with mental disease (spoiler) (multiple personality disorder) and seemingly canā€™t remember anything from the time.

It quickly also becomes clear that Sena and Kamijo knows each other from their school kendo club, though itā€™s been 15 years since theyā€™ve met (something like that). And Sena is little inclined to let the police question the boy heā€™s been charged to help.

This is how this story kicks off, only to become even more complicated as the police suspects another abduction of a yakuza member, to be yet a murder in the makingā€¦dun dun dun

If you like murder mystery, this BLCD might be for you. It has a calm air which I love, as we get to follow Kamijoā€™s internal monologues of struggles with the case. Thereā€™s some good music and sfx as well, but, the best part is definitely the cast. :eyes:

1309datte_cast2
Kazuyuki Okitsu (left) & Toshiyuki Morikawa (right)

Toshiyuki Morikawa and Kazuyuki Okitsu are fabulous together. They have a unique rapport, not just on this Drama CD but also others Iā€™ve listened to, where they just play off on each otherā€™s roles. It makes for a very fun listening experience! :grin: (Sena is tsutsuntsun-ing his way through the dialogue, giving Kamijo a really hard time and putting him constantly on the wrong foot! :joy: Heā€™s also an outgoing gay man and Kamijo keeps being flustered by him. :grin: )

But, thereā€™s also a side story of sorts, of the Yakuza gang that inadvertently finds a member of theirs abducted. The yakuza boss (played by Tooru Ookawa) and his younger lover (played by Tatsuhisa Suzuki) makes for a great counterpoint to the main plot. Not the least since Tatsuhisa Suzuki is doing one of his best acting jobs ever!!! :heart: Heā€™s gob smacking amazing as a former junkie, now turned clean, but struggling to find a place at the side the yakuza boss. He totally made me tear up in the special, where the yakuza boss and the lover are the main characters. :sob:

Is there karami? Of course there is! :blush: Itā€™s done well as well.

This story has a lot of crime solving terminology, not to mention the whole mental disease theme running through the whole story, with several technical terms being flung around at times. It can be a struggle to keep up. But, itā€™s good enough that a relisten to difficult parts should be a joy rather than a bother. :wink:

Iā€™d consider this BLCD to be somewhere between Intermediate/Advanced. (a little bit depending on how much other listening youā€™ve done, I think).

In any case, I can warmly recommend it! ^>^

listening cat

2 Likes

Can you point me to an online example of a ā€œvoiced visual novelā€, and then I can track down more myself? I havenā€™t seen one of those, but they sound great!

Total beginner question here: are BLCDs, audiodrama CDs, really CDs? (I hope notā€¦)

Where is the central marketplace for them so I can nose around?

Thanks.

So, Drama CDs are exactly what they sound like: CDs with audio dramas, where BLCDs are the subgenre for boysā€™ love stories. (in the 90s the releases were on cassette tapes though! :joy: )

Drama CDs are not ā€œvoiced visual novelsā€, something I have no experience of myself. @riya might be able to better explain it. :slight_smile:
But, yeah, Drama CDs are all adaptions, much like anime is, but without the visuals. Either itā€™s based on visual novels or manga (sometimes also video games, or even anime).

You might call it the cheap alternative to getting an anime adaption, for semi-popular series.

The Japanese music business is not known for being very forward looking, and Iā€™ve seen the lack of mp3-download options, like iTunes, discussed before. CDs and singles are still popular release formats for music.

You can find Drama CDs on Amazon JP among other places. Just search for it. Iā€™ve only used Amazon, because I usually buy manga and BLCDs in some kind of mix. But other sellers exist for international delivery. Just google.

2 Likes

There are all sorts of visual novels with Japanese voice acting. Itā€™s quite common for visual novels, aside from indie releases, to have voice acting for all the characters (sometimes the protagonist is left unvoiced). Depending on what platforms you have access to I can try to find stuff to recommend?

For an example, this is a playthrough of ć²ćć‚‰ć—ć®ćŖćé ƒć« on the Switch where you can hear the voice acting: ć€Žć²ćć‚‰ć—ć®ćŖćé ƒć« å„‰ć€å®Ÿę³ćƒ—ćƒ¬ć‚¤Part2 - YouTube
The commentator also reads along with the unvoiced lines and because itā€™s on Youtube, you can slow down the speed.

If you want a huge list, you can check out the visual novel database (although the sheer number can get kinda overwhelming): Browse visual novels | vndb

2 Likes

Thanks thatā€™s a great database. In the last day, Iā€™ve tracked down what visual novels are, opened a Steam account (I havenā€™t been a gamer thus far in may life, but Iā€™m open to changeā€¦), and bought DRAMAtical Murder because it was so highly recommended by @ekg (and since it was from 2012, I was confident it would run on my windows 7 laptop), and pre-ordered ā€œthe Great Ace Attorney Chroniclesā€ to be released sometime in July.

