Extensive listening challenge 👂 (2021)

Inspired by the extensive reading challenge, here is the extensive listening challenge!

This is a place to make goals related to listening comprehension. If we practice listening more now, we’ll be able to understand more later, right? You decide what the medium is (anime, dramas, podcasts, etc) and what your subtitle method is (native language, Japanese, none at all). If you’ve been keeping track already, you could make goals for all of 2021, or you could start now and have goals for the final six months.

Feel free to use this thread to introduce yourself and your goals, to discuss what you’re watching and listening to, and to describe any particular difficulties or triumphs when it comes to Japanese listening comprehension. Giving or requesting recommendations for material is also encouraged. There are also other threads about listening material on the forums, with a recent one being here.

Spoilers welcome so long as you tag them.

Super long discussions could go in one of these

like this.

Maybe more words here later or maybe this is enough that you get the gist.

18 Likes

Extensive listening, belated 2021 edition!

Copy the Sample Username section and edit in your information. You can have goals for each type of listening, a single type, or anywhere in between.

Read me
  • Your goals can be for what time period you’d like
    • Some ideas for that column: Yearly Goal, 6-Month Goal, Overall Goal
  • If you’d like:
    • move lines around to fit your priorities
    • delete lines if you aren’t using them
    • change counters (episodes, hours, etc) to reflect your goals
    • make text (like your username) into links
  • For your current recommendation, please only put a title
    • If you’d like to add a reason or review, post it in the thread and then link to it in the table
    • Change your recommendation as often as you’d like
  • Please keep the tables in the post alphabetical by username
  • Please don’t edit the sample table
  • Audiobooks could go here or in the extended reading challenge
Sample table with sample entries

Sample Username

|Medium|6-month goal|Subtitles|Current focus|Current progress|Current recommendation|Last updated|
|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|
|Dramas|1 / 5 series|English|ケイゾク 2: SPEC|5 / 10|(something you liked)|Jul 1|
|Anime|4 / 50 episodes|Japanese|海月姫|10 / 11|(perhaps with a link)|Jul 1|
|Podcasts|3 / 10 episodes|None|ひいきびいき|12 / 280|(or link to review)|Jul 1|
|Movies|0 / 5 movies|Spanish|ジブリ|千と千尋の神隠し||Jul 1|
|Audiobooks|1 / 12 books|With text|容疑者Xの献身|52%||Jul 1|
|Variety shows|0 / 30 episodes|Japanese|月曜から夜ふかし|0 / ?||Jul 1|
|Drama CDs|10 / 18 CDs||三千世界の鴉を殺し|2 / 10||Jul 1|
|Anything|80 / 500 minutes|None|Random Youtube|N/A||Jul 1||
|||||||||

ekg

Medium Yearly goal Title Current progress Links Last updated
Anime 136/136 episodes 美味しんぼ 80/136 美味しんぼ - Wikipedia 27 January
Drama CD 5/5 CDs BORDER 0/5 BORDER 境界線2巻限定版ミニドラマCD付 - BLCD Wiki* 1 July
Drama CD 2/2 CDs ダブル・バインド 2/2 ダブル・バインド 1 - BLCD Wiki* 2 August
Drama CD 3/3 CDs だってまおうさまは彼が嫌い 2/3 だってまおうさまは彼が嫌い - BLCD Wiki* 14 November
Drama CD 21/21 CDs FLESH&BLOOD 0/21 BLCD Wiki - FLESH & BLOOD 1 July
Drama CD 13/13 Specials FLESH&BLOOD 0/13 BLCD Wiki - FLESH & BLOOD 1 July
Drama CD 1/6 CDs 言ノ葉ノ花 0/1 言ノ葉ノ花 - BLCD Wiki* 1 July
Drama CD 7/7 CDs 囀る鳥は羽ばたかない 6/7 囀る鳥は羽ばたかない - BLCD Wiki* 30 December
Drama CD 3/3 CDs 最後のドアを閉めろ! 0/3 BLCD Wiki - 最後のドアを閉めろ! 1 July
Drama CD 18/18 CDs 三千世界の鴉を殺し 10/11 三千世界の鴉を殺し - BLCD Wiki* 30 December
Drama CD 17/17 Specials 三千世界の鴉を殺し 0/17 三千世界の鴉を殺し - BLCD Wiki* 1 July
Drama CD 7/7 CDs しなやかな熱情 1/7 しなやかな熱情 - BLCD Wiki* 1 July
Drama CD 3/3 specials しなやかな熱情 0/3 しなやかな熱情 - BLCD Wiki* 1 July
Drama CD 6 CDs Vassalord 2/6 ヴァッサロード 27 January
Drama CD ? Specials Vassalord 1/? ヴァッサロード 27 January
Radio special 2/2 K - Project 0/2 K (TV) - Anime News Network 1 July
Podcast 30/735 episodes 神谷浩史・小野大輔のDearGirl~Stories~ 0/735 Dear Girl: Stories - Wikipedia 1 July
Game 1 二の国 ongoing 2 August

