🔊 🎙 Listen Every Day Challenge - Winter 2023 ❄ 🧤

personally working on 1-10 and 1-100 at the moment!

5 Likes

:headphones: :desktop_computer: :sound: :snowflake: January 30

Listened to Teppei for beginners #36 and played over an hour of BU$TAFELLOWS.

12 Likes

At least onomatopoeia will be covered by your friendly neighborhood’s Onomatope-ya once it’s done. I’m really looking forward to that one.

8 Likes

:snowflake: Day 31, 31st of January :snowflake:

:headphones: Back to my Home Post

I tried out this episode of Barista Simulator by 牛沢 today. Solo comentary and very clear and steady flow of narration. Pleasant to listen to, though again I didn’t see any game I was interested in. Like the other channel, something to listen to in the background.

15 Likes

Nothing new really, just doing active immersion of Shin Chan after work and then relisten to the episodes on my way to work the next morning. Its fun, I am understanding more and more. Some days I feel like I cant understand and other days I understand some.

13 Likes

Today I watched an episode of Season 2 of The Way of the House Husband. I was trying to watch it with Japanese Subs but I didnt understand much without checking the english subtitles. Still, I managed to understand some bits, and thats better than nothing!

(Home Post)

It’s quite fun, but definitely better as a casual thing for reviewing vocab rather than trying to use it to learn anything new.
There are some fun mini games, like having to serve customers the items they ask for in a shop, and a treasure hunting game where you need to follow directions and that sort of thing.

The main issue for me has been that its pretty buggy - I’ve had a lot of instances of random buttons on my controller stopping working, and interact-able objects failing to respond, and moving around and grabbing items can feel a bit janky. The grabbing in particular can get pretty frustrating when you are in a timed minigame and you are struggling to grab an item you need!

So overall, I’d say its worth at least trying out the demo on Steam since its free - but unless you are really keen to play it its probably worth waiting for them to patch some of the bugs first!

14 Likes

:headphones: :desktop_computer: :sound: :snowflake: January 31

Listened to Teppei for beginners #37 and #38, plus played BU$TAFELLOWS about 1.5h.

The month is over! I kinda started this challenge just to try so I’m a bit surprised I didn’t miss a single day. I’ve been doing it mostly low-effort but even like that I feel like it’s helped, so although I initially planned to do it just for January I’m going to continue for February as well.

14 Likes

Listened to a few episodes of my new bff teppei whilst walking the dog at lunch time (she met some nice little dogs but they didn’t want to do anything other than sniff-greet) and during my mid-morning break. Can only remember the last one where he’s saying how his spanish wife has passed N2 and some tips on JLPT studying - read a lot, listen a lot.

Oh, as that was the most recent episode, I let the spotify play run and it played a couple more podcasts by people I don’t normally listen to, who was it? akane and yuyu. The Akane one was ok, more difficult than teppei but not too bad. The yuyu one felt like natural japanese speed (please don’t tell me he slows it down!) and was interesting to listen to but I didn’t understand much - though I felt cool, it’s definitely where I’d like to get my level to (いつか!)

14 Likes

Feb 1, Wed of Week 6 of Winter Q1 2023 :snowman::snowflake:

Death Note EP.22-24. Thus finished the current volume in book club. Someone to say goodbye.

So-matome N2 Listening Ch.1 [3/5]. Keigo. I did pretty well. お見え is new to me.

聞くだけで一気にわかる日本史 (Japan history) : 旧石器・縄文・弥生.

14 Likes

:snowman: :snowflake: February 1 :snowflake: :snowman: :speaker:
Home Post

Sayuri says everyday :tanabata_tree:

Three episodes again. Microwave, flipflops and 喧嘩(けんか). Was a bit distracted during the kenka one because my 6 month old kitten found it a bit too cold outside today so I kinda missed a lot of it while we went back inside. (I take him outside in a harness every so often.)

13 Likes

:snowflake: Day 32, 1st of February :snowflake:

Listened to two episodes of White Shadow played by 花江夏樹, it was a limbo-like and therefore understandable without commentary.