Visual novels that I might enjoy (who knows, Iā€™m so new to the genre) would be ā€œmale protagonist, historical, but not samurai, any part of the worldā€ or ā€œany gender protagonist, whimsical, non-violent, slice-of-Japanese-lifeā€. I tend to prefer, more realistic less ā€œanime likeā€ animation. If you know any titles that you think might appeal, please let me know.

Now, the DRAMAtical Murders I downloaded - has spoken Japanese, but only English subtitles, with no way to call up the Japanese. Is this common? Where would it be best to purchase future visual novels if I wanted both English and Japanese? Or is that not possible - if I purchase from a Japanese retailer I get only Japanese and from a U.S. retailer only English?

2 Likes

You can see the available languages on the store page. Itā€™s really a 50/50 if they have JP interface, but it seems to be becoming more common. You can probably still refund the game, if you like.

Is there a way to filter voice acted novels? For some reason there doesnā€™t seem to be a tag for that. I still find the majority of VNs are not fully voice acted. Or maybe Iā€™m looking at the wrong place. Lotā€™s of the famous older ones are.

3 Likes

@Todd_A Unfortunately the Ace Attorney games donā€™t have much voice acting outside of cutscenes as far as I know. Theyā€™re still great games though!

Hmm Iā€™m not as familiar with Steam since I primarily play Japanese games on my Vita. Itā€™s hard to find ones with both English and Japanese. Umineko has both and you can get voice acting to work if you install the third-party PS3 version patch but itā€™s not exactly an easy read. Most Japanese visual novels are PC-only and I have a Mac so I donā€™t have access to a lot of stuff.

I havenā€™t played Dramatical Murder but itā€™s too bad there isnā€™t a Japanese-text Steam version out there. There can be mismatches like that sometimes based on licensing and ports. Typically, if you buy the Japanese version of a game, especially if itā€™s originally in Japanese, it will only have Japanese language options. English ports of Japanese games are typically English text translations with Japanese voice acting, although there are more options on Steam. If you want both Japanese and English text with Japanese voice acting, that does narrow it down.

Hmm, I mostly play historic fiction, otome games, and mystery novels so my slice of life knowledge is rather lacking. Itā€™s too bad you donā€™t like samurai stuff because I would have otherwise recommended Hakuoki (which is both English and Japanese and has voice acting) but itā€™s about the Shinsengumi

Itā€™s a bit hard to think of anything that hits all of this criteria. Steins;Gate is another one that comes to mind but thatā€™s more a sci fi time travel thing.

Ah, I thought the link I shared had the ā€œvoice actingā€ tag on it but maybe I messed up somewhere. I canā€™t speak for a lot of indie JP VNs since I donā€™t have said PC to play them on so my experience with VNs comes from stuff that gets released on handheld consoles which is almost always voiced. As far as stuff on Steam goes, it probably depends on if itā€™s a port or not.

By ā€œfullyā€ voice acted do you mean including the narration? Or just that all lines of dialogue by non-protagonist characters is voiced?

2 Likes

Even just the walkthroughs you pointed out on Youtube might be enough to satisfy my interest at this point, until I get to the level where I want to start hooking sentences for an anki deck myself. Iā€™ve seen folks do some pretty exciting sentence mining in online tutorials.

Iā€™'m open to any gaming system I can run off my laptop, Google slate tablet, or even I suppose, my seldom used iPad, so suggest anything you like. I am in no way tied to Steam. I just donā€™t have any game consoles.

What does the term ā€œportā€ mean that youā€™ve used above? I get gist, butā€¦

The new Ace Attorney Chronicles look like they are set in Meiji Japan, which really piques my interest.bAnd Iā€™ll give a look to Hakuoki too, any good story is likely to carry me along. The BLCD that @ekg described ā€œFlesh and Bloodā€ sounds fantastic (I was a big fan of the Patrick Oā€™Brian historical seafaring novels as audiobooks - all 22 of them!), now if only ā€œFlesh and Bloodā€ had a visual novel adaptation I could sink my teeth into to study some vocabulary!

2 Likes

No, just the dialogue. I guess it can be just the difference in Vita and PC.

It does seem to have the tag, but itā€™s a bit unclear to what extent of voice acting that means. Sometimes the characters throw some random sentences in there so Iā€™m not sure if that counts as worthy of the voice acting tag. Fruits of Grisaia comes to mind. And Danganronpa. And Danganronpa seems to have the tag while itā€™s barely voice acted. The researching I need to do just adds to the stress of never finding a fitting VN :sweat_smile:. Not to mention platform problems.

Having requirements of a VN being fully voice acted and not a romance story, I guess my options are kind of limited :smile:. AI: Somnium Files was amazing, though. It had everything; comedy, mystery and science. So if you have some mystery recommendations :pray:. On the other end of the spectrum, I looked into Dies Irae, which seemed interesting, but the almost 100 hour length is a bit intimidating. Especially with the archaic language :stuck_out_tongue:.

2 Likes