Teppei for beginners #32

:headphones: :desktop_computer: :sound: :snowflake: January 28

Teppei for beginners #33 and #34, plus over 1.5h of BU$TAFELLOWS

:headphones: :desktop_computer: :sound: :snowflake: January 29

Teppei for beginners #35, and over 1h of BU$TAFELLOWS

14 Likes

Jan 30, Mon of Week 6 of Winter Q1 2023 :snowman::snowflake:

ガラスのうさぎ [9/18].

Death Note EP.17-18. Now, I intend to finish the series. At least, watching should precede reading. Not really fully listening, and I probably won’t rewind, using JP subtitle along, focusing on the flow. (Today, I paused a little though.)

So-matome N2 Listening Ch.1 [1/5]. Pronunciation understanding exercise. In my mind, it’s pretty easy if vocabularies are known.

13 Likes

I too really suck at comprehending numbers, dates and times. It’s just too quick, if I’m caught unaware, they are already on the tens and single digits… hangon hangon what were the thousands and hundreds again…

Have you come across this site for practicing listening to numbers?

https://langpractice.com/japanese/

13 Likes

I’ve been doing some of my podcast playlist but without any transcribed audio.
Been doing the teppei spotify playlist a bit.
Started a bit of the shikanzen master n4 listening book. Listened to the audio of some low level graded readers… Trying to mix it up a bit which is quite difficult to do at a low level of ability.
Why is language learning such a bloody emotional rollercoaster? The elation of hearing and recognising a new word or phase, and the depths of despair at not understanding a sausage of the last few seconds (minutes!) of dialogue.

15 Likes

:snowman: :snowflake: January 30 :snowflake: :snowman: :speaker:
Home Post

Comprehensible Japanese, Intermediate :shinto_shrine: ドラえもんのひみつ道具 episode

I think could count the unknown words in that episode (that wasn’t explained) on one hand. That is pretty cool, but it also means I’m getting to the stage where I need more entertaining material. I noticed that with reading too. As it became less laborsome to understand, the content became more important.

I guess it is a good problem to have, but also, it usually means finding new resources, ones that are at the right level. *le sigh* (Also yay!)

Well, I’ll keep with comprehensible Japanese until I finish the playlist I think. It is currently the only listening I do at the computer (everything else I listen to when out for walks and such). I just know this is like a signal to myself that when I go looking for new material, I will really need to look for stuff that actually interest me content-wise, as well stuff at the right level of difficulty.

14 Likes

January 30th!

Today I listened to an episode of Nihongo con Teppei for Beginners.

I’ve also been playing a VR game recently called Noun Town so I did a little bit of listening practise through that too.

(Home Post)

15 Likes

Same same. And by “harder time” I mean “I understood almost nothing”. But in typical マタタビムービーラボ fashion, it was still amusing.

Why… why would anybody think that’s a good idea? :fearful:

Oooh, that’s really nice, thanks for sharing! The only thing missing there are phone numbers (so lots of single digits read quickly after each other).

How was it? I’m usually pretty disappointed by language learning games and their attempts to make language learning “fun”, but this one actually might be pretty nice from what I can see on Steam?

The last few days:

• Friday:

• 8 Minutes of a Hololive stream (https://youtu.be/qaBlE0SFKyg?t=1087, 18:07 - 26:00) I was curious about. Pretty fun, and I feel like I understood a lot - certainly enough to follow and enjoy what was going on - although a good amount of details were probably lost on me.
  • Saturday:

• 1x Comprehensible Japanese Beginner. I wasn’t really motivated, so I chose a random short one, and I got so bored by both the content and the difficulty level that I was barely listening. That’s what I get for trying to slack off.

• マタタビムービーラボ - fun, but I barely understood anything.

• Sunday:

• Today:

13 Likes

Listened to some Teppei episodes during lunchtime. Included an episode plugging his patreon. Signed up as I’ve been listening a lot to his podcast recently and it’s only fair. When I looked at my emails this morning, actually had a message from the man himself thanking me. :star_struck:

18 Likes

January 30 :arrow_forward:
Just a few random booktuber videos that I started but never finished. I’ll still count it, but just barely.