It seems their usual faire is horror or spooky games, as well as playing with three other people. I didn’t want to brave that chaos yet, but I like watching horror games because the commentator is mostly irrelevant there. Maybe I’ll do some more from this channel for listening practice later.

I think I will try to do some Genki listening exercises for the rest of the month, though. I did the listening exercises for chapter 3, and the last one was a bit too much for my sleepy brain. I got the gist (Mary is declining any invitations from this guy by using several different excuses and it’s very funny) but not the specifics. Maybe tomorrow I can try again.

14 Likes

February 1st :arrow_forward:

A few booktuber videos again. I was planning to do more listening but time sort of disappeared on me today. Hopefully tomorrow.

14 Likes

February 1st!

Today I had a bright idea.
“Hey,” I thought, “I keep saying I don’t have enough time for exercise because I’m busy learning Japanese - why not find a cardio workout in Japanese on Youtube and use that for listening practise?”

40 minutes later, I’m completely exhausted and I don’t know how much Japanese I managed to listen to overall, but I’m certainly never going to forget
あとちょと! 止まらないで! or もうちょい頑張って!
And I will live in fear forever of the phrase 地獄の腹筋タイム。

(Home Page)

19 Likes

Very funny post. すぐムキムキ体調になるんですねぇぇ (I’ve been wanting to use ムキムキ since I heard Teppei say it - thanks for giving me an excuse)

Listened to the most recent Teppei episode whilst cooking dinner (he’d approve as he’s always talking about listening to podcasts whilst doing other things). Then listened to an episode of ‘listening with Shun’ about world war two. For a podcast that proclaims it’s aimed at Genki 1 students, I find it quite difficult and it required multiple listens before the fog started to clear.

Dinner was also fine, just a cheeky wednesday night spag bol.

14 Likes

:headphones: :desktop_computer: :sound: :snowflake: February 1

Listened to Teppei for beginners #39 and #40, and played BU$TAFELLOWS for half an hour.

14 Likes

Feb 2, Thu of Week 6 of Winter Q1 2023 :snowman::snowflake:

So-matome N2 Listening Ch.1 [4/5]. Conventional phrases. Like grammar, but kinda works pretty well with a very short explanation.

Death Note EP.25 :orthodox_cross:

ガラスのうさぎ [11/18].

聞くだけで一気にわかる日本史 (Japan history) : 古墳

13 Likes

:snowflake: Day 33, 2nd of February :snowflake:

Listening exercise from last time, as well as the chapter intro dialogue for chapter 4 of Genki. While it is very easy material with all known vocab, it’s still hard to follow because it takes some times to remember the meaning of various words /phrases. I think listening to past dialogues on the regular might help?

I need to not only get familiar with vocab, but also how that vocab sounds. It’s easy to recognize a Kanji and say “I know that! That means X, Y or Z”, but a whole 'nother wheelhouse to hear it and have the same experience. And while listening comprehension isn’t high up on my list of goals, being able to understand Japanese gaming videos might be nice…

14 Likes

February 2nd :film_strip:

An episode and a half of Quartet. Today’s random conversation was about the etiquette of wearing stripes, and how it’s not okay to talk about a different food than the one you’re currently eating. Among other things. Backstories are starting to be teased. I don’t know where it’s going but I’ll keep watching.
And they continue to speak very clearly.

14 Likes

So I really have been sleeping on Miku Real Japanese huh? I am not a podcast lover and only use them as they are the “simplest” input method. But since I need something that I can get away with while desk warming at school (ALT life) I did a deep dive into youtube and realized that her upbeat personality makes listening very fun. I do speed up the audit to 1.25 as I am living in Japan and need improvements as soon as possible.

But yea, don’t sleep on her.

16 Likes

February 2nd!

Today I played a bit of Noun Town again, and also listened to en episode of Nihongo con Teppei for Beginners.
I might need to re-listen to the Nihongo con Teppei episode though. I’m very tired this evening so I kept drifting off to sleep when I was trying to listen.

(Home Post)

14 Likes