Miraigajettolab

|Medium| Until the end of summer | Yearly goal |Subtitles|Current focus|Current progress| Pace |Last updated|
|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|
|Vtubers|160/160 hours (reached) | 400/400 hours |none| hololive |160/400| 2 hours a day |28 August|
|||||||||

nemuitanuki

|Medium|6 months goal|Subtitles|Current focus|Current progress|Current recommendation|Last updated|
|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|
|anime|no goal|None|oishinbo|4|美味しんぼ|July 3|
|Vtubers|no goal|None|none|1|none|July 3|
|||||||||

rodan

|Medium|6-month goal|Subtitles|Current focus|Current progress|Current recommendation|Last updated|
|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|
|Tokusatsu|4 / 4 series|None?|?||怪奇大作戦|Nov 28|
|Subtitled shows|2 / 2 series|Japanese|n/a|||Oct 15|
|Nonsubtitled Anything|1 / 1 ?|None|? |||Nov 21|
|Movies|18/5|Varies|?||怪談|Dec 13|
|Podcasts|9.5/4 episodes|None|新日本プロレス presents プロレス聴こうぜ!|||Jul 31|
|Wrestling shows with commentary|6/1 event|None|World Wonder Ring Stardom|||Dec 18|
|||||||||

Scylie

|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|
|Podcasts|6 / 75 episodes|None|Let’s talk in Japanese!|||Jul 18|
|Podcasts|3 / 75 episodes|Japanese|YUYUの日本語||YUYUの日本語|^|
|Anime|3 / 20 episodes|none||||^|
|SatoriReader Audio (sort of-Audiobooks)|0 / 4 series|None|奥日光|11/62||^|
|Anything|30 / 1000 minutes|None|Random Youtube Videos|||^||
|||||||||

valkow

|Medium|Yearly goal|Subtitles|Current focus|Current progress|Current recommendation|Last updated|
|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|
|Variety shows|367 / 365 episodes|Varies|:100:|||Dec 31|
|Dramas|21 / 20 series|None|:100:||ハコヅメ|Dec 3|
|Anime|15 / 10 episodes|None|:100:||海月姫|Dec 3|
|Audiobooks|13 / 12 books|None|:100:|||Dec 3|

• Feedback welcome at any time.
7 Likes

How to access things, recommendations, or something else here?

1 Like

I don’t remember if anyone else expressed interest, but I will at least tag: @Naphthalene, just in case.

2 Likes

:tada: I’m really happy to see you actually make this thread!

I was thinking I should make an effort to do more of exactly this kind of stuff, and I’m also curious to hear about where to find material, what people people are watching, etc. So thanks!
I’ll be sure to add to the wiki when it’s wikified! With more modest goals than the reading one…

7 Likes

Thank you! And yay, it will be good to have companions on the long listening comprehension journey. :woman_juggling: (<–figuratively juggling all the information my ears are trying to keep up with in Japanese) I’m looking forward to seeing what you add as goals!

And that would make this the place that I ask one of the @Mods to please make the second post into a wiki.

4 Likes

So, we should all add ourselves after your post in the wiki, right? Also, I think you really need a Drama CD category as that’s my main source of listening practice. It doesn’t seem like people are much listening to them here on WK, but it’s a huge source of listening media if you’re interested with new drama CDs released every month! :eyes:

I don’t think you have to worry about copy paste of the format, as that will be possible if you can access the wiki post.

1 Like

I’m interested in joining! Not quite sure what my goals are yet, but it would be nice to get recommendations and track what materials I consume.