January 31 :arrow_forward: :headphones:
A couple more book videos, and a couple of hours of かがみの孤城 audiobook. This was very much passive listening as I was working on something that didn’t require too much brainpower. I was therefore very surprised that whole sentences entered my brain uninvited, while I wasn’t even paying proper attention! I think this is a major breakthrough: brain officially processes Japanese input in the background, and lets me know, just as would happen with other languages I understand. I’m so happy that regularly bombarding my ears with Japanese works in the long run, even without any conscious effort to decipher what I’m hearing, or, you know, hard work:partying_face:

(I’m still not at the point where I could just leisurely listen to an audiobook and get most of it, but I’m definitely on the way there)

16 Likes

:snowman: :snowflake: January 31 :snowflake: :snowman: :speaker:
Home Post

Sayuri Saying Everyday :tanabata_tree:

Listened to three episodes about blood donation, hobbies, and something that apparently made no impression on my memory at all. Despite the fact that I just finished listening to them. It was short, like 2 minutes, that is all I can remember. xD

The blood donation episode definitely had words in it that I didn’t get so I missed details on that one. Also missed details on the hobbies one but due to distraction not unknown vocabulary.

14 Likes

I wonder if Noun Town has other grammar related locations:
Particle Place
Adjective Alley
Conjunction County

8 Likes

Jan 31, Tue of Week 6 of Winter Q1 2023 :snowman::snowflake:

Death Note EP.19-21.

So-matome N2 Listening Ch.1 [2/5].

ガラスのうさぎ [10/18].

I also tried listening to Japanese history audiobook in 聴き放題 that I had listened to a while ago (聞くだけで一気にわかる日本史). I don’t have text, but I read 日本史 on Bookwalker along.

Thanks. I feel I need to crack this one somehow. Also, numbers at least up to 10k.

I also tried Years (Eras), which aren’t listed inside the cheat sheet. It might be easier if I know history by Japanese year, perhaps (but rough estimate is relatively easy).

12 Likes

personally working on 1-10 and 1-100 at the moment!

5 Likes

:headphones: :desktop_computer: :sound: :snowflake: January 30

Listened to Teppei for beginners #36 and played over an hour of BU$TAFELLOWS.

12 Likes

At least onomatopoeia will be covered by your friendly neighborhood’s Onomatope-ya once it’s done. I’m really looking forward to that one.

8 Likes

:snowflake: Day 31, 31st of January :snowflake:

:headphones: Back to my Home Post

I tried out this episode of Barista Simulator by 牛沢 today. Solo comentary and very clear and steady flow of narration. Pleasant to listen to, though again I didn’t see any game I was interested in. Like the other channel, something to listen to in the background.

15 Likes

Nothing new really, just doing active immersion of Shin Chan after work and then relisten to the episodes on my way to work the next morning. Its fun, I am understanding more and more. Some days I feel like I cant understand and other days I understand some.

13 Likes

Today I watched an episode of Season 2 of The Way of the House Husband. I was trying to watch it with Japanese Subs but I didnt understand much without checking the english subtitles. Still, I managed to understand some bits, and thats better than nothing!

(Home Post)

It’s quite fun, but definitely better as a casual thing for reviewing vocab rather than trying to use it to learn anything new.
There are some fun mini games, like having to serve customers the items they ask for in a shop, and a treasure hunting game where you need to follow directions and that sort of thing.

The main issue for me has been that its pretty buggy - I’ve had a lot of instances of random buttons on my controller stopping working, and interact-able objects failing to respond, and moving around and grabbing items can feel a bit janky. The grabbing in particular can get pretty frustrating when you are in a timed minigame and you are struggling to grab an item you need!

So overall, I’d say its worth at least trying out the demo on Steam since its free - but unless you are really keen to play it its probably worth waiting for them to patch some of the bugs first!

14 Likes

:headphones: :desktop_computer: :sound: :snowflake: January 31

Listened to Teppei for beginners #37 and #38, plus played BU$TAFELLOWS about 1.5h.

The month is over! I kinda started this challenge just to try so I’m a bit surprised I didn’t miss a single day. I’ve been doing it mostly low-effort but even like that I feel like it’s helped, so although I initially planned to do it just for January I’m going to continue for February as well.

14 Likes

Listened to a few episodes of my new bff teppei whilst walking the dog at lunch time (she met some nice little dogs but they didn’t want to do anything other than sniff-greet) and during my mid-morning break. Can only remember the last one where he’s saying how his spanish wife has passed N2 and some tips on JLPT studying - read a lot, listen a lot.

Oh, as that was the most recent episode, I let the spotify play run and it played a couple more podcasts by people I don’t normally listen to, who was it? akane and yuyu. The Akane one was ok, more difficult than teppei but not too bad. The yuyu one felt like natural japanese speed (please don’t tell me he slows it down!) and was interesting to listen to but I didn’t understand much - though I felt cool, it’s definitely where I’d like to get my level to (いつか!)

14 Likes