1 Like

@ekg Ooh, drama CDs! I’m happy to add that. I assume the counter would be episodes? And what’s a sample title I could use? :grin:

@cineebon Awesome, welcome!

No it couldn’t be episodes. The counter would be “track”. Each CD works like normal CDs do and the tracks…they don’t really correspond to “chapter” in the source material, like a manga or light novel series. It’s made to make more sense from a listening perspective I guess, as the adaption might have to change stuff around in the story.

I’ll be right back with an example Drama CD! :wink:

1 Like

@valkow just noticed you’re counting whole books so maybe just count number of CDs? Though, I think for many, they might do a certain number of “tracks” per day, rather than a whole CD. :thinking:

Anyway, examples

Medium 6-month goal Subtitles Current focus Current progress Current recommendation Last updated
Drama CD 10/18 CDs - 三千世界の鴉を殺し 2/10 三千世界の鴉を殺し - BLCD Wiki* 1 July
Drama CD 21/21 CDs - FLESH&BLOOD 1/10 FLESH&BLOOD 1 - BLCD Wiki* 1 July

I just realized drama CDs are a complicated business. They often make “specials” outside of the main series, and that means breaking up the numbering…

For example Flesh & Blood

Summary

Or Sanzen Sekai

Summary

I’m not sure how to handle this with the current formatting.^^; Is the goal for Sanzen Sekai 18 CD? What about the huge number of specials that were released later?
I guess, it IS possible to put any specials as a separate post…something like:

Drama CD | 10/18 CDs | - | 三千世界の鴉を殺し | 2/10 | 三千世界の鴉を殺し - BLCD Wiki* | 1 July |
Drama CD | 8/17 Specials | - | 三千世界の鴉を殺し | 3/17 | 三千世界の鴉を殺し - BLCD Wiki* | 1 July |

1 Like

Thank you so much for the information! I have added a line for drama CDs to the sample table. As for counters and numbering and goals and all that stuff, I think each person could decide that on their own. If they wanted to count a special as part of the number, they could, and if they wanted to use a different counter (like hours or tracks), they could. Whatever makes sense to the person making the goals. :grin:

1 Like

I guess. Though counting it as part of a series doesn’t make any sense. It’s not like Specials are OVA. For example Hunter x Hunter got continued through several separate OVA series after the initial anime ended.

In the cases of Flesh & Blood or Sanzen Sekai, they are really “Specials” much like you can have specials for anime. Meaning, they are stand alone pieces that don’t continue the story, but just exists in the same fictional world. The Gintama Specials aren’t considered part of Gintama the anime series, for example. They exist outside of it.

I just wanted to give a bit of explanation or context as it might not be obvious is you haven’t listened to long running Audio Dramas like these.

(shorter ones, generally speaking, don’t get specials, they can however have Freetalk CDs, which is the voice actors chatting away about the show after the recording sessions are over).

1 Like

That all makes sense. I definitely don’t know enough about drama CDs to contribute to figuring all that out, lol, so I’ll leave it to you to decide for yourself. I did have the thought that the listener could also just leave the counter part out and say something like 1 / 10, defining that however they’d like. Or they could just switch back to something definable like minutes or hours. :grin:

1 Like

Great idea, thanks for setting this up!

Actually, I must confess that the only listening I’m currently doing is when I talk to Japanese language partners and friends… Should this go in the “Anything” category? Or is this not proper “listening” at all since real persons will usually adapt to my needs and so it’s not an objective medium?

2 Likes

That might be the most effective listening practice of all! :grin: In terms of extensive listening, my first instinct is that talking with people would be (as a skill) conversation, which of course includes (the skill) listening. However, I don’t feel super strongly about it and am willing to cede to your feelings about your own listening goals.

2 Likes

I really want to work on my listening but I don’t really know where to start so I’ll be following this thread for some inspiration for now :smiley: In about a month my life should become less busy so I’ll probably wait until then to set some actual goals, I’m already glad this thread exists though!

4 Likes

You should start with the Saezuru Tori Drama CDs! :wink: Track 1-2, CD1, is chapter 1 :“Don’t stay Gold”

2 Likes

At this point we could probably start taking bets on how much time is left until I finally buy those CDs… :joy:

2 Likes

I believe people in the language learning community (including me) plan too much. You could’ve gotten so much input by not planning it out so extensively.

1 